I hate winter

Guest sintid58

Right Mind? Up for debate.

Have been working outside for going on 37 years and it does NOT get any easier for sure. Working harder for less pay but........... other than pulling stakes and going south life goes on. (brrrrr) High tomorrow predicted at 10 above.

Safe travels out there.

ps. Work is cleaning windows.

-19 last night -12 tonight. Who in their right mind lives in this kind of climate.

I've often wondered that myself but there is something that makes people put down roots no matter what. I know people who live in Canada and what they have to deal with is way worse than here in PA. We went snowmobiling up there one year and it was 30 below zero when we woke up. After I got over seeing the mercury that low, I assumed the ride would be off since it was so cold but imagine my surprise when our friends didn't even bat and eye and said heck yea we are still going. Then as we were eating breakfast I heard pounding outside and looked out to see people nailing sheeting on a new house roof next door. Had I not seen it with my own eyes I wouldn't have believed it.

Going far enough south to escape freezing temps means you have to deal with cooking-hot temps in the summer and thats no fun either. I know there are some locations that are exceptions but for the most part thats the way it is.

I think the people we call "snowbirds" who move south in the winter then back north in the summer have the best of both worlds. We think we might like to do that when we retire.

I was talking to a friend in North Dakota and conversation got around to my complaining about how cold it was here in Eastern Pa. When I said it was 14 degrees, she called me a sissy and said it was -25 where she was and that wasn't really that cold. You folks grow them hardy out there!!!

Look at the bright side. A nice warm wood fire. Slippers warmed by a fire. Hot chocolate. Cool scotch. A nice warm bed in a cold room. Your dog snuggled up on the couch next to you. no bugs. no grass to mow. Personally any day I'm still upright and warm is a good day no matter what the weather is outside................Bob

It's all relative and what you're used to. Why do people live where there are floods and tornados? I haven't liked winter since I was a teenager. Now that I'm close to retirement - hopefully - and have inherited my uncle's place in Florida, I can't wait to be a snow bird. I don't want to spend my retirement moving snow around. Not only that, with heating oil getting more and more expensive, it'll be a lot cheaper going back and forth to Florida than heating a house all winter.

Jason - you just need to dress for it. Ice fishing is another pastime that is sometimes combined with snowmobiling...with the portable shelters and propane heaters available nowadays, you can remain quite comfortable.

Crosley Dave - yup...prairie folk are a hardy bunch. My wife is from coastal regions but has been on the prairies now for about 20 years...still doesn't have the same hardiness as a born and bred prairie gal.

I can't complain...we're getting a south wind, so the next several days are supposed to get close to freezing. That will be nice. Actually, this time of year is fantastic...days are getting longer and warmer and there is so much to look forward to.

Guest sintid58

We got home last Friday after nearly 3 weeks on the road and the first thing I had to do was to blow the snow out of the driveway. Then it snowed and I cleaned it 2 more times, then it got really cold. Usually my daughters clean the drive when we are gone but they were having trouble with the snow blower so they did just enough to get their cars in and out and left the rest for me. We left home again Wednesday night and delivered this morning in Mira Loma Ca, sunshine and 70 degrees we are now in Yuma Az loading produce. When we came through Palm Springs the temp showed 80 now it has dropped to around 74 here. I told dispatch just keep us south and busy driving between LA and Georgia or Florida until about mid May but thats not what they do. We will be back in South Dakota Sunday and back to LA again by Tuesday. The weather is supposed to be good through the middle of next week so thats a good sign. I have been trying to talk the wife into moving into a townhouse or condo with a good HOA that takes care of the outside work but she says that is for old people. I think that would be ideal for us when we are driving all the time and then we can look for a lot in a small town close by to put up a nice garage for the cars. Thats my idea of getting away from the snow for now.

Edited by sintid58 (see edit history)