POLO GREEN CONVERTIBLE FOUND!!!

Guest steveskyhawk

Guest steveskyhawk

The only part of this car that is black is the vent window frames. This picture did not come from this forum. CROW is served!

Guest mongeonman

I am sure i saw this pics somewhere before and it was talking about a law about driving with the windows down in a convertible car.I will try to find it.

1. Wasn't the original discussion about a Polo Green being produced at the Craft Center? All this picture shows is a POSSIBLY green car with a Maryland tag. No proof of the paint being original.

2. Maybe the photographer is one of the guys that photograph UFO sightings.

3. IMHO, it makes no difference if a PG 'vert was factory produced or not, just as I am sure MHO makes no difference to most people on this forum.

........ Jim

Guest steveskyhawk

For the naysayers I pose this question. What is the color of the car in the garage (background) behind the gunmetal grey convertible? Look black to you? Wrong. It is Polo Green. Now look at the convertible with the Maryland plate. We know the vent window frames are black and they clearly look black. Does the body look like the window frames? Of course not.

One last word: Look at the shadow under the Polo Green Convertible. Pretty obvious it is an overcast day. Polo Green lights up like a light bulb when it is in bright sunlight. If you look at the pinstripe on the trunk you can see the green in the adjacent paint.

Truthfully I don't care if you agree that this car is green or that it is original. Some people believed the world is flat for a long time too.

How would you like your crow?

post-53748-14313868122_thumb.jpg

post-53748-143138681228_thumb.jpg

I don't know about polo green converts (don't like the color on coupes) but the Gray car is SWEEEEEET!

For the naysayers I pose this question. What is the color of the car in the garage (background) behind the gunmetal grey convertible? Look black to you?

Truthfully I don't care if you agree that this car is green or that it is original. Some people believed the world is flat for a long time too.

How would you like your crow?

Suddenly I have started feeling sorry for Mr Skyhawk, it appears he has more problems than we first thought and the next time he renews his FAA license, he will probably fail the color recognition test.

Get well soon.

Guest steveskyhawk

The shadow on the ground next to the MG indicate bright sunshine. Similar light on the green convertible would have the same effect. Sorry the convertible isn't green enough for some but that is only an indication that you aren't familiar with polo green.

Guest steveskyhawk

Suddenly I have started feeling sorry for Mr Skyhawk, it appears he has more problems than we first thought and the next time he renews his FAA license, he will probably fail the color recognition test.

Get well soon.

Barney Eaton

My color recognition is fine. Thank you for your concern. Actually your inability to see color is an indication of colorblindness so you might want to get your own eyesight checked. In all fairness I am a little dyslexic so to avoid any more errors to your notes, I wont be sharing any VIN numbers with you. Sorry

Speaking of eyesight; this reminds me of a funny story. While on our way back to California from the Bahamas a high profile client came into the cockpit to ask some advice about purchasing his own aircraft. He asked about traffic recognition/avoidance equipment. At one point he asked if the Westwind we were currently flying had TCAS (Traffic Collision Avoidance System). Without hesitation the captain replied "oh no we don't need that; I have two windshields and Steve. He can see traffic that is 50 miles away."

Edited by steveskyhawk
Expand acronym (see edit history)

Polo green is almost dark enough to look black.

I had a polo green Seville that had front end damage. I replaced the front bumper (called a facia) with a black one, and at first glance, you don't see that they're two different colors.

I sold the car without repainting the bumper, and the guy never noticed.

Edited by harry yarnell (see edit history)

Steve,

Not interested in getting into the urination tournament, but jeepers, I see what you mean. It can look black. I can also prove that it was shipped Mineral Blue. If only GM had kept records like BMC we would not need to have this discussion. By the way I have judged several Polo Green cars and know exactly what they look like.

post-31283-143138683198_thumb.jpg

The pertinent point is even of the photo of the car was very clearly polo green, without seeing a pic of the RPO label it (rightfully) wouldn't be accepted that it wasn't a repaint.

I had a polo green '94 Concours, when it wasn't being hit with full sun it looked black. I had a number of people over the years I had it that were surprised by the "color change".

