Odd Aftermarket Items ?

Guest Silverghost

Guest Silverghost

What was the most unusual aftermarket add-on item you ever installed or saw over the years ?

In about 1957 my Father added a unique Montgomery Ward aftermarket winter item.

It was a twin sand winter snow traction system which consisted of a pair of hoppers that were placed in the rear car trunk wheel well area.

Each hopper heald about 15 lbs of sand.

Holes were drilled to the top of the rear tire area.

An electric solonoid & switch placed under the dash .

Hit the switch and a shot of sand dumped on the tires for winter traction.

It took Dad an entire day to install this contraption in his 1953 DeSoto Powermaster !

Funny but it really worked well !

School buses & train locomotives use a similar system still to this day !

Ever see one of these ?

One of my installs was a Motorola reverb unit with a box with electronic box & springs inside !

Worked well~

BUT...

Not good on rough bumpy roads~

The unit was removed and now is sitting on my basement shelves !

Edited by Silverghost (see edit history)

How about an exhaust pipe vacuum cleaner? This was a venturi device that went on the tailpipe. The exhaust created a suction effect on a long hose which was used to vacuum the interior of the car. All the crap flew out the tail pipe behind the car I guess.

I have seen ads for these from the fifties. It sticks in my mind that they were a VW accessory but probably were available for other cars.

Guest Silverghost

How about the exhaust car jack that consisted of a nylon bag and hose that was connected to the tailpipe .

You ran the engine to inflate the bag & lift the car for a tire change,

I wonder how many people were crushed & killed using this devise ?

How about "Car Lashes" I'm putting a set on my wifes Jeepster tonight.

Is this an S&M thing?

When they were fooling around with Bill Blass Lincolns and similar signature models why didn't they bring out a Mercury Marquis de Sade with black leather upholstery, chrome tire chains and a whip antenna?

A bug screen specifically designed to fit the front of a 1960 Buick, complete with custom-fitted/rubber coated bars that pushed against the grille bars and bumper as springs w/ clips held tension against the hood and bumper bottom. I don't know if it was a J.C.Whitney item or not, but I bought it on eBay from someone who had a whole series of these things for different cars.

• 2 weeks later...

What ever happened to those rubber strap thingies that hung under the car to eliminate static charge. I don't think I've seen one in over 40 years. Ditto curb feelers, except the lowriders who will put several pairs on all 4 wheel openings. Baby on board signs and all of the many variants. Plush Garfields with suction cups on his feet.

The absolute worst...........those stupid scrotums that people hang from their rear bumper. If I'm gonna display genitalia on my vehicle, it's gonna be an "innie";)