The meaning of "Mint"

danhar1960

from the auction

Outstanding original condition grille emblem for a Buick. Presents exceptionally well for a used item; I'll give it a solid 8.5 out of 10 on condition. Chrome is excellent with no obvious flaws or scratches and an excellent shine. Original paint is obviously worn off. One of the mounting studs is clean and straight; half of the second stud is broken.

Looks 1.5 out of 10 to me. Been attacked with a wire brush at some time ?

Has $16 on the back but buy now is $50g

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)

Mint? To me, mint condition means it is right out of the box, or came off of a car that was in unbelievably perfect condition.

That guy probably confused the word "mint" with the word "junk". Easy to do, if your motivation is money, I guess.

(actually, if you had nothing better, you could save it - TIG weld a stud on the back, and spend a few enjoyable hours with a fine paint brush and some enamel paints.)

Jeff

Well, it goes without saying that he meant to say something other than mint, unless he had a package of mints to go with it, there's no mint here.

Love that he didn't even take the time to remove price from back of it. His price? Or did he pay that? How many times, picked up a piece at Hershey, how much, oh, vendor says, eleventy-seven dollars, and you turn it over and it has a 1 or 2 dollars marked on it in magic marker.

Funny stuff.

Hmmmm. It seems that "mint" means the same here as it does there which is what I thought.

Given the many name differences with car part names (bonnet-hood, boot-trunk) I thought I'd check.

Thanks for the confirmation guys.

Danny

Guest Grant Magrath

"mint" in New Zealand can mean an exclamation of joy. For example.....

Larry Schramm "I've just been given a 1939 Series 68 with sunroof with 12 miles on the clock by the executor of Howard Hughes' will."

Grant Magrath "Oh, mint!"

Cheers

Grant

Guest ZondaC12

Oh man here's where the kid gets yelled at by the old guys for well, being a damn kid. :o Haha.

My car buddies and I have bastardized this to the point that we'll even utter statements like "I love how 4 year olds can just run around a house fall over face first on a wood floor and they're mint. Just get back up like nothing happened and keep running around"

Oh man here's where the kid gets yelled at by the old guys for well, being a damn kid. :o Haha.

My car buddies and I have bastardized this to the point that we'll even utter statements like "I love how 4 year olds can just run around a house fall over face first on a wood floor and they're mint. Just get back up like nothing happened and keep running around"

OK Paul, young engineer in the learning, Do little 4 year old people hurt less because they do not have the weight and height to combine with the inertia in a fall??? Or is it because they are young and have faster reflexes to break the the fall??? Or maybe both??? Dandy Dave!

OK Paul, young engineer in the learning, Do little 4 year old people hurt less because they do not have the weight and height to combine with the inertia in a fall??? Or is it because they are young and have faster reflexes to break the the fall??? Or maybe both??? Dandy Dave!

It's because they are still made of rubber at that point and bounce. They grow out of it. Ever notice that if nobody is watching they're fine, but if the parents see the incident, they're screaming bloody murder?

As for the origin of this thread, the item is broken - that in itself invalidates the use of the word mint.

Guest Grant Magrath
Grant,

Where did I say

Larry Schramm "I've just been given a 1939 Series 68 with sunroof with 12 miles on the clock by the

Hi Larry.

You didn't. I was just using an imaginary conversation as an example of the use of the word "mint" in it's younger Kiwi form. Sorry to cause any confusion.

Cheers

Grant:)

Guest ZondaC12

Hmmmmmmm if my calculations are correct, a little bit of both!!! :P Haha. Couldn't tell ya all I know is I can't do that!