Guest 60electra225

I really don't care what color it is. To me, they are still ugly and no amount of paint can change that ! :):)

EDIT: Seems I offended someone by my flippant comment above, judging by the personal message I received

"Thanks for the pretty rude and offending comment on the Reatta... Should we do the same on your forum for your nasty 60 electra?? Put the shoe on the other foot and keep your mouth shut if you don't have anything good to say".

It was meant to be tongue in cheek, so if I did offend anyone else, please accept my apology.

Edited by 60electra225 (see edit history)

Steve has all the photos and information on the owner. Otherwise, why would he post a single photo from a hard angle and say "that's proof". He knows that to verify any car, the VIN tag and more distinct photos which clearly show it is the Polo Green convertible, including the original wheels in the owners garage, would provide the proof the rest of us need.

I have talked to Steve and he says he has a full set of Polo Green convertible photos and the original documents. H ehas photos of the wheels and the VIN clearly indicates it's Polo Green origins. It's not a repaint, Steve has proven that with the photo set and VIN tag, etc that he has shown me.

...Then why isn't he showing all that to the rest of us...?

Guest mongeonman

If i had the proofs i would post it and then it would end this and i would not pass for someone who needs attention.Thats what i think like it or not.

Steve has all the photos and information on the owner. Otherwise, why would he post a single photo from a hard angle and say "that's proof". He knows that to verify any car, the VIN tag and more distinct photos which clearly show it is the Polo Green convertible, including the original wheels in the owners garage, would provide the proof the rest of us need.

I have talked to Steve and he says he has a full set of Polo Green convertible photos and the original documents. H ehas photos of the wheels and the VIN clearly indicates it's Polo Green origins. It's not a repaint, Steve has proven that with the photo set and VIN tag, etc that he has shown me.

Bryan I totally agree with you, if you have seen the vin and other proof then talk to Steve again and have him post the proof. IT IS THE ONLY WAY THIS WILL END. We all need to stop playing 3 year old games and settle this thing once and far all.

Chuck Kerls

Guest Kingsley

Booreatta has it right on the money.

Perhaps it is that all someone (not necessarily limited to this post) wants is attention and exposure for his advertising. Apparently someone subscribes to the theory that "you sell the sizzle, not the steak".

Too much sizzle going on.

Booreatta has it right on the money.

Perhaps it is that all someone (not necessarily limited to this post) wants is attention and exposure for his advertising. Apparently someone subscribes to the theory that "you sell the sizzle, not the steak".

Too much sizzle going on.

In other words:

"Where's the beef??"

I am familar with polo green paint finishes. That color has a lot of flake in it and sparkles in the bright sunlight so the poor pic here is obviously not polo green. Claret red also appears to be black in certain lighting

I searched dozens of pages of MSU related keywords and came up with nothing.

Guest HessLakeGuy

Carolyn and I have owned one of the 1991 polo coupes since February, 2002, and nobody has ever confused it with a black Reatta.

The paint on my car is strong, and the original gold pin stripes jump right out at you.

When it was judged in Ames, IA July 30th of 2010, the judges (Ed Farnell included) knew it was polo green, even though it was dark and wet outside.

With the convertible in question I looked at two things:

A) Comparison of the color of the car with the black tires AND

B) I looked for a gold pinstripe.

Review the picture again and see what you think...........................

Tom

We are not the only ones seeking the elusive Polo Green convertible...

We are not alone. :eek:

Image2.jpg

I looked at the pic of the convertible in a paint program. Its a one of the lower resolution pix of a Reatta that comes up on google. Even though its fairly big 800X493 its only 56K worth of information and compressed all to hell. The only greenish pixels in that picture are the reflection of some trees on the side of the freeway. The car is shined to a high polish and also reflecting the sky and clouds on the deck lid. The overall color of the pixels are black and gray where the finish isn't reflecting something...

Image2.jpg

Guest 60electra225
"To me, they are still ugly" - this is from someone who likes Tatras ?

As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder - but I know which is worth more.

Interesting. There is a Polo Green Caddy down the street from me. It is a very distinctive green more like BRG than Brewster. Is oviously green in almost any light. Of course that is my vision through replacement lenses, others might see it differently - not color blind, just "differently".