1000Th post

Guest DaveCorbin

Guest DaveCorbin

To all my Buick friends:

I just happened to notice that this will be my 1000th post here on the Forum.

I hope you have found them informative and helpful. I've tried hard to be as factual as possible. It is a pleasure to talk to all of you here in "Forumland".

I have noticed that West Peterson and Peter Garriepy are up at around 8000, so I hope my few have been useful.

Regards, Dave Corbin

PS: What would you expect from the "Number Nut"?

Dave,

Thank you for the many responses.

You have provided quality information to a great many of us, and I do appreciate your effort.

I grew up in the shadow of the Linden, New Jersey Assembly Plant, and was fortunate enough to have had access. My late father was a Firefighter and Driver for the Chief in his early days on the Linden Fire Department back in the 1940s and 1950s. A friend and Linden High School classmate whose father was also a Linden Fire Captain recently told me that her mother was the Linden Assembly Plant Nurse.

In the late 1960s, while working for IBM full time in New York City, I came home evenings and drove new cars from the Gate (end of the assembly line) to the receiving areas to be loaded onto Anchor Motor Freight trucks for delivery to dealers. I did this until I moved to New Orleans in March of 1969.

post-54863-143138179331_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143138179333_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143138179335_thumb.jpg

post-54863-14313817934_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143138179343_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143138179345_thumb.jpg

Edited by Marty Roth
typo (see edit history)

Guest DaveCorbin

To all my Buick friends:

Thanks for the very kind words. I'm looking forward to the next 1000, as I'm sure there will be some real "head-scratchers" in there.

Also, thanks to all the folks who have sent me frame numbers, engine numbers, and have allowed me to crawl over, under and around some really great Buicks. That unrestored 1906 at Hershey last year, the unrestored 1909 the year before at Hershey and the 1933 90 series Bronkhorst bodied car at Colorado Springs this year are good examples, as I try to let the cars tell me how Buick and McLaughlin did things. All I have to do is figure out what the cars are trying to tell me.

I want to add the archivist at Queens University, Kingston ,Ontario, Heather Home,who let me copy for 3 days in George William McLaughlin's archives. It was a real jaw-dropper to find the actual original of the license issued by the mayor of Detroit to "Buick No. 1" in 1904.

A special thanks also to Terry Dunham who furnished a huge amount of material for me to process and study. I want to mention Bev Kimes, a Society of Automotive Historians member and a friend who has passed away. Her "Standard Encyclopedia of American Cars" sets a very high bar for great scholarship and her encouragement and example meant a great deal to me during the time I was compiling all the frame and engine number material.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Dave,

I would add my congratulations as well.

This forum is the best I am involved in because of people like you. A question is asked or a request made and in almost every instance someone is prepared to respond, offer assistance or impart information, unlike some forums where the the " silence is deafening " .

Keep up the good work, we all enjoy reading the results of your numbers research.