My next project? 1921 Packard Coupe.

Hi Roger

After discussing this with the glass supplier I decided to go with his recommendation which was laminated.

Meanwhile I have been playing with little pieces of paper cut outs. This is the proposed top (hood) silhouette using just two bows. The actual fabric will be a fawn salt & pepper cloth, you need to go back quite some way to where I was discussing the proposed colour scheme to see the actual material. What you see here is the inside of the envelope that brought the latest issue of the Antique Automobile magazine, nothing is wasted. For those either reluctant to or unable to go back through the 50 odd pages I have attached an upclose scan of some "Salt & Pepper" cloth. Those knowledgable about these things will tell you that the warp is a black and a white thread twisted together while the weft is a single fawn (tan) colour thread.

Bj.

post-51681-143139121848_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143139119744_thumb.jpg

Edited by oldcar (see edit history)

Having collected the last batch of plating I have been able to complete the assembly of the headlamps and to trial assemble the windscreen frame (no glass just yet. but before the glass went in I wanted to be sure that it all still went together OK.

Bj.post-51681-143139121764_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143139121504_thumb.jpg

Having collected the last batch of plating I have been able to complete the assembly of the headlamps and to trial assemble the windscreen frame (no glass just yet. but before the glass went in I wanted to be sure that it all still went together OK.

Bj.[ATTACH=CONFIG]148570[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]148571[/ATTACH]

Hey B how good does she look front on WELL DONE! Can I put my two bob's worth in on your hood profile. I personally feel the front bow needs to be higher and the back bow repositioned so the back is near straight. I just think forward sloping rear hood profiles do not look right on pre 1930 cars. But its your car and you only have to please one person.

Cheers from Col in Brisbane.

Hi Col

I tend to agree with you with four seat touring bodies but with this particular body which is basically a two seater I think that the slight slope on the rear of the hood works. At present what you are seeing is only a mock up literally cut and pasted. Work on the actual top (hood) is not scheduled to start until late October. One thing I do have to consider is what the next owner may prefer. As with all my project cars the Packard will be offered for sale once it is completed. That way I can move on to my next project. I am by nature a compulsive rescuer of basket cases and lost causes.

Bj.

Hi Bernie,

I have just found this thread and spent two days reading it. Your workmanship and attitude are a credit to you and an inspiration to others. Add another follower to the list.

I agree with your view that these cars must be driven, I not long ago completed a 3000km trip through the outback in my 1929 Pontiac.

And just for interest sake, there is a car collector and restorer in my town with the Vic number plate "OLDCAR".

Regards

Heath

Edited by aussiecowboy (see edit history)

Hello Heath

Glad to have another (Victorian) Aussie coming along for the ride. I have no special claim to "oldcar" It was a name chosen by an English friend Anthony Bryant when he first introduced me to the AACA Forum. I first met Anthony through Michael Worthington Williams, who runs the Finds & Discovery pages in the (UK) Automobile magazine, when I assisted him with some 1928 Plymouth spares. Just another example of how small the vintage car enthusiasts world really is if you are prepared to extend your boundaries.

Bj.

Anyone interested in seeing something of the Australian outback should visit our son Paul's website. UrbanBirder.com.au

Paul and his partner Nicole are keen bird watchers and bird song recorders who travel the country in search of rare and unusual Australian Native birds.

Even if you are not particularly interested in birds of the feathered variety it is worth a visit but don't expect to see it all in a few minutes. When listening to the recordings turn your sound right up!

While I am still waiting on the windscreen glass I have now got the carpet and can start cutting it to size and binding the edges. This afternoon I took sufficient carpet over to Tony for the outer seat backs and seat bases as the seats have now moved up in his queue of jobs. The colour of the carpet? Why, dark chocolate brown of course.

Bj.

What to do first??? I have just started to plan cutting the carpet and today completely out of the blue the windscreen glass is ready to be picked up.

Meanwhile I have discovered that there is sufficient of the brown linoleum left over from the front floor and running boards to cover the rear parcel shelf/seat for garden gnomes so there is another task that has just joined the waiting list..

Bj.

post-51681-143139136729_thumb.jpgAt last, after two or three days of procrastination I finally plucked up enough courage to fit the glass into the windscreen frame. Of course it went in without any of the problems that I could foresee. I have now moved on to the rear parcel shelf area. I have decided to incorporate a felt lined storage locker for the side screens across the back.

Bj.

Slow progress is better than no progress. I have finally sorted out the trim panels in either rear corner and a lid for the side screen storage locker. The interior of the locker is trimmed in beige felt. The luggage shelf/garden gnome seat is covered with the same brown linoleum as the front floor and running boards and now has protective domed aluminium strips in place. I still have to cut the piano hinge to size and attach it to both the lid and floor. Next step is to fit a couple of spring latches and a pull handle to the lid. My aim is to have the basics for the trim finished by the time Tony returns from his holiday in Germany.

Bj.

post-51681-143139142935_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143139142924_thumb.jpg

Hi Bernie,

Looks great and love following the progress.

Dave is underway with mine now almost ready to do a base coat. He's finally got some business cards after I nagged him to death about them !

