1933 Twelve coupe roadster

West Peterson

I saw this ad located on the PackardInfo website. I think I've seen the ad before, but I don't ever recall making note of the color scheme on the turtle deck. I have seen that way of coloring on other roadsters, but I've never seen it done on a Packard before. I love that look. I love the turtle deck matching the color of the beltline... even better if the fenders were that color as well. Has anyone seen an original or restored car done this way?

Note: Maybe it's just a bad scan of the ad.... or, the color was added in the pre-press stripping department, and they cut the wrong line to add color????

post-33613-143138632957_thumb.jpg

Edited by West Peterson (see edit history)

Like many other colors and color combinations, it could be an artists imagination, and not a color combination available in 'real life'.

I'm not really speaking about the color so much as the way in which it was painted. Like Keiser pointed out, Studebaker offered it, and Gardner roadsters showed a similar version in their catalog as well... probably others. If a customer would have wanted it that way, I'm sure Packard would have obliged. It's an absolutely stunning way to paint a car (white sidewalls aside). I've just never seen anyone do it to a Packard. I'd like to, though. It's really cool.

post-33613-143138634096_thumb.jpg

Edited by West Peterson (see edit history)

Also offered as the standard color scheme on the low dollar Model A cabriolets (not roadster); so this was probably not a "wild" or outlandish thing in the day. It does work nicely for sure.

(no additional comment on WWW, lights, stone gaurds, fox tails, step plates, tag toppers, curb feelers, etc. :D )

• 3 weeks later...

I missed this when it was 1st posted. I've seen this paint scheme on several 900 coupe roadsters. I guess it's a matter of taste. I'd also call it a "throw back" design, meaning something like this was more common prior to 33 and I always find the short-lived 10th series to be somewhat transitional. Personally I've never been a fan of different colors on belt lines only. I like the fender/beltline treatment better. It works on some cars better than others. The topic car, not so bad perhaps due to the colors as shown. Would I do it to my 33 or 34? Probably not.