Tire shops...WHY do they do this? :(

Guest Kitskaboodle

Guest Kitskaboodle

I recently polished my 90 factory Reatta wheels so after I finished them I took them to a local tire shop and had them demount my fairly new tires from my aftermarket wheels and then re-install them back onto my factory wheels.

Anyhow, I took them back home, (in my truck) installed them on the car and then hit them with some semichrome polish. (Project done, yes!) :)

Well, er....until I drove it around the following weekend. I could feel every bump & dip in the road like never before. :(

Drove home, checked the tire pressure.....was 45 psi!

Why on earth do these tire shops inflate them so dang high?

I dont know of any passenger cars that require that kind of inflation.

(I'm referring to factory wheel & tire size, not low profile stuff)

Most passenger cars are between 30-34 psi that I know of.

That's just stupid.....

If they're trying to "seat" the tire bead on the rim (if that's the reason) then

they should bring the psi back down to earth (after seating the tire) before the customer leaves their shop. :(

Your tire pressure experiences??

Kit

Edited by Kitskaboodle (see edit history)

It probably says the max for the tires are 45 psi and since you did not have the car there so they could look at the decal for the recommended inflation, they put 45 in and figured you could let out air easier than putting more in if they underinflated.

What hacks me is when they have the car and still put too much in.

Since my Reattas are not driven hard or seldom get that many miles per year, I go with the air pressure that makes it ride nice. In my case that is usually between 28-30

That might be a little low for long tire life but my tires will rot before they wear out.

Guest palosfv3

Inexpierenced or poorly trained tech. This also shows a lack of supervision and training on the behalf of the management.

Guest steveskyhawk

On more than one occasion I have driven out of a tire shop and heard the beads seating on my new tires within the first 100 yards. A little over inflated at this point is the lesser of the evils. I wouldn't have any complaint with this situation. It is pretty easy to let the excess pressure out. At 45 psi now the pressure will be about 30 psi in fifteen months. I usually give the guy enough money to buy a six pack prior to doing the work and my requests are complied with and have no need to re-torque.

had new tires put on a Reatta a couple weeks ago. They put the correct pressure in for the most part (it was 37 PSI on a couple wheels). I requested that the mount the wheel weights on the inside of the rim and use stick-ons, etc. I think they didn't prime the wheel right before they stuck the weight on, and now it's fallen off. I've got a horrid shimmy at 53-54 MPH... gonna take it in next couple days here... :(

I like having my tires a tad on the high side. I lean on the 'firm ride and handling' side of the ride spectrum. It also means I can be a little lazier about regularly checking pressures. Though 45 psi is in Suburban territory - not for a passenger car.

Check the lug nuts too. They seem to think tighter is better. I always retorque when I get home. Sometimes, I don't think I could remove the lug nuts with a lug wrench on the side of the road.

Insist they hand-torque the lug nuts, rather than just using an air tool to 'zing' them on. It is just too easy to end up with warped rotors due improperly torqued nuts. I once got into quite a 'discussion' with a shoppie about this. Last time I ever bought tires from that particular store.

Also, be sure to remove your center caps *before* going to the tire shop - so they don't add any new scratches/dents on them when trying to figure out how to take them off.

Somehow a myth has been circulating widely that the Max Pressure listed on the tire is the correct inflation pressure at all times.

Maybe a myth. That said, the pressures listed on the tire has increased significantly over the last couple decades.

Guest TheCapnVideo

45 is inexcusable.

Look for the TIA symbol where you get your tires done.

I go to Pete's Tire Barns. The techs are all TIA trained and it shows in their work, from cleaning the rim where the bead seats to flipping mags without being asked. I never worry about them adding a scratch or giving me back a car with improper inflation.

side note, took my car to Wally world for an oil change in the middle of winter when it was snowing every day for a week and I didn't want to get down on the ground. Car rolled in a-ok rolled out with two tires below 25 lbs. went back and screamed at the auto service manager.

If I go to that type of place, which I do from time to time... funny I'll rebuild my lower end or pull the whole engine for fun but will pay for the oil change... i am very specific, DON't vacuum my car, DON't check fluids, DON't aim my headlights, Don't check my tires, DON't top off my coolant, tranny fluid, brake fluid, Don't evaluate my air filter, cabin filter, PCV valve... DON"T DO ANYTHING BUT REPLACE THE OIL AND FILTER.

why do I go there?

It's gotten so I automatically check the tire pressures the following morning after the tires are mounted.

In the past 10 years, I can't recall a time they weren't inflated to 45#

Bone heads.

Also had a Firestone shop tighten the lug nuts on a '66 Riviera so railroad tight I couldn't get them off when I wanted to do a brake job.

Drove the car back to the shop mad as hell and made them loosen and then retourque them by hand.