You mentioned Tony is away on holidays. Do you know when he gets back ?

Keep up the posts.....I enjoy every one.

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ben

It is a play on words. Chocolate=bite. Apart from the main floor area there are several smaller pieces. One of my "things" is to have a strip of carpet about four to six inches high at the bottom of the door trims, outside backs on the front seats, etc.

Bj.

Hello again

Ben just in case you are still confused about those bite sized pieces of carpet here are a photograph. I am sorry but carpet is not one of the more exciting subjects for photography.

Please do not become alarmed flash light photography does do some dreadful things to colours in photographs.

Bj.

post-51681-143139148771_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143139148782_thumb.jpg

Amazing! I have just looked back at my diary and it is just two years and five days since the Packard was first delivered to our home.

Bj.

Flashlight photography!! Had to laugh at that one!

Two years. Seems like just the other day. My, how time flies when one is enjoying ones self.

Keep up the good work.

Ben

Hi Ben

Glad that you manage to appreciate some of my humour. Too many people tend to take life too seriously. I have just had two of my grand children here for the day. It is so good seeing my youngest grand son (3 1/2) getting excited about my funny old motor cars. Perhaps it is time you discovered the delights of an early 1920s car

Bj.

It has probably escaped the notice of those in the northern hemisphere that to-day is officially the last day of winter. This being so please excuse the lack of the sunshine needed to make these the perfect photographs. This is simply a progress report at the end of the second year of my ownership of the Packard. The mechanical work is virtually complete as is the body. Trim is progressing slowly although I hope to have the seats ready to install in two or three weeks time. The Top (hood in Aussie-speak) will not be done until my trimmer returns from holiday in late November. I still have to make the side screen frames. There are a few small detail jobs to be completed such as soldering the ends onto the main battery leads and installing globes in all the lights. I still have to find a suitable (matching) right hand tail lamp. I am sticking to my policy of not attempting to start the engine until I can sit in and drive the car.

Bj.

post-51681-14313915275_thumb.jpg

post-51681-143139152733_thumb.jpg

Bernie - Man, I admire your determination and resolve to do everything in its proper order and time. With the car looking this good and spring around the corner I don't know if I could resist the temptation to get her going, even if I had to sit on a butter box. It has been a wonderful transformation and we're all looking forward to seeing her move out for the first time. You're teaching us patience too, a virtue we could probably use more of. Congratulations!

Best,

Jim

Looking good, Bernie. Looking good. The first drive will be just as exciting up here as down there.

Last day of winter!! We are, of course, beginning to plan for winter. Not really looking forward to it. But life goes on.

Ben

Ben,

Do you actually have winter in South west Missouri?

On the subject of Winter; here in Melbourne in the south east corner of Australia it sometimes gets down as low as +5 or 6 C overnight. But then some days it does get up to around 35 C in Summer.

Can't think why anyone would want to live anywhere but in "the Worlds most liveable city". Great climate, delightful parks, wonderful restaurants, friendly people I could go on but I am sure that you get the picture.

Now, back to work you people!

Bj.

On the subject of Winter; here in Melbourne in the south east corner of Australia it sometimes gets down as low as +5 or 6 C overnight. But then some days it does get up to around 35 C in Summer.

Can't think why anyone would want to live anywhere but in "the Worlds most liveable city". Great climate, delightful parks, wonderful restaurants, friendly people I could go on but I am sure that you get the picture.

Now, back to work you people!

Bj.

That is because our immigrant ancestor, the one who left France in 1658 to go somewhere else , got on a ship with a drunken captain who ended up here instead. LOL.

On another forum I have asked a question. I will ask the same here. Every "period" photograph I have seen, showing the front of a 1922-3 Single Six show the radiator unadorned, yet almost every "restored" car of the same years has a Packard script on the radiator. There is no evidence that my car ever had one and I do not intend to fit one. Which is correct?

Bj.

Bernie, don't carve this in granite, but as best as I can remember, the cars kept here didn't have the nameplate, but for whatever reason, the cars shipped overseas had a nameplate...another bright idea from Packard...B

Bernie, I agree with Restorer32. The period photos that I have showing RHD local cars show the nameplate and the size of the nameplate varies suggesting the local dealers fitted a nameplate of their choice. My Single Six has a large nameplate that was on the original car prior to restoration. Also I have a period front view of another loacl Single Six with the same large nameplate. Other local photos show the smaller nameplate. Based on this your LHD car is correct without the nameplate and, incidentally it is looking great.

Must be time to start thinking about the next project! David

Thank you both 'B' and David McC.

First thing is to get the Packard finished and running. This came a tiny step closer today. I spent half an hour soldering the ends on the battery cables and fitting the ones from the battery to the starter switch and from the switch to the starter motor. David, if you could let me have a tracing of your larger name plate it could come in handy when I finally get around to doing the spare wheel cover but first I have to find a spare 600 x 23 inch tyre. I have been offered a usable 500 x 23 but all the other tyres are 600. Eventually I may have to replace these. What is the correct size on 23 inch disc wheels?

Bj.