1930 - 31 DODGE 8 CYLINDER - PRODUCTION

Willys77

I have Crestline big book on Dodge.

30 DC 8

Roadster 598 made

Conv coupe 726

Phaeton 234

Business coupe 123

The wording on sedan production is not clear. Shows 20,315 but talks about wire wheeled cars in the same paragraph.

1931 DG

4dr sedan 8,957

rumble seat coupe 2,181

victoria styled 5 pass coupe 500

phaeton 43

I don't see any other production numbers for the other body styles in 30 and 31. Also they made chassis for custom bodies.

You won't see too many for sale IMO

After purchasing my '31 DG8 RS Coupe (complete basket case) I've not found all that many out there but they do exist. I've included one other picture (other than my signature photo) showing my initial efforts to identify what all was present, putting on the fenders, radiator shell, etc... I was disappointed in the seller not responding to some missing engine parts, etc., they had moved out of state shortly after the sale. I'm still looking for running boards and a few minor items before restoration begins... Scott

post-59683-143138177335_thumb.jpg

Guest Robert McNeil

Hi guys I have a 1930 DC-8 Sedan nearly complete, in restorable condition. It was made in late 1930 as a deluxe, with sidemount spares, luggage rack, and extra chrome. It has a 114 in wheelbase, with 18 inch wire wheels, 8 cylinder engine, excellent radiator, rechromed shell, nice hood, headlights. They made 20,315 sedans that year, probably less than 100 left. My car is for sale. For details price and pix, bbhmcneil@msn.com. Colorado

post-64951-14313817745_thumb.jpg

post-64951-143138177454_thumb.jpg

I really like your Coupe Scott, Looks nearly complete, and the *cyl. cant be beat.

Thanks, I like it a lot and it will always be a keeper as long as my back never hits the wall. And yes, all the main parts are present and accounted for. As I noted I do have the origina engine but it is missing some key parts. The engine in it right now is a replacememt DG8 and I was told that it ran before it was pulled, I will check to see if it will run some time later this year. I am also thinking that I will swap the missing parts over to the original sometime down the road. Scott

• 1 month later...

Nice coupe Scott. I have two DCs myself, both 4 drs. One of mine is a 1930 and the other is 1931. There must have been some DCs built in early 1931 and I would like to get an idea of how many were produced for the DC line in 1931 and when were they discontinued. Good luck with your coupe, it's a saver for sure.

Bob

Nice coupe Scott. I have two DCs myself, both 4 drs. One of mine is a 1930 and the other is 1931. There must have been some DCs built in early 1931 and I would like to get an idea of how many were produced for the DC line in 1931 and when were they discontinued. Good luck with your coupe, it's a saver for sure.

Bob

Thanks for the comment on my car, I do like it a lot even in its current shape. I hope to get into it this summer in some fashion. As I mentioned I am sorting out what I know that I have and can use and what it is that I still need.

As far as the '31 Dodges go I'm no expert on them, I too continue to learn. I did write Chrysler Heritage asking questions on my car and they say that they couldn't provide specific answers on the '31 year as they were missing records, at least for my car. They did send me a copy of an article that was written back in 1964 and in the back it lists the starting serial number by month for all the cars/models that spans Nov. 1914 through Jan. 1932. It shows that they built the DC's through out the '31 model year which ended at the end of June of 1931. But even trying to follow along with the serial numbers you can't do the math to compute the total cars as there are gaps in the numbers used and no ending serial number.

I did use the serial number information just mentioned, along with some assumptions as to the number days worked each week, to identify my DG was built for sure in April but specifically may have been April 9th of 1931. No facts though, just my best guess.

Have you posted pictures of your car(s) here? I would be interested in seeing them if you haven't and I'm sure others would too... Every picture tells a story the saying goes...

Scott

I've been asked by a couple people for the serail information that I used to identify the build month/day of my car. So, what I've done is to scan and created two JPEG files; the first file is from the Dodge Brothers First 50 Years 1914 – 1964 and was written back in 1964; this is the serial numbers by month listing that I used to isolate the month/day my car was built. The second file is the serial numbers found on the first page of the 1934 Dodge Master Parts Book that I have. The Dodge Brothers file specifically was slightly distorted when I reduced to a reasonable file size to upload, if you save and zoom in on the file to around150% it should be easily readable. Hope that these files can be of use to you all…

Scott

post-59683-14313819282_thumb.jpg

post-59683-143138192824_thumb.jpg

Production details from Andrei Bogmolov, autogallery.org.ru are...

1931 DC

Roadster 598

5 pass.phaeton 234

Business Coupe 123

2/4 Pass Coupe 2999

2/4 Pass. Convert.Coupe 1195

4 Door sedan 20315

Chassis 253

1931 DG

Roadster 64

5 Pass Phaeton 43

2 Pass Business Coupe 119

2/4 Pass Coupe 2181

5 Pass Convert. Coupe 500

4 Door Sedan 8937

Chassis 20

1931/1932 DK

2/4 Pass Coupe 821

5 Pass Coupe 651

2/4 Pass Convert. coupe 126

4 Door Sedan 4422

5 Pass. Convert. Sedan 88

2 Pass Business Coupe 57

Chassis 22

This is a very interesting site and includes details on almost all cars with a lot of detail and photos. Andrei also supplies his sources.

