What a duesy!!!!

trimacar

Chris - over the years I have seen a lot of "neoclassics" & "replicars" described as "Duesenbergs" - Clenets, etc. Are you saying ACD would welcome ANY of them, even if they don't bear as much as passing resemblance as long as the owner says it's supposed to be an ACD car? Interesting. Glad we don't do that over in the Packard Club! :D :D

MY EYES, MY EYES!! OMG that really is the poorest excuse for a car. He has no concept of lines, proportions or style. It is devoid of anything remotely attractive. (I think I threw up in my mouth a little)

There is a guy around here who built his own car body out of plywood. It looks like a packing crate with fenders. It just started looking nice after this.

Bob, what did he use - steel, aluminum or glass? Agree it is a nice job - the workmanship looks good but what he did that SO many kit cars, replicas and neoclassics don't do is pay attention to porportion. It is not too low, or too long and low to look right. And it does not appear to be a small frame emulating a larger car. If he built it himself he must have designed it himself, which in itself takes a bit of skill. Is the car still around? What is it based on?

Guest ChrisSummers

Steve, we've had some pretty wacky "replicas" show up in the past, so I'd be inclined to say yes. The 2nd Generation cars are allowed to participate in regional meets and the national reunion, where they get their own parking area. Generally no one has a problem with them as long as an owner doesn't try to pass one off as an original car...which would not be a problem with the car in question.

I really do feel for the car's owner. I'm sure that this really is the best he can do and that he has some degree of pride in it. That said, that same description likely also applied to the engineer who designed the Ford Pinto's gas tank.

Edited by ChrisSummers (see edit history)

Guest Foggy norm

The car Bob H. posted, I probably would walk over to at a meet. Though, I would recomend, he swap the freightliner swan ornament for something else, considering he did such a nice job.

Back to the forum car. Most artist's step back to admire their work (except on billboards),the effort that was put into this (admirable) had to be in tiny confines.

OK, I'd like to respectively request that this post thread be ended now, with no more posts. I don't think I can delete the entire thread, but if a moderator wants to do so, that's fine.

I received a private message pointing out the fact that this thread was somewhat cruel to the creator of this vehicle.

After reflection, I agree, and appreciate the reality check.

You see, I fell into the same trap that so many people do every day on the highway. The cars that are cutting you off, or are seemingly in your way, aren't people, they're "traffic", and thus depersonified.

I did the same thing with this vehicle. I didn't think of the person behind the wheel, so to speak, and if the creator of this read the postings, he'd be hurt.

I apologize. David Coco Winchester Va.

David, That's very humane of you. I guess what pressed so many buttons and provoked such adverse comments was it being called a Duesenberg, the holy grail of American cars.

I totally agree. If it looked ANYTHING at all like a Duesenberg, I would not have been so harsh. Since it is so misrepresented, I have to call it as I see it.

Guest Foggy norm

If I had put that much effort and money building something so unique, I would have put my name on it. His choice of name cause's suspect, and ire.

The very idea that the car was built, using long lost prints from Duesenberg, is a flat out lie. For that alone, he deserves a good drubbing. Sorry, but I have no pity for the guy. He's not a bad craftsman. If he owned an English wheel, he might be able to build a nice looking car. Just stay away from modern running gear, You end up with that Pinnochio look every time. You have to keep the radiator at or near the front axle centerline.