"My Classic Car" TV Show

Bob Hill

Have you ever noticed the array of photographs that appears when you access the forum? Click on a photo and see a marvelous car. With my personal preferences, I almost always click on a brass car, and often on an open '20s car or an open classic or a '50s sports car. Different strokes for different folks. But, given that we're the AACA, why are so many of the photos an obviously modified car - mag wheels, weird paint, lowered body, whatever? If we're going to talk the talk, shouldn't we walk the talk, too?

Gil Fitzhugh, Morristown, NJ

Admiration of workmanship, and the basic charter of a club with a specific purpose, are two totally different things, IMHO.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I love your posts!

When I look at the purpose or mission statement of a former club I used to belong to says; To pool together as much information as possible to assist ******** owners in the RESTORATION and PRESERVATION of their vehicles. To promote interest in ******* vehicles, their HISTORY and RESTORATION and PRESERVATION and above all to make owning a ******* and enjoyable experience. I just have to wonder if the people running the club are serious. When they display a featured car on the front cover and story line of a full CUSTOM ******* flames and all lowered to the ground!

Can anyone tell me what that cars has to do with the words of the club mission statement??? Is there any wonder why I have ended up at AACA??

One other beef I have is cars done with every possible option, especially engine option, interior, wheel combo. Making a car with all those goodies could have come from the factory that way, but most didn't. Restoring means back to ORIGINAL, not the way it could have come. Those cars should be judged in a modified category. As far as the TV goes, my wife says the TV will last longer if I watch something else.:eek:

Don

Guest Jim_Edwards
Depends on how fancy you want to get Jim. My '56 Chevy attached below is what I call a beater. Actually it's a very good driver and has toured all over the country. I paid $4500.00 for it, put another $1500.00 in the interior, and little else. I almost got disqualified at its first adventure on the AACA show field as a DPC candidate, because it had a horrid exhaust system. I replaced it and have gotten driver awards ever since. DPC, a great way to start in the AACA hobby. As far as an investment, I would bet I'd get more for it today, than what I have in it, but I have no intentions in selling it, cause we're headed to the Founders Tour Saturday morning for a week long tour.;)

I don't know about excited, but a lot of people give us, and actually gave us thumbs up from our trip home from Charlotte this past weekend. Just the fact that it's old and red has a lot to do with it. We have fun driving it too.:)

Wayne

Wayne I don't think I'd put your wagon in the same category as the basic stripped down model of any make, and it's certainly outside of the intended context of my comments.

I have an acquaintance who owns an auto repair shop and about six years ago a local was cleaning out their barn and asked if he wanted a car that had sat in it for no telling how many years. It turned out to be a '57 Ford Custom 300 four door post, 6 cylinder, with 3 on the tree. Aside from a bit of dust, somewhat worn typical non-descript original upholstery, and rubber floor mats (no carpet) the car is in amazingly good condition. The car has original paint in probably the most God awful shade of green ever put on a car. The car does run. Now we have a fair nest of car restoration nuts around here and in that six years no one has probably given the car more than a passing glance, though I'm sure the space could be better used by my acquaintance's business. That's the kind of car that I think would fare better in the hands of even a Street Rodder or even a low rider guy, but the sucker is just too darn plain (more like plainly ugly, and I like a well restored or a well maintained, all original Ford just as much as other cars.)

Maybe I should just buy the sucker, knock the dust off and take it to a meet just to see the reaction. I'd probably have to put a sign on it saying "please step away prior to puking.";)

Jim

Guest Jim_Edwards
Have you ever noticed the array of photographs that appears when you access the forum? Click on a photo and see a marvelous car. With my personal preferences, I almost always click on a brass car, and often on an open '20s car or an open classic or a '50s sports car. Different strokes for different folks. But, given that we're the AACA, why are so many of the photos an obviously modified car - mag wheels, weird paint, lowered body, whatever? If we're going to talk the talk, shouldn't we walk the talk, too?

Gil Fitzhugh, Morristown, NJ

Gil I think you forget that not all who post on the site are AACA members. They may not be a member of any club. They come here because they find the site to be the best for getting good answers to questions really fast. The latter being a fact we should all be proud to have exhibited.

Jim

Wayne I don't think I'd put your wagon in the same category as the basic stripped down model of any make, and it's certainly outside of the intended context of my comments.