My diesel pickup is 55 front, 80 rear. The dealer set the rears at 55. When I checked I was a bit ticked...the service advisor, who we have a good relationship with, said most folks find with 80 psi, it rides to much like a truck. My response was that it is a blasted truck, and not a wimpy one at that. When I put a Buick in the enclosed hauler, I am pulling over 9000 lbs. It's listed as medium duty, but is relatively heavy duty in the world of consumer pickups.

Why would anyone buy a diesel pickup, then reduce your load / towing abilities (far and away the primary reason for having a diesel) so that it doesn't "ride like a truck"?

[/vent mode]

Tire inflaters are not calibrated I can see. I do the thumb test myself. At my shop I did my tires and went around to the other bays to check the pressure. The extremes were noticable. From my 35 they ranged from 27 to 40 psi! KILL lead weights also; rots the wheel.

Why would anyone buy a diesel pickup, then reduce your load / towing abilities (far and away the primary reason for having a diesel) so that it doesn't "ride like a truck"?

[/vent mode]

Because so many buy them just to look cool. They don't really have any need for that type of truck.

A 1/2 ton may be more than adequate for them, but it's not "Manly" enough.

Like the truck owners that tip toe over the slightest bump in the road.

:P

ROFL...that's why we've got the big 16" wheels and rubber to go with them.

Admittedly my truck leads a sheltered existence compared to what it could be, but since I do tow 10,000 lbs semi-regularly, I did want a 3/4 ton and the diesel got the best fuel economy of the bunch.

Actually, the only reason for 80 psi in the rear (and I assume they are LR E tires) is when towing heavy. Unloaded, you can back down to 45-50. That is the nice thing about LR E tires.

My Suburban is just a wimpy 1/2 ton. The tires that came on it new were LR C - which should have sufficed. However they are the only set of tires that I have ever owned where the sidewalls gave out before the tread. You could actually see the cords through the cracks! This on a truck that was only 2 or 3 years old at the time. So I have been using LR E tires on it ever since. (I think part of the problem was the lousy OE hydraulic shocks. I replaced them with gas-charged Edelbrocks at about the same time.) For our 'family truckster' usage, 45-50 psi is fine. But when carrying heavy stuff, or towing, again I can fill the rears higher.

Funny thing is that nowadays a lot of these SUVs are coming through with P metric tires. So in some sense, they aren't giving you the flexibility you are paying for when you buy such a vehicle.

In any event, dragging this back to Reattas, I am about to replace the only set of tires I've ever owned that are (cosmetically) in great shape. But 21 year old tires are simply too old - and they are riding like it. Just can't decide whether I want to refinish my original wheels, or go to 16". Thing is, even if I go to 16", I will still have to refinish the originals...

My diesel pickup is 55 front, 80 rear. The dealer set the rears at 55. When I checked I was a bit ticked...the service advisor, who we have a good relationship with, said most folks find with 80 psi, it rides to much like a truck. My response was that it is a blasted truck, and not a wimpy one at that. When I put a Buick in the enclosed hauler, I am pulling over 9000 lbs. It's listed as medium duty, but is relatively heavy duty in the world of consumer pickups.

[/vent mode]

Dagnabbit. I hate it when my truck rides like a truck. :mad: it cramps my cool "tough guy in a big 'ol truck" style. :mad:

I had a new set of Goodyears put on my '91 vert last spring at the local Sears store (best price) and couldn't be happier!

But, I "primed the well" just a tad before allowing any of their techs to touch the car by "educating" them on what they were working on. After they understood the rarity of the machine, and after I promised them they could all drive it around the parking lot, they put their total 100% effort into the installation. ;)

The wheel weights were all installed on the inside......the pressure was spot on, and they were spotlessly cleaned of all fingerprints, etc., before it came off the hoist.

Sometimes a little "shmooze" goes a long way :D

Bob

• 1 month later...
Guest Recian

the tire max is 45 usually. beyond that is dangerous. Even most tire machines say "Do not exceed 40 psi seating beads" seating beads requires the most psi so anything above 40 is unacceptable to me. newer cars 35 is average 37 for low-pros. Older cars like the reatta 30- 32 is acceptable

Because so many buy them just to look cool. They don't really have any need for that type of truck.

A 1/2 ton may be more than adequate for them, but it's not "Manly" enough.

I heard it years ago that some people substitute big trucks or muscle-type vehicles for their lack in manly/masculine genitalia.....:eek:

Guest Scott's Reattas
I heard it years ago that some people substitute big trucks or muscle-type vehicles for their lack in manly/masculine genitalia.....:eek:

That seems to be the case around here. Big diesels bellowing out black smoke through 6 in stacks. Little boys living out their big trucker fantasy.