CDO For Sale

CarlLaFong

Sorry, but this is not a real CDO! The add is incorrect, it is a replica!

Gee, ya think??

The ad is a bald faced lie or the seller is a moron. Notice that he states it is not a replica. He seems to have 14 shill bidders trying to create a bogus bidding war

Maybe it's a replica of a replica:D

Bingo! Sorry "stang"...I should have realized your post was tongue in cheek.:o

I wanted to respond to the seller but the last time I did (only trying to help them understand what they had) I got skewered. Obviously my credentials of owning several of these over the years and background with Olds did not suffice!

Several of us have been embroiled over the years in legal issues with misrepresented cars. I can tell you that some of these people are very stubborn and refuse to listen to proof even when it is given.

You gotta admit, it would make a great toboggan.

$(KGrHqEOKn!E1H6w(QmtBNcFYSeT9w~~_3.JPG

I hope he doesn't take passengers in that at 35mph!

AL only issues registrations, no titles, so it would have

to be legitimized elsewhere. Do you think it could be,

made legit? VIN and all? A horrible thought.

A replica of a replica of a model.

A dangerous model!

TG

Edited by TG57Roadmaster (see edit history)

Guest Jim_Edwards

I wanted to respond to the seller but the last time I did (only trying to help them understand what they had) I got skewered. Obviously my credentials of owning several of these over the years and background with Olds did not suffice!

Several of us have been embroiled over the years in legal issues with misrepresented cars. I can tell you that some of these people are very stubborn and refuse to listen to proof even when it is given.

And it's not just with a complete car. In trying to help a guy selling a radio that was misidentified the idiot got argumentative even with having provided him a link to the repair manual for the given radio which clearly identified the model and year along with an image.

Go figure!

Jim

I should get a bigger tongue.:P

That CDO would look nice parked next to the Model T Opera Car and the 1899 Brewster in my private museum. Leno has nothing on me

Notice that he doesn't include a picture of the engine in the car. Hard to sell as an Olds when it probably says "Briggs and Stratton"...........

Of course it's a replica, and if the high bid is real he should be taking the money and running....

The death-trap has reached $6K and change. More than just a menace to society,

it's the kind of junk that sours this hobby and fuels lawsuits.

Let's say this contraption "escapes from Alabama," gets legitimized (i.e., some unwary

DMV actually titles it), and some fool is fool enough to drive it at speed, taking out

bystanders and or his grandkids when the spindly frame collapses.

Lawmakers get wind of it, from the hue and cry of the bereaved, and suddenly every "old car"

is suspect. It's not that much of a stretch of the imagination.

This would be a great example of why AACA Judging is so very important to the future

of our hobby (marque club judging, too). Talk about a poster child for all that is wrong with

a vehicle, vehemently defended as authentic, truth be dammed! From its Home Depot lighting

to its scrap steel springs, it's so wrong I find it hard to believe anyone would buy the seller's BS.

Is it our duty to expose these obvious fakes? No, but when someone gets killed in a

hasty joyride, it's not our duty to mourn their loss, either.

It's an embarassment to hobbyists worldwide.

TG

TG, I agree with you on that! Just by looking at the photos you can tell that it is not authentic. Who are they trying to kid with the outstandingly original "Oldsmobile" logo over what I can guess is the B&S engine.

Perhaps this guy bought it, not knowing and realized he was hoodwinked and now is trying to dump it to the next unsuspecting fool. It is unfortunate that eBay can't ensure that vehicles like these are documented and deemed authentic for the sake of the hobby. Perhaps if eBay was liable in the event of the "hasty joyride" scenario, it would make them and the sellers a little more cautious in their quest for the sale.

Edited by 1957buickjim
spelling correction (see edit history)

Well super sleuths..the listing has mysteriously been removed from eBay. Hmmm..perhaps someone caught wind of the motorized toboggan model of a replica of a drawing of an old car. :)

Dang, and I was just getting the Automotive Hall of Fame spun up to put a bid on that CDO like object.

Maybe the pillow soft ride of the Hupp will calm them, possibly making them sleep like babies. :D

Sometimes I wonder what goes on in people's heads. Along with one of our senior members of our board of directors received an inquiry the other day about the value for a certain Crosley wagon. We both asked for pictures in order to try to give the person an estimate. On looking at the pictures, we both told the person it did NOT have a Crosley engine and possibly did not have Crosley running gear and was possibly simply a Crosley body set on another frame. We both asked for more pictures to help the person identify more about the car. (by the way, don't these people realize we, within the hobby, communicate with each other??). THE FOLLOWING DAY... The car appears on Craigslist with no mention of non original features etc. Next week I'll get an e-mail asking which "optional" Crosley engine this is in this car!!

I am one of those guys who contacts guys on ebay and tells them the real story about their parts/vehicle. If they list it incorrectly, I try to correct them so that the next guy looking for a part does not buy the wrong part simply because they don't know what the real part is supposed to look like and the seller listed it wrong. Sometimes I get a big THANK YOU. Other times I get a snide email back trying to justify why they listed the parts/vehicle incorrectly. The best way to go is to research before buying. I pity the fool who buys a car like the fake CDO without researching first.

Keiser31, I too am one of the "original parts police force", letting them know that they have it listed wrong, maybe model, year, etc. 90% of the time, they appreciate the info, because it helps them get to the buyers they want to, and it keeps wrong parts off the the search for those who are looking for specific year parts.. I am with you on the CDO-like object. Hope the car was yanked because it was a fraudulent item.