I have an acquaintance who owns an auto repair shop and about six years ago a local was cleaning out their barn and asked if he wanted a car that had sat in it for no telling how many years. It turned out to be a '57 Ford Custom 300 four door post, 6 cylinder, with 3 on the tree. Aside from a bit of dust, somewhat worn typical non-descript original upholstery, and rubber floor mats (no carpet) the car is in amazingly good condition. The car has original paint in probably the most God awful shade of green ever put on a car. The car does run. Now we have a fair nest of car restoration nuts around here and in that six years no one has probably given the car more than a passing glance, though I'm sure the space could be better used by my acquaintance's business. That's the kind of car that I think would fare better in the hands of even a Street Rodder or even a low rider guy, but the sucker is just too darn plain (more like plainly ugly, and I like a well restored or a well maintained, all original Ford just as much as other cars.)

Maybe I should just buy the sucker, knock the dust off and take it to a meet just to see the reaction. I'd probably have to put a sign on it saying "please step away prior to puking.";)

Jim

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Jim, that 57 Ford custom is just the kind of car that Hemmings Classic car magazine is looking for. In the last couple of years they have featured many plane jane's. This last year they featured a car very similar to one you describe with the exception of a automatic. In the past people have restored or hot rodded all the high end cars and the plane janes were used for race cars or parts cars. It is the plane jane that gets the attention at car shows where I'm from these days because they are now the rare cars.

Don

Guest Foggy norm

Darn, Some facinating and very good responses, I had to back track to the original question. Agreeing with most, yes...the show now sucks, for what I like to view, antique original. Just as the word "awesome" has become very very over-used to the point of being annoying, so has the word "classic". Classic what? People today think an old car that couldn't possibly have drivin them home from the hospital is a classic, not antique.

As a believer of Detroit steel, the waining of the hobby is also detroits fault. Producing car's that have become compressed and electronic (understandably), they've become a nightmare to work on, unless you own a set of tool's from every country in the world. Detroit, in my opinion, has dug their own hole. There is no loyality to a brand when the driver is terrified to open the hood, heck, even search for equipment to change a flat! Producing vehicle's for Dealer repair only, doesn't allow future shadetree mechanic's and car nut's to evolve. No doubt everyone here could tell detroit how to improve customer loyality,ie. owner involvement in their cars operation. In other word's, creating tommorow's classic's. The public does have a voice, remember when they tried to eliminate the unnecessary GRILL!!

The point, as I see it is. To instill the love of original vehicle's, make car's the public can get involved with personnally. The progression, or should I say regression, would be to attempt to acquire an older vehicle, one that has a bit more style, chrome, and has that touch of being Classic.

Guest oldbill

Most folks under 50 may like the way the older cars look, but have no interest in the mechanical inovations that brought the automobile to its present state. Hydraulic brakes, turn signals, flathead v8's, straight 8's, overhead valve engines, magnetos, 6 volt electrical systems, alternators, pointless ignition systems ect. Shows like MCC don't help either. Instead of teaching a little about the old technology (and building some interest therein) they just show the shape of the vehicle and the shiny paint and of course the quintessential 350 F.I. Motor... No wonder the hobby is shrinking and with the lack of interest in the old techology the cost to replace those parts in going thru the roof! Just my thoughts on the matter .... oldbill "Charter Member of S.P. O. T. - Society for the Preservation of Old Technology.

Guest rideswithchuck

Don't blame Dennis Gage. He's just trying to hold on to his audience. I know first hand how few people are actually interested in the old iron. I have a YouTube channel, "rideswithchuck". I have video of some of the rarest and most beautiful old cars. If they get 400 views in a year they're doing good. A custom hot rod will get 5000 views in a blink of the eye. Though the classics don't get many views they give my channel some serious class.

But don't sell the hot rodders short. Many of them attend Classic Car shows and appreciate these cars. It's not easy justifying the expense of a Packard or other antique automobile.

Anyway, the hod rodding aftermarket is HUGE, particularly in comparison to the "authentic" side of the hobby. There are huge companies like Edelbrock, Summit Racing, Pete & Jakes, etc., who drive the advertising and therefore the content on those shows. There's just no way, say, Bob's Automobilia or Kanter can compete with their marketing and financial power. So you're going to see more and more shows moving to showcase cars that can sell product placed by manufacturers whose demographic is hot rodders. It's not simply who will watch, but who will PAY.

