Just found a '53 today..

NCReatta

While driving around today, I came across a '53 super 2dr Hardtop sitting in a shed. I looked it over, knocked on the door to the house and got no answer, looked it over a bit more.

Looks to be a good solid project car. Normal surface rust, but nothing bad. It was pretty tight in the shed, and it looked like they were using the '53 for a storage place as it was pack with junk.

Not knowing a ton about older Buicks, are these rare? Expensive? is there anything I should look for on it? If I were to pick it up, what would be a fair price?

Just curious! Thanks! :)

P.S., I was quite saddened when I saw it wasn't a '54.. :(

Guest my3buicks

I prefer the 53 styling, the 54's just look like a 53 parked in front of a circus mirror LOL

53's are nice as they started Buick's V8 era plus they are the Golden Annv year.

Loved my 53 and wish it could be back in my garage!!

post-30591-143138674976_thumb.jpg

Edited by my3buicks (see edit history)

If it's a Super series 50 it will have the new V8 motor - nice car.

My preference though in 1953 is the Special Series 40 as this is still fitted with a Straight Eight motor. Buick ran out the remaining the remaining stocks of the 263 motors in the 53 Special which makes these the last of an era car.

It will most likely have a Dynaflow transmission and a 3.6 rear end and is probably the liveliest combination you can find - all in an extremely attractive body.

Price varies considerably and is really dependant on condition.

Just noticed you ID the car as a Super so disregard the Special info - Still a really nice car and worth buying

Edited by 50jetback
misread information (see edit history)

I prefer the 53 styling, the 54's just look like a 53 parked in front of a circus mirror LOL

53's are nice as they started Buick's V8 era plus they are the Golden Annv year.

Loved my 53 and wish it could be back in my garage!!

Ouch.. That's a pretty brutal description of a '54..

I think you might have made a life long enemy out of Mr.Earl... ;) you should sleep with one eye open.. Particularly at the nationals next year...

I dunno about you guys, but I rather like the circus mirror look.. :D

Guest my3buicks

LOL, by that I meant the mirror that makes a stout person long and thin - It was an offhand compiment actually - although I still prefer the 53"s

I thought you would say the 53 looks like a great car but the designers perfected it in 54. But apparently My3 Buicks threw you for a loop.

Nah, I'm not offended. I mean I could get into the fact that at the end of the 1953 sales year there were so many '53's still left on the dealership floors and lots that they held up on production and offering of the BEAUTIFUL new longer and lower body styled '54's until January of '54 (When most all of the 53's had either been sold or practically given away) And that once the 54's came on the market with the new panoromic windshields and french curve roof line laying so graciously on the beltline of that new low slab sided body, sales rose so much that Buick joined Chevrolet and Ford to become part of the Big Three. But I won't get into all that because I trully like the 53's and wouldn't dare say anything to offend all my friends who own one. But I would recommend that Mark look seriously into buying this barn find. Then sell it for a profit for to buy a '54. :)

Ok guys.. enough bickering about the 54/53 deal... ;) Though I do side with Mr. Earl..

Oh, and my3buicks.. nice attempt at a comeback there.. :rolleyes:

I went back again today, and knocked on the door again.. still no answer. I might go back again this weekend sometime, and see if I can get ahold of the guy. And maybe snap some pics.

And Lamar is right.. I would be selling it and using the profits for a '54.. :D

Not that it matters, but I have never cared for the front of the '54. It looks like a sad fish to me. I'm partial to the '55-'56.

well I guess I'm just an ol' Greek fisherman then. :D John that's funny that you say that. Over the years I have heard some folks say it looks like a sad face but more seem to say it looks like a happy face. Sometimes when I look at mine I see the sad face you speak of but most of the time they look happy. I guess it's all just a state of mind.

I realize that this is a thread about a 53 but I just have to interject and stop all the Sad Faced references to the 54...

It was and always will be "The Beautiful Buy"

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5AVKRTX0UK8?hd=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Guest santa fe

Great little video!

I'll be there but I'm "brinin" the 53 Special. We'll see how well she does driving from New Mexico. We'll also be brinin the trumpet and the bottle of Jack!!! Should be a great road trip.

Finally got up with the owner today. Turns out he saved the thing from the crusher a couple years ago. He's the hot rudder type, and was seriously considering chopping the top, lowering it, and making the car a rat rod.

I asked if he was interested in selling and how much he wanted, and he said "no" he wasn't particularly interested in selling, but if someone came along with 1500 - 2000 in cash, he'd probably take it.

I got a better look at the car, and it does have some rust.. The floor boards have some holes, the back quarter panels and rocker panels are pretty rusty.. And the seats look like they've been recovered about 3 times.

Other than that, it looks like it's all there. Not in very good condition, but it's there.

Thoughts on what a fair price might be? I don't really think I'm really able to take on a project like this, but it's a curiosity to me.. :)

What would you do with the car? Fix it or turn it over? Restore it or just get it running? This is the type of thing I'd be asking myself if I were looking at it. What's it gonna cost to do what I would want to do and where will I be equity wise when I was done.

Like a wise ol gentleman from North Carolina recently told me about a similar transaction. I think you'd make more on the car if you did't buy it. :)

Yeah, I agree with that! I think I don't need to take on another project right now.. Heck, these Reattas are a full time job! :D