Value Questions Coming In Daily

Steve_Mack_CT

Just a suggestion that we have seen so much of these lately they may warrant a separate section. They really don't belong in buy sell because the vehicle may not be for sale yet, and owner may not even want to sell ultimately.

I am envisioning a section with a brief overview of the 1-5 scale, and maybe some other valuation FAQs or tips.

then posters can go there or their posts get moved there and the forum members can take a stab at the vehicles they feel comfortable commenting on.

Just a thought guys... (as if you have not already built a nice enough forum)

Thanks

That's a good idea for sure. What we seem to be seeing is numerous people inheriting cars, most of whom have no idea what to do with what they've inherited.

Discussing values of the cars is a little bit of a sticky wicket, without seeing the car in person. It's easy to give a general idea, but a specific price has so many variables. As we all know, a picture of a car doesn't always tell the story. I was once given advice on buying cars, first, never buy sight unseen, and second, when you do see the car, never buy at night or when it's raining.

I got burned once on that last one. Went to look at a 1957 Thunderbird, and met the guy at night in a parking lot, with a drizzle coming down. Car looked great, I bought it. Came to pick it up, in daylight with the sun out, holy wavy gravy batman, wasn't a straight panel on the car.

Oh well, I got off subject. Yes, let's get a separate forum for "what's it worth"!!!!!!!!!

Thanks guys, glad you like it. I agree totally A.J. - but part of it is selfish to kind of clear those out of the "general discussion" area; a balance though, because when they go to "Buy sell" sometimes they get hit with the "follow the rules" thing. How can they price if they have no idea of the value, and does it matter where they are from? Hence the new category.

That said, there is NO Substitute for doing your own legwork.

Some simple groundrules like pictures, basic descriptions like running or not, probably would help us help them!

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

Guest Xprefix28truck

I realize I don't play a big part in the forum, but if you put a special section in for "whats it worth", I think you will see a rise in it's use. My theory is that if you have a special section for it, you will basically be advertising for people to use it. As I have been here for a short bit compared to most of you, it seems as somewhat of an "unwanted" part of having this forum. People dodge in and out trying to find the info, and some never even come back to check for it. If this is something you are looking forward to doing, then give it it's own section. If you are not wanting more of it than you have now, I say you are better off to leave things alone......Why advertise for people to try and get a "free appraisal"...

I realize I don't play a big part in the forum, but if you put a special section in for "whats it worth", I think you will see a rise in it's use. My theory is that if you have a special section for it, you will basically be advertising for people to use it. As I have been here for a short bit compared to most of you, it seems as somewhat of an "unwanted" part of having this forum. People dodge in and out trying to find the info, and some never even come back to check for it. If this is something you are looking forward to doing, then give it it's own section. If you are not wanting more of it than you have now, I say you are better off to leave things alone......Why advertise for people to try and get a "free appraisal"...

In a way, I agree with that, but there is always the chance that the folks on the forum will educate those unknowing folks about the reality that their dreams of grandeur are misdirected and that the car in question may not be worth the gold or platinum as they thought it would be. At least here they may get a realistic evaluation.

Guest Xprefix28truck

I agree that some people dream of gold and platinum values. We have definately seen many....But if a person comes here looking for platinum values because of what they have seen on BJ. They will just think that some on here are meerly trying to undervalue the car for person gain.. There are definatley 2 sides to this story....

I agree that some people dream of gold and platinum values. We have definately seen many....But if a person comes here looking for platinum values because of what they have seen on BJ. They will just think that some on here are meerly trying to undervalue the car for person gain.. There are definatley 2 sides to this story....

Yep....that's why I said "there's a chance", remote as it may be.

Guest Dick Whittington

Seldom do I appraise a vehicle that is close to the description that I receive before I take the assignment.

Or, you could just send everyone to buy their own copy of Old Cars Report Magazine, like I use when I want to know what a car is worth.

Also, with scrap prices what they are, every old car is worth at least $500. They're paying $303 a ton here for cars with tires on.

Well either way is fine with me - just a suggestion... :)

Regarding one time posters, etc. I guess I am ok with that, if they are not "old car people" why hold that against them. This way, those inclined can help (as I may with cars I am familiar with) and at least for the others it gets them off the general discussion forum. Must be of some interest as there are a couple related threads out there...