It sucks, but there's probably no single company in the restoration field with the means to step up and sponsor even one episode, never mind an entire series.

Even Year One, a company that I respect and have done a lot of business with, has gone the restomod route with some of the things they promote. Recall the Burt Reynolds Edition Bandit Trans-Ams where instead of strict restorations they made significant upgrades all around. Were the upgrades improvements? Its in the eye of the beholder I suppose.

Guest Jim_Edwards
Darn, Some facinating and very good responses, I had to back track to the original question. Agreeing with most, yes...the show now sucks, for what I like to view, antique original. Just as the word "awesome" has become very very over-used to the point of being annoying, so has the word "classic". Classic what? People today think an old car that couldn't possibly have drivin them home from the hospital is a classic, not antique.

As a believer of Detroit steel, the waining of the hobby is also detroits fault. Producing car's that have become compressed and electronic (understandably), they've become a nightmare to work on, unless you own a set of tool's from every country in the world. Detroit, in my opinion, has dug their own hole. There is no loyality to a brand when the driver is terrified to open the hood, heck, even search for equipment to change a flat! Producing vehicle's for Dealer repair only, doesn't allow future shadetree mechanic's and car nut's to evolve. No doubt everyone here could tell detroit how to improve customer loyality,ie. owner involvement in their cars operation. In other word's, creating tommorow's classic's. The public does have a voice, remember when they tried to eliminate the unnecessary GRILL!!

The point, as I see it is. To instill the love of original vehicle's, make car's the public can get involved with personnally. The progression, or should I say regression, would be to attempt to acquire an older vehicle, one that has a bit more style, chrome, and has that touch of being Classic.

Amen!

Though not necessarily the least expensive entry into the hobby, a car that represents design achievement inside, outside, and under the hood is far more worthy of owning, investing in, and preserving. Today's cars are the personification of "Blah" in the appeal department so why the heck preserve the "Blah" from decades past. Or is it the younger generations have no real perception of "exciting" thanks to their entire lives having been exposed to mostly automotive "Blah."

Jim

Even Year One, a company that I respect and have done a lot of business with, has gone the restomod route with some of the things they promote. Recall the Burt Reynolds Edition Bandit Trans-Ams where instead of strict restorations they made significant upgrades all around. Were the upgrades improvements? Its in the eye of the beholder I suppose.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, I really got excited when they turned a Pontiac into a Chevy. These days you can make a REAL PONTIAC engine make just as much power and weigh the same. If they wanted to do a Chevy, they should have started with a Camaro. Oh, I forgot the bandit drove a Real Pontiac.

Amen!

Or is it the younger generations have no real perception of "exciting" thanks to their entire lives having been exposed to mostly automotive "Blah."

Jim

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jim, thirty years ago when my kids were about ten, if I fired up the race car and moved it around for servicing all the kids in the neighborhood would come out of the woodwork. I would have a crowd around me with all kinds of questions being asked. Today, when I do that, the same car won't draw a soul. Kids today are told by the government and schools that cars are bad, and at this time are a necessary evil until some other form of transportation takes it's place. Cars, by a great number of kids are considered just another (as my neighbor's kid next door says) appliance. See what living in Ca. can do for you and yours.

D.

In case anyone is interested, there is another thread, AACA Membership Album, which is about the special album being published by Harris instead of the Club Membership booklets that used to be put out by the Club. For those of you who received the postcard regarding this AACA project, you will see that members are encouraged to submittt photographs of their car(s). I just spoke with the person at Harris and when asked if I could submit a picture of a street rod, she quickly replied, "Absolutely!". Apparently there are NO guidelines for the year or type of car. My next request was to have my name totally removed from any type of publication she was working on.

Edited by R W Burgess
incorrect information (see edit history)

I stopped watching"My Classic Car" and ("2 Guys Garage") a long time ago and have removed it from my recording list. It was just a "Bait and switch." Here are some classic cars, Dennis will drive them and ask the same dumb questions and comments every time, but first, here are 20 mins of info-mercials to endure. But wait! There's more! Oh, yea, no there's nothing more. :( Certainly not worth the effort it takes to record.

