39 packard 1700 new project

Guest olcrow

Guest olcrow

• just brought home this 1939 series 1700 (?) excited for sure. going to need some help with questions/answers directions from the forum. now hope the photo post!

post-69416-143138540301_thumb.jpg

Nice! We look forward to seeing your progress. One of my best friends here in Dayton just finished the resto of a 1939 Six, and he watches this forum from time to time. I'll make sure he sees any questions that arise.

Looks like the wheels are from Ford. I suspect you'll be looking for proper ones, or is this a "custom" project?

Guest olcrow

thanks for all the encouragement: a friend of mine put a bug in my ear a month or so ago.the gentleman who owned it said he drove into the garage 20+ years ago, was smoking real bad, that is where it has been ever since. some of the parts 'walked" off over the years, i have posted some of the wants on another aaca site. wondering is your friend in dayton has any extra parts that he would get rid of? i have done severl model a/t's, corvettes (ug) and others, none has got the heart beat up like this packard. the car has no rust anywhere that i can find, the floor is solid, all the glass is good, the top frame is all there, even the front header, looks like it was hacked out of piece of ash with a dull hatchet, would really like to find either a new replacement or an old one that i could use for a pattern. the wheels are ford-the good news-he had all original correct whells and hub caps up in the rafters.you all bet that i will be asking for info, posting things start to move, yep excited does not get close to how this 73 year old feels. it will be restored as close to original as i can afford, will NOT be a street rod!

Guest olcrow

thanks for the comment ben: under the tarp is a 47 business coupe, (packard) hope to bring it home this week for parts or ??? the owner said you buy-then take the tarp off....

good deal :)

Olcrow,

You're starting on theright foot here. A complete car with a lot of class! You'll find Packards are nice to work on. I had a 1940, everything is nice and solid in them, just beautiful cars. And after....just plain fun to drive. Congrats and good luck! Keep us posted.

Wow, that brings back a few memories. Many, many, many years ago, I worked next door to a brake repair shop. Walking past it I noticed one of these that had just had the brakes repaired and thought I'd go in and have a sticky. While I was drooling over it the owner came up and asked me what I thought of it. After 10 minutes of yakking he offered me the chance to take it for drive. Of course I excepted. :):):):) It was my first drive of a pre-war car, my first drive of a convertible and first my go at a left hand drive car. Twas a pretty good day for a real young bloke.

Danny

Guest olcrow

today had time to really take a long hard look/see-surprise-surprise, found the light switch has been removed with the knob and shaft has walked, the seats do not a a tear or no wear door panels are in great shape, the attached photo shows the dash and all the pieces that are missing, any idea where to start looking?

the engine is missing a few parts: air cleaner/fuel pump other than these items, it looks like i could install a battery and fire it up :) have found a lot of parts from ken, knobs window cranks, door handles, garnish molding etc.

regards b.j.

post-69416-143138541801_thumb.jpg

They show up on eBay from time to time. Here's a couple:

NOS Packard ? 110 series headlight switch | eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1930s-40s-Packard-NOS-Switch-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem53e78b9515QQitemZ360366970133QQptZVintageQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I don't know which one is correct, if either, but my friend, Pat, might know.

Edited by West Peterson (see edit history)

Congrats Olcrow! They say the better the start the better the finished product, looks like a great start!

You may want to get in touch with Ron Aquino AKA "Jr. Packard Ron" - not a big internet or forum guy but he does run a monthly ad in HMN with his contact info. Recently moved from MA to SC or NC. Very knowledgeable on these cars, and has a lot of stuff; I have found him reasonable on things, and his specialty is the Jr. cars.

I also recomend getting catalogs from Max Merrit, Hirsch and Kanter. I have been especially pleased with Merritt and Hirsch for what it's worth.

Last, spend the few bucks to join The Parckard Club (PAC) - well worth it for contacts, etc.

Keep us posted!!

If I recall correctly, you're looking for the parts necessary to change the headlights back to original. While this set on eBay is for an earlier car, I wonder if the parts you need might be the same???

It would certainly be a lot easier getting all the pices at once, rather than try to piece-meal (sp???) them one at a time.

1935 1936 1937 Packard Jr Headlights Excellent Original | eBay

What a gorgeous automobile!!

