What type of accessories or items would be found in 1930's Automobiles

Tom Laferriere

Glad to see it off the "for sale" page, Tom. But are you really sure you can part with that '39 120 after all those years??

You need a blanket for the rumble seat, and maybe some vintage college memorabilia (perhaps Brown or Harvard up your way) like a megaphone or a banner...

Bart- Just looked at your Packard, and it is one gorgeous car. Plus you guys on the westside get a whole lot more enjoyment from them than we do here in snow country.I do have a question regarding your shift lever knob, is this a Packard knob? It is very appealing to the eye,perhaps that is why I have one in my auto memorabilia. Thanks---Bob

• 2 months later...

I have never seen or heard of a Remo injector. One container of fluid is said to last 1000 miles. The gadget is advertised to reduce carbon build-up in cars that were driven short distances and pre-ignition on aluminum head cars whose owner's used "questionable types of gasoline". It must have injected tetraethyl lead or something similar but why it couldn't have just been added to a tank of gas is not clear to me. The factory instructed its dealers that "they can be readily sold and, if merchandised, be another means of increasing your Accessory and Service Department profits -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I have a REMO injector on my 32 Oldsmobile, anyone know how it works? it is plumbed into the intake & it does't seem to use any fluid. I will add photos tomorrow, Thanx! Tom

Guest De Soto Frank
I have never seen or heard of a Remo injector. One container of fluid is said to last 1000 miles. The gadget is advertised to reduce carbon build-up in cars that were driven short distances and pre-ignition on aluminum head cars whose owner's used "questionable types of gasoline". It must have injected tetraethyl lead or something similar but why it couldn't have just been added to a tank of gas is not clear to me. The factory instructed its dealers that "they can be readily sold and, if merchandised, be another means of increasing your Accessory and Service Department profits -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I have a REMO injector on my 32 Oldsmobile, anyone know how it works? it is plumbed into the intake & it does't seem to use any fluid. I will add photos tomorrow, Thanx! Tom

Sounds like an "upper cylinder lubricator", similar to an AMPCO or Marvel Inverse Oiler... I think the term "injector" might be being used generously... these devices usually used intake vacuum to draw the additive from the reservoir and dispense it into the intake.

Radio would have had a seperate vibrator in the pass footwell for B+, 1v tubes did not appear until 1938.

What was the period for radiator caps with the built in temp gauge ?

This sounds like an early water injection, like a Thompson Vitameter. They injected water into the intake to quench knocking. Aluminum heads were high compression, and were more prone to knock than the standard low compression heads.

The water also kept the combustion chamber clean as a whistle, steam cleaned as you drove.

They usually used a mixture of water and alcohol to prevent freezing and give an extra octane boost. Water injection is still used today on high compression and turbocharged cars. You won't need it on your car because the compression is so low compared to today's higher octane gas. The cheapest regular today is better than the highest hi test of the 30s or 40s.

Guest De Soto Frank

What was the period for radiator caps with the built in temp gauge ?

Moto-Meters were popular from the Teen's through about 1930 or so.

By 1932, most cars had the temp gauge on the dash, and the radiator filler went under the hood.

Dad's 1930 Chevy has the gauge on the dash; my Model A has none.