I like "Car Crazy" sometimes. When it is only interviews, I delete it. I do like that it isn't filled with Meguires commercials. "Chop, Cut, Rebuild" is just the one guy pretending to drill a hole or do something productive.

Why isn't there a show purely about actual classic car restorations? Create a show that takes you from the find all the way thru to the final product of a REAL and high quality restoration with realistic timelines? Not some idiots in a junkyard pretending to "restore" a car in 3 weeks merely by painting it and not even rebuilding ANYTHING. Not a Floyd Cotterpin, yell at the employees, lie to your friends, fake "barn find" mustang and unrealistic timelines fiasco. I mean an actual restoration showing the artistry of reproducing the "as built" condition, NOT a custom or "rod-steration" a correct restoration with all the gory details. Planning, disassembly, organization, rebuilding EVERYTHING, making parts, finding parts, breaking parts kinda show that is more content than commercials.

Edited by Amphicar BUYER (see edit history)

I agree with all of the above. Actually the closest thing to that was the short lived National Geographic show last year with the Amphicar. I liked that show more than most and they even went to an auction and lost money at the end, pretty realistic in THAT regard.

The only problem might be that no one would accept the timeline of a year or more from start to finish, don't you think? Todd

I saw a show not about restoring a car, but the making of the Bentley from start to finish. The subject could be changed to restoring a car. I also saw a show on the history channel on the history and making of the air cooled VW. One thing I really liked was the filming especially on the Bentley where each shot was given enough time. So many of these new shows :confused:must have children as camera men. Just give most little kids a movie camera and you'll see what I mean :eek:. In these shows today the camera is zooming all about with noises of jet engines or something simulating the movement. Really poor cinematography standards these days.

Don

I understand your frustration with these shows. I gave up watching them long ago. Most aren't really "shows" but rather just half hour commercials paid for by the advertisers. My Uncle was program director for a local TV Station. Many shows including Sunday morning religious programs and professional wrestling are just paid commercials from which stations and networks derive quite a bit of income.

Edited by West Peterson (see edit history)

Guest dokks6t9

There was a show on tv, I believe, called classic car restoration. The car that was restored was a packard coupe. The show showed the car from start to finish and was great...I know guys that wouldn't look at a all original classic car. I also know guys who won't give a street rod the time of day. To me they're all snobs with attitudes. A car is a car is a car. I love them all, and enjoy see a beautiful model t as well as a 40 blown willys..

I sent a letter to Dennis of My Classic Car letting him know that there was a post about his show on this forum and my personal opinion on the matter. This is the basic response he gave me.

"Thanks for your email and I appreciate your input. Actually I am not only

the host of the show, but also the Executive Producer and the owner of the

production company. So I'm the one to blame for whatever it is.

I honestly have to say that I've never liked the name of my show because I

feel it's too limiting. My show is really about the entire car hobby; from

daily drivers to Duesenbergs and everything in between. This is an

extremely diverse hobby, and I try to touch on every aspect of it. In my

book, every car is legit and everybody gets to play. MCC is SPEED's highest

rated enthusiast program and it has been for years. That's because it is so

broad in its approach.

Hardcore classic guys complain there's too much hot rod. Hardcore hot

rodders complain there's not enough. Hardcore foreign car enthusiasts

complain that there's too much domestic. And the hardcore performance guys

complain there's not enough muscle. There will always be complainers;

that's why forums exist. And I'm OK with all that.

In reality tho, the show is very balanced across all these categories and

more. That's why it pulls the ratings it does and enjoys such broad

viewership. It is in fact this diversity that sets my show apart for all

others.

Actually if you look at my advertisers you would see that most of them offer

products across this whole spectrum too; from classic to restomod to hot

rod. They are simply following the growth and evolution of the hobby.

Trust me, the cars that are of primary interest to the typical AACA member

will always be a cornerstone of my program, but a lot of other bricks will

also go into the building that houses the car hobby as I see it and as I

reflect it on my show. I learned a long time ago that you can't make

everybody happy all the time. My goal is to make the largest number of

people happy the greatest portion of the time and do the most to promote the

car hobby overall in the process.

Dennis

So you have it right from the horses mouth.

Well, that is right from the horse's mouth, thanks Mike L. Interesting that Dennis says that the name "My Classic Car" is not really right for what they are trying to do, maybe it should be changed to reflect that most of the content is now hardly classic (either big OR small C).

