turning th 24 6 45

Guest tom pre

Guest tom pre

hi folk this engine started some 10 months ago. i dis engaged starter,pulled out plugs, put it neutral,& cannot manualy turn engine at front end with original crank. i would appreciate any ideas you have

Tom, same problem as mine. Condensation in the cylinders have rusted the rings to the bore. Probably one or two cylinders. Just a lead pencil line so it is not extensive, but enough to freeze it up. Took me six months to free up mine and I tried all kinds of stuff. What finally did it? Kroil. Others have use acetone and auto transmission fluid, a 50/50 mix. Keep squirting it in the cylinders and then put pressure on the crank. Or you can put in high gear and pull it with your car. Make sure that it is on soft surface first, like gravel, to see if that minimum force will work. If not you can try pavement. Good luck. John

Tom, forgot, also put the car in gear, get a couple of folks and rock the car back and forth in the garage, make sure you you have oil/penetrating type in all the cylinders. If the rust is not bad, this should break the rust bond. Hope this help, good luck. John

Guest tom pre

hi john. tried 2nd gear with me rocking it, no luck. on monday will try rockin with 3 guy. then ill pull it . question, how much torque to apply without hurting it ?

Tom,

It would be better to remove the lower flywheel housing and turn the engine over

from the flywheel. First try to move it both ways cw and ccw, if it only moves a little

check to see if the waterpump shaft is moving also, if not the front shaft bush

could be the problem. Towing the car is not a good idea, you can cause a lot of

damage. Ask Tom Black about towing!!!

JB

22-6-55 Sport Touring

Guest tom pre

update. today had three guys rocking car. still stuck. we pushed hard enough that the back tires slid across floor.

Guest tom pre

hi mark. good question. in neutral wheels turn freely. im a little hesitant to tow her untill ive done everything else. i can drag her anyplace, but will i do damage ? im soaking pistons & just ordered some kroil. any ideas ?

You want everything to be lubricated... Drop the pan and lube the rods and mains. Also check for stuck push rods & valves. Remove the rocker assy. and tap on each valve. If the spring returns them, they are OK. Leave the rocker assy. off the engine until it turns....

Check to be sure the starter gear is retracted before you rock it or drag it.... And, don't pop the clutch in first gear... Try second & allow some slip so you don't damage the crank.

My 2 cents...

Tom, I would drop the pan and caps AS A LAST RESORT. The caps have shims and they will all drop out when you release the caps. It is then a real effort to to get everything shimmed correctly. Be patient and use Kroil. Just keep trying. It took me almost a winter to get mine broken loose.

These things can be frustrating...my 21 model 44 was tight after a rebuild that occurred 20 years prior(but never run) ...I was not turning over with starter generator real fast and you could feel it labor at a specific point....I towed it and found the problem....the cam gear(fiber) was damaged and towing did it in.

A year later the car seized running down the highway...this time it was the bushing coming out of the engine casing it seized to the pump shaft....no other damage and it runs fine today. I can't imagine that this could be your problem but I would see if the water pump shaft has a bit of movement allowed by the tolerance in the gear meshing.

Your problem is concerning as you ran less than a year ago parked it and it's stuck...I would soak for 1 month then rock the car again...I'd be suspicious that you have gotten water in a cylinder from a head gasket or cracked head I can't imagine that condensation/rust is locking you this hard in this short of a period of time....If you break loose be looking for the potential of a bigger problem.

Anything to note when you ran it 10 months ago???

Good luck

Jack up one rear wheel and then rock the wheel back and forth with the trans in high. Rocking the wheel will send vibrations though the crank in both directions without a lot of brut force which is what you want. Check the stuff previously mentioned first. Dandy Dave!

Guest tom pre

thanks gentlemen for your help. i just got a 1938 buick coupe. you would think with the work i have to do i would stop getting more projects. cant help myself and the wife encouraged me..her fault

• 3 weeks later...

Tom,

If you already have the starter motor out try using a large screwdriver to lever the flywheel around. You can do this by engaging the scredriver blade into the ring gear teeth and pushing down using the hole in the bellhousing for the starter motor as the fulcrum.

The only word of caution is to watch out for your knuckles.

Hi Tom - I am worried that suggestions to tow start a car of this age :confused: Firstly, if it is stuck rings, you will simply crack any that are stuck and then have the joy of pulling it all down for a hone and re-ring Also, not knowing for sure the problem, the risk of damage to crank, bore, pistons, rods, rings, valve gear, gearbox, rear axle (shall I go on!?) is far too great a risk to base on such a decision. It sounds like you are on to this anyway. If you can't turn the engine from rocking it in gear, then you still have issues to resolve.

Secondly - Can I suggest that the water pump / shaft is definitely another place to look as others have stated? If it is a stuck pump, there is no way in hell you could turn the motor over.

Good luck and keep up the krol!