If I could find something like that I would sell the farm.

Good luck on the rehab.

There is a special place in my heart for Packards. You hit the jackpot finding this car, and a convertible at that.

Good luck. Keep the pictures coming.

Bill H

Guest olcrow

just a quick update will give more details tomorrow with photo's thanks for all the support and suggestions. today we started cleaning out the barn! i am new to the packard group will be posting photo's of fenders that were in the barn (yes they are for sale) bought the coupe nice body, good paint, no dash, no window garnish moldings, 6 cylinder,a transmission for a 37 packard (?) did not find any headlight parts, the set on e-bay i don't think will work-???- going back in the morning to haul another load.

b..j..

Guest olcrow

the last two days have been "tuff": three of us worked all day just to get inside the building (see photos) the scrapper was there with his truck and trailer hauled two big load to the yard, if only i knew what all was loaded?

got the 37 business coupe home, also the remains of a 46 pontiac business coupe. did not find any other parts for the convertible. maybe in the next weekl now who wants a 3 window coupe?

post-69416-143138547957_thumb.jpg

the last two days have been "tuff": three of us worked all day just to get inside the building (see photos) the scrapper was there with his truck and trailer hauled two big load to the yard, if only i knew what all was loaded?

got the 37 business coupe home, also the remains of a 46 pontiac business coupe. did not find any other parts for the convertible. maybe in the next weekl now who wants a 3 window coupe?

How about a photo of the three window coupe??

Guest olcrow

ok going to try to attach a couple of photo's of the coupe, there is very little rust on the body, the splash aprons are rust for the most part. car seems to be complete, however, like the convertible the garnish moldings, window channels, dash, vent window, are AWOL

post-69416-143138548486_thumb.jpg

post-69416-143138548509_thumb.jpg

Edited by olcrow
delet text (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest olcrow

finally got the barn cleaned out. found some interior parts and pieces, door handles, window cranks, etc. did not find a top bow :( one will show up sooner or later.

cleaned the interior leather, really turned out well, no rips or tears. ordered a few parts for the dash, doors. removed the instrument panel, under the dash looks like a disaster area, wires dis-connected, cut, taped......love a challenge..... it will be fixed! more as time permits, again thanks to all.

• 1 month later...
Guest olcrow

making some progress on the header: packard 32, said it was a bear to make:)

that's only the half of it! while the shapper was "happy" went ahead and cut out 7 cores. we have the "pattern" looking real good, fits, clamps, just right. all that is left on it-a lot of finish sanding. we have made the header in one piece, laminated ash, should be strong enough. now who all needs a header?:D

thanks to all that gave us support, even thanks to those who doubted us-like pouring gasoline on a fire...when we get one finished to a T i'll post photo's. don't jump ship yet we still have a ways to go. :o

Sounds good. I always assumed that the finger joint in the center of the original header was so it could be fit to the car it was destined for before glueing. Hopefully there isn't much variation from car to car. 6 or 8 should all be the same. Should fit '38-'40 though at some point the latches changed from 2 (3?) to just one center mounted latch but the basic shape should be the same. Definitely will not fit '37 and earlier, those are straight windshield.

Guest olcrow

thanks for the compliment west. when we finish it will fit my car-my idea would be to send it to a young man up north who even tho we have never met, has been a driving force on this project, let him look it over give us his feedback then we will go to the next step. bet you could guess who 32 might be :)

now to go one step forward: have you ever stop to realize just what a great bunch of guys that hang out on this site???? amazing.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest olcrow

the only advise i can offer on building a header by the seat of your pants-be patient! as jeff said in one of his e mails: it's a BEAR! intense labor, grover, my friend who is taken on this job, has found some new *(&&*( words) to use on things that don't go just the way they are suppose to....with all that being said i got mine today fits very nice, think grover has found the "nitch" to finish up the other 5 that he has cut out. he should have another one ready in a couple of days: give him a call if you are interested in one: 904 335 7797,

while all this has been going on, i have gotten the 37 coupe running, driving-to some degree-the brakes are push and pray for the time being, very exciting even in the yard. now that the header is done, i can get back on the convertible. thanks for all the encourgement

• 1 month later...