I guess I do agree though that if a wide variety of old cars is the goal then he does indeed have everything from microcars to musclecars. I only wish the market was open to a show really just about historic cars. Todd

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I love your posts!

When I look at the purpose or mission statement of a former club I used to belong to says; To pool together as much information as possible to assist ******** owners in the RESTORATION and PRESERVATION of their vehicles. To promote interest in ******* vehicles, their HISTORY and RESTORATION and PRESERVATION and above all to make owning a ******* and enjoyable experience. I just have to wonder if the people running the club are serious. When they display a featured car on the front cover and story line of a full CUSTOM ******* flames and all lowered to the ground!

Can anyone tell me what that cars has to do with the words of the club mission statement??? Is there any wonder why I have ended up at AACA??

One other beef I have is cars done with every possible option, especially engine option, interior, wheel combo. Making a car with all those goodies could have come from the factory that way, but most didn't. Restoring means back to ORIGINAL, not the way it could have come. Those cars should be judged in a modified category. As far as the TV goes, my wife says the TV will last longer if I watch something else.:eek:

Don

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Todd, I think Dennis should change the name of the TV show to reflect what he promotes. Much like the mission statement of the EX club of mine above should change theirs!;)

Don

I sent a letter to Dennis of My Classic Car letting him know that there was a post about his show on this forum and my personal opinion on the matter. This is the basic response he gave me.

Trust me, the cars that are of primary interest to the typical AACA member

will always be a cornerstone of my program,

Dennis

So you have it right from the horses mouth.

I guess I missed all those shows then because seldom do I see ANY cars that are of the primary interest of the typical AACA member. He does know what AACA is about doesn't he? :confused:

RE: My Classic Car - I have always LOVED the content of the show. I personally envision the title to be more subjective than literal. Any old vehicle, A-Z, restored or rodded and everything in between is what Dennis does, I love that part. Many vehicles (not just cars) that you may never get to see. There's just too much thinly disguised advertising which breaks up the flow of the show. Yes, sometimes there are those segments that have a practical message that is more of a relative tech tip than an ad, but that is not the norm. Please do an infomercial or a car show.

There just aren't many really well done old car shows. Maybe it's just too difficult? (shrug) How about "Yee Olde Vintage Wheeled Apparatus"? :):rolleyes:

..................... I only wish the market was open to a show really just about historic cars. Todd

Todd used a word that everyone seems to be overlooking. Wishing will not make it so. Sponsorships are what make the wheels go around. Just ask Glenn Beck, and others who have strayed off message and had their shows shut down.

A suggestion. If you really want an Antique Car TV Show, find the money, or put up the money and your worries will be over with.;)

Wayne

Guest dokks6t9
Todd used a word that everyone seems to be overlooking. Wishing will not make it so. Sponsorships are what make the wheels go around. Just ask Glenn Beck, and others who have strayed off message and had their shows shut down.

A suggestion. If you really want an Antique Car TV Show, find the money, or put up the money and your worries will be over with.;)

Wayne

That about sums it up....

Well you have to hand it to Dennis. At least he takes responsibility for his show, can articulate his vision for it, and responded quickly.

While I said earlier that I wish he'd dial back the restomods a bit, and I hope he does, I still enjoy those shows where he takes the rare classic out for a spin. And yeah, I usually zip through the commercials.

As for Classic Car Restoration...I loved that show. If they had a telethon to raise money to bring it back I would contribute..as long as I got a CCR workshirt for my donation!

But the AACA isn't about street rods - it is about restoring a car to original specifications. While I don't care for street rods, I obviously have no problem with them having their clubs, etc - just don't try to bring them into the AACA.

I don't see bashing of any other part of the hobby. This thread was about the "My Classic Car" TV show being mainly about Street Rods and not what the show originally started as. How is that bashing the hobby? BTW, the majority of the forum members here are probably more into original cars and not street rods so we are somewhat biased in our views.

I don't go to the Street Rod forums trying to get them to think my original cars are great and the way to go.

[quote name=ted sweet;

90+% of the rods being built are kits and /or made from reproduction parts' date=' very few are being made from rare or valuable antiques.

Where did that statistic come from and how accurate is your "scientific" opinion????