As my DC has an Australian Built T.J.Richards body it would probably be included in the chassis count for 1930.

Jim Haydon

1930 Dodge Bros. DC Roadster. Richards Body

1961 Morris Mini

1977 Land Rover ex Military 6 cyl

The site address is Oldtimers picture gallery. Indexpage.

The site opens in Russian but there is a link to English.

The site opens with an anti American statement about the Iraq conflict and a picture of George Bush and swastikas. Apart from that the site is all information and a real goldmine I think.

Jim Haydon

1930 Dodge Roadster, DC 8 with Richards body.

1961 Morris Mini

1977 Land Rover Ex Military 6 Cylinder.

Guest Bill-W

The numbers quoted on Andrei Bogmolov's site were taken from Jerry Heasley's "The Production Figure Book For U.S. Cars". In turn, Mr. Heasley obtained his figures for 1930-1955 Plymouth, Dodge, and DeSoto cars from Don Butler.

The Canadian plant did assemble touring cars and roadster until the very early 1930's and also convertible coupes to about 1936. From 1931 through 1936 the Canadian government modified their auto import duties to take into consideration the amount of Canadian labour and parts used to assemble cars. Thus Chrysler could import convertible coupe body parts, paint it, trim it, drop it onto a Canadian-assembled chassis. The Canadian costs of assembly, paint, trim and all Canadian parts could then be deducted from the duties on the imported bodies and powertrain (engine, transmission, axle).

In 1935 the Conservative government of R.B.Bennett was defeated and the Liberals under W.L.M.King formed the government. They implemented a fixed duty on imported parts that would survive until 1963. Needless to say, Chrysler switched to importing a fair number of models - 8-cylinder Chryslers, convertibles, wagons, and other low production models - starting with the 1937 models. And that was also why Chrysler of Canada opened an engine plant in 1938 and stopped importing 6-cylinder engines.

The system adopted in 1963, by the way, permitted the deduction of the value of exported cars from the value of imported parts. That change paved the way for Studebaker to close the South Bend plant and concentrate assembly at the Hamilton plant.

Bill

Vancouver, BC

This car could very well be a bastardized, violated, fornicated and mutilated 31 Dodge Brothers DH-6...............Dont be so reserved in your discontempt for hot rods Dave :D

Guest RPDean

I am looking for a fan blade for a 1930 DC 8......It should be larger than 15inches across two blades....has 4 mounting studs.......

• 2 months later...
I do appreciate that there are both fans of restorations as well as rods. To each his own.

However, the AACA forums are focused on restorations.

Peter

I agree, but the quote by dc-8dave is uncalled for. This is a free country, but when did it become polite to insult that way? Just because you're behind a keyboard doesn't mean that proper etiquette goes out the window.

• 3 weeks later...

David, this is an AACA controlled forum. You've been told by at least two representatives of AACA to change your attitude. I know at least one other checks in this forum regularly, because of previous trouble. The DBC is a guest here and promotes original cars and the history of them. I don't think your comments are doing either, and others have told me they've quit following this forum because of drama just like you've created. The guy with the green car owns it and built it the way he enjoys it, accept it.

I concur with DC8Dave. The old values of the Antique

auto society are being stripped away-chopped, channeled,

and sectioned. Just as the old values of our nation are.

Again I point out it's an Obamanation!

So censor me again for - but realize your quick censorship

helps move us down that road.

• 1 month later...
Guest Robert McNeil

Yes it would be interesting to know where you are, how much you are asking for the chassis, and what the exact condition is. I am in Colorado. Thanks.

Hello again,

The chassis is in central Pennsylvania, about 50 miles north of Hershey. The frame is straight , the only thin spot is where the rear part of the 'X' member meets the right frame rail but it could be an easy repair. Front end and rear are good ; it has only 1 original wire wheel on it. Make me an offer or I would trade for a 25 - 29 Dodge, Plym or Chevy Frame : also looking for a 27/28 Dodge Fast 4 motor. Jim

Guest Robert McNeil

Hello Jim

I have a 1927 Chevy chassis with engine and trans, and a 1929 Pontiac frame with part of a coupe body to trade. I don't know how they would get to PA at first thought. But. email is bbhmcneil@msn.com Bob I have a 1931 Dodge sedan body I would like to use.

• 8 months later...
Guest oldnintyseven

I have a 31 dodge chassis with the wire wheels. i had planned on putting a 27 roadster fiberglass body on it But i would consider trading it for a t-bucket chassis. i am located in SC

• 4 years later...

Thanks John

Just had a 80-year-old customer call me looking for the front seats. He has had the car since he was 17. Bought in 1952. He took it to a resto shop and go ahead and use your thoughts. Couple years later with 80.000 paid out and all the parts are separated. He is saying that the part number is the same from 1929 to 1934. I questioned that.