Not old, but a future collectible?

keiser31

Guest Jim_Edwards

With the passage of time and changing interest, many of the cars we think horrible and of no possible future collectible interest will become collectible in the minds of many, though I personally cringe at the idea of today's Chevy Malibu, Ford Taurus, or God forbid a Toyota Prius ever being considered collectible.

Guest my3buicks

Dealer installed "graphic" packages typically do not demand a premium on past collectibles, although we can't say the same for Dealer packages such as Yenko, Royal Bobcat, etc. These Camaro's appear to be little more than decals added by the dealer.

Dealer installed "graphic" packages typically do not demand a premium on past collectibles, although we can't say the same for Dealer packages such as Yenko, Royal Bobcat, etc. These Camaro's appear to be little more than decals added by the dealer.

Factory documentation hopefully will still be the order of the day twenty-five years from now. :D

There's a difference. Indy Pace Car replicas always command some interest over and above the car they were based on. These are strictly regional editions, and if I had to guess were made by having a local sign company make up some vinyl decals or possibly getting them from the University itself.

Here, we had Oldsmobile Cutlass GTs, Ford Granada and Mustang "Henry County Coupes" and others that people not from here wouldn't have a clue about what they were. The only ones from here I can think of off the bat that would appeal beyond regional are the Chevrolet Dale Earnhardt Editions. God knows half the Monte Carlos and pickups around here had Dale Earnhardt Chevrolet dealer badges stuck on them, no matter where they were sold.

..... The only ones from here I can think of off the bat that would appeal beyond regional are the Chevrolet Dale Earnhardt Editions. God knows half the Monte Carlos and pickups around here had Dale Earnhardt Chevrolet dealer badges stuck on them, no matter where they were sold.

And according to the rules it would be a one point (leaving a good condition one on the vehicle as it was ruled they are not a factory option) to two point (if it is in bad shape) deduction to leave it stuck to the vehicle.

And according to the rules it would be a one point (leaving a good condition one on the vehicle as it was ruled they are not a factory option) to two point (if it is in bad shape) deduction to leave it stuck to the vehicle.

While I agree that dealer-installed stickers will certainly NOT increase the value of a car, does the deduction for non-factory decals apply to, say, Yenko Camaro stickers, or Hurst/Olds stickers? These were not factory-installed either. Where does one draw the line on that slippery slope?

While I agree that dealer-installed stickers will certainly NOT increase the value of a car, does the deduction for non-factory decals apply to, say, Yenko Camaro stickers, or Hurst/Olds stickers? These were not factory-installed either. Where does one draw the line on that slippery slope?

Stickers/decals/dealer nameplates that are not factory authorized/accessories are to be deducted for. The suggested deduction if they are in good shape is one point. From there it goes up as to how bad of shape they are in to something like a maximum of three points each. So deductions could add up fast on a vehicle with lots of them. :eek:

Guest billybird

I believe for the most part, the only "recent" vehicles that will become collectibles in the future are those that already are. In other words, limited production, unique style, etc. A few of my examples would be: Plymoth Prowler--- Shelby, Cobra, and Saleen Mustangs-----ZR-1 Vettes----Dodge Viper, things like that.

I hope I'm around 25 years from now to argue the point ---

Still walking Hershey at age 93

at an average of 6 years each, I'll be on my 9th pacemaker

Susan- you had better be ready to defend your scoring if you judge something like a Hurst/Olds, Yenko, Baldwin/Motion or other post-manufacturer converted car that was done with full factory blessing, because you will not find their stripes or scoops in any factory parts book.

In the case of Hurst/Olds, some cars had things other cars did not, and there is no rhyme or reason to which cars got them. Indy wings on the back glass are an example, as are Rocket decals on the trunk striping- some cars have them, some do not. And that's just on the 74s. Mine came with both. The next one in the conversion sequence has neither.

Same thing with regional editions- the "marketing group" cars. Most of their badging was never sourced from the factory, but the basic packages were. A marque club judge has to be very aware and very careful when point judging a car like that.

Guest Silverghost

What about State inspection & emission stickers on the winshield glass & WW II era gas rationing stickers ?

And how about AACA window stickers and Sr & Jr + National award badges ?

Car show Dash plaques ?

All Non-factory also ; )

I know I am nit-picking~

But these all were not factory stickers !

Where does one reasonably draw the line here ?

Edited by Silverghost (see edit history)

Anyone think that these will become "more" collectible in the future because of the special decals? Stranger things have happened.

Yes, if you still can get fuel for it.

Don

Susan- you had better be ready to defend your scoring if you judge something like a Hurst/Olds, Yenko, Baldwin/Motion or other post-manufacturer converted car that was done with full factory blessing, because you will not find their stripes or scoops in any factory parts book.

In the case of Hurst/Olds, some cars had things other cars did not, and there is no rhyme or reason to which cars got them. Indy wings on the back glass are an example, as are Rocket decals on the trunk striping- some cars have them, some do not. And that's just on the 74s. Mine came with both. The next one in the conversion sequence has neither.

Same thing with regional editions- the "marketing group" cars. Most of their badging was never sourced from the factory, but the basic packages were. A marque club judge has to be very aware and very careful when point judging a car like that.

As has been said many times before, documentation is the key. As you stated above things were "done with full factory blessing". There must be a record of that somewhere to prove that. Owners need to have that to show to judging teams when they show the vehicle. The burden of proof is on the owner not the judging team. We are told that time and again in judging schools and CJE classes.

And I understand that a marque judge has to be aware of those things. But we don't judge to marque standards. We judge according to the guidelines of the AACA.

What about State inspection & emission stickers on the winshield glass & WW II era gas rationing stickers ?

And how about AACA window stickers and Sr & Jr + National award badges ?

Car show Dash plaques ?

All Non-factory also ; )

I know I am nit-picking~

But these all were not factory stickers !

Where does one reasonably draw the line here ?

Here are the rules about those items. This can be found on page 18 and 19 of the 2010 Judging Guidelines.

4. BADGE DISPLAY

a. Badges and license plate frames with club names other than AACA will NOT be subject to a deduction for authenticity, if they are appropriate

to the vehicle and displayed in good taste. They will be judged for condition.

b. Excessive display of club badges will result in a total deduction of not more than two points.

c. Non-authentic license plate frames and advertising badges are not acceptable, regardless of the number or manner in which they are displayed.