Sign in to follow this  
steveskyhawk

mufflers

Has anybody had any luck getting an original style muffler from a local shop? Is the 88-90 different fom the 91? I have a 91 with a bark and it quiets down when it gets warm. No two of my cars drive exactly the same. They all have a personality all their own.

Steve,

Your '91 has a 2-1/2" diameter system, pre-'91 is 2-1/4" diameter. Expand your horizons a little, search for a '91-93 Riv. muffler and see what materializes.

Steve,

No, the Riviera did not have the dual tailpipe. According to the 86-93 Riv/Reatta parts book:

1986-87 E57 (riv) muffler w/ tailpipe part # = 1638785

1998 E57 (riv) muffler w/ tailpipe part # = 164566796

1989-90 E57 (riv) muffler w/ tailpipe part # = 1649413

1988-90 E97 (reatta) muffler w/ tailpipes part # = 1647735

1991-93 E (91 riv & reatta; 92-93 riv) w/ tailpipe part # = 3531037

This info would indicate that 88-90 Reatta would have had dual tailpipes, but not the 91. Could you cut the duals off the old and weld onto the new? I've done this on my two 92 rivs...had the muffler shop cut the end of the tailpipe off and weld on chrome ones.

Hope this helps...

Could go for the schoolbus look...

When I had to replace the muffler on my 1988, both the dealership and a muffler shop got mufflers with dual outlets but had to configure exhaust "tips". Both assured me that going with a single outlet was just as functional as the duals, just a little louder.

Ok Steve,

I'ts' on to Plan "B"

Source a stainless "aftermarket muffler 2-1/2" inlet (for your '91) and I'm assuming 2 off 2" outlets (best measure!) and have the tips lopped off the old and attached to the new.

And the School Bus Look is just really coming into vogue, that's the single 4" straight pipe that makes that sad weezing sound.

For anything up to six cylinders and without a wild cam, your best exhast is a single pipe to maximise the extraction effect. The Reatta system is single anyway where you need the least restiction (hottest) so dual tips is more for styling, routing, or ground clearance than power.

My 90 coupe has a single chrome tip that is oval in shape and fills the space that the dual factory pipes took perfectly. It might have a little more growl when taking off from a stop but after it shifts into second it gets quiet.

post-61268-1431381675_thumb.jpg

When time comes - I want to use the camaro dual as outlined in a previous post. I would have done it a month ago, but was scared to make the cut on the black under the bumper.

Does anyone know the camaro muffler brand and part # that best fits the 88' to 90' Reatta. Preferably one in 2 out.

Thanks,

Reatta Forever

I recently installed a used Camaro set up on my '89. It came off a parts car, so I'm not sure the part #, but I know it's a flow master.

Sent from my mobile device using Forum Runner

The mufflers are available in The Reatta Store . Both Walker (stock sounding) and Flowmaster (Loud) are there. Look in the Engine and Trans category.

I checked up on the Walker muffler #18104, in the Reatta store, by calling Walker tech support. They said that you CANNOT switch the in with the out as in Barney Eatons "Camaro installation" setup.

Any other muffler brands and corresponding #'s

I did come up with one by Magnaflo. Magnaflo performance #18450 with the measurements of 5"x11"x22" overall 28"/ 2.5" in 2.25" out. The in is on one end the 2 outs are on the other. Very close size fit compaired with the O/E Reatta. I've been told with these specific dimensions (You can pick several different) it should be modeately quiet, because of it's length. The shorter length the more loud.

Any thoughts? Please share.

Thanks,

Reatta Forever (Steve)

I checked up on the Walker muffler #18104, in the Reatta store, by calling Walker tech support. They said that you CANNOT switch the in with the out as in Barney Eatons "Camaro installation" setup.

Any other muffler brands and corresponding #'s

I did come up with one by Magnaflo. Magnaflo performance #18450 with the measurements of 5"x11"x22" overall 28"/ 2.5" in 2.25" out. The in is on one end the 2 outs are on the other. Very close size fit compaired with the O/E Reatta. I've been told with these specific dimensions (You can pick several different) it should be modeately quiet, because of it's length. The shorter length the more loud.

Any thoughts? Please share.

Thanks,

Reatta Forever (Steve)

Thanks for checking out the Walker muffler.

I thought I had saved a link to a post where a Reatta owner said he had used the Walker muffler for a