AACA Membership Album

john2dameron

lt wouldn't be a "proper" directory if some of the

members names were deleted from it.

My problem with any directory is that as soon as it is

printed, some things (addresses, phone numbers, cars

owned, etc.) have changed.

ls it possible to have a "living" directory?

Is it a "proper" directory if all the members aren't given one? Just asking........................Bob (one of)

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

It looks like this is a disease, possibly of oriental or sub-continental style. A few years ago when I wanted to telephone someone in USA, I was able to enter whitepages .com and find the phone number quickly. (Naturally I reached this also if I inadvertently omitted ".au" for Australian White Pages). A very esteemed and very elderly automotive historian, G Marshall Naul, enqired in the last Stutz Club Newsletter about use of fabric reinforced bakelite timing gears, because apparently he had been involved with this material and application in his youth. I have several relevant pieces of information which I cannot helpfully communicate to him. In polite language, that "beep"-head organisation can go and breed with themselves if they think I am going to waste $8/month to look up one set of contact data in USA. I will work out another way around the problem.

I would like to thank the AACA board for deciding to have this Album published. I hope the membership will make this publication a great success for the AACA. I ordered mine and did so after reading most of this thread. I have belonged to lots of different car clubs but none as long as AACA (1973) and find that the AACA is far superior than any other club.

Not to change the subject, at a region meeting it came up about membership and I stated I was a life time member and a lot of the folks at the meeting did not understand about being a lifetime member. Maybe in the Antique Automobile it would create additional income for the club if you had a article about the life time membership and the benefits to the club.

As for the others complaining about the board decision I say let them come up with a better idea to create income or stop complaining.

Guest billybird

We don't have very much privacy anymore. I can find a picture of my house on Google, One year believe it or not, I recieved 230 credit card applications { yes I kept up with it } I get catalogs from places I've never heard of, Invitations to auctions I'll never go to and solicitations from organizations I've not contacted, ever. It seems everyone else in the WORLD has my personnal information, whats one more going to hurt? However, if I call the hospital to check on a friend they say they can't tell me anything due to the privacy act. Wow; what a world we live in!

• 5 months later...
Guest Dick Whittington
When Harris Connect was hounding ATHS members to buy the truck book I probably got about 20 phone calls (that I did not answer, thanks to Caller ID) and a half dozen or more postcards that got more and more urgent as time went on. Since I knew I was not going to spend $130 for the book I did not want to talk to them and resented my information being given to them. Apparently ATHS did not furnish email addresses or my server deleted them as spam. If they call me this go around I will report them to the Do Not Call regis\try. Being a member of the AACA does not mean I have done business with Harris Connect so they have no right to call.

I received one call for the ATHS book, which I declined to purchase at the time. Ultimately I did opt to purchase the book and have no regrets.

AACA is no different from any other club. Dues increases are always met with resistance from general membership. Like the other clubs your BOD has looked for optional ways to fund the operation of the club. The credit card program is one. The book is another source. Some will participate, some will not. To me it is no big deal. I feel sure that the mailing list was set up to be a one time use for the book, and not to be shared with anyone else.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Got mine today. Here's my opinion....I am miffed (to put it VERY mildly)! Yes, I am listed in the album. UNFORTUNATELY, my car photo(s) was not included. Now what? I don't suppose there is a way to get a refund??

The product is 100% guaranteed. It seems that several photos did not make the magazine. Human error. Sorry, call the customer service number and they will take care of you.

Most of the people who have seen it have given it high marks for what it is. A membership album, not a history book. I have not had a chance to go through every page but looking forward to a snowy day to read about our members and their cars.

Did you pay for your copy? My friend got his FREE, but doesn't want to pay the postage to return it. How can they plan to make money on the thing if they give it away? :confused:

Got mine today. Here's my opinion....I am miffed (to put it VERY mildly)! Yes, I am listed in the album. UNFORTUNATELY, my car photo(s) was not included. Now what? I don't suppose there is a way to get a refund??

• 4 weeks later...

Just to close my part of this....I got a total refund today from the publishing company for the return of my book. I wish it would have turned out better with me owning a copy with my attachments in there, but at least I got my money back.

I leafed through a copy at White Post Restorations a couple of days ago.

It's actually very nice, a slick publication with stories of a lot of members and their cars.

At the back is a member roster, didn't look closely, but assume it's complete at the date of

publication.

I believe the problem is that it's, basically, an ego book. The ones who have cars pictured will

look at their picture and story, and that's it, won't look at others.

Reminds me of the traveling salesman's trick, take their business card and write your name on it. It's very, very difficult, to throw away something that has you name on it (other than junk mail, I can hear the comments coming now!)

Book is nicer than I would have thought, though.

I have not seen it. I sent in a photo of my car. A couple of weeks ago, a local AACA Chapter member mentioned to me how great the book was and how well my car's photo and write up appeared. He is going to bring it to our meeting next week so I can take a peek at it. Now I guess I may have to think about buying one.... if David's theory is correct.

......Now I guess I may have to think about buying one.... if David's theory is correct.

How would one go to purchasing a copy at this late date? I have a regional member that thinks his car is pictured in the book. I have no other details, but I'm sure he will probably want to purchase a copy before long.

Wayne

• 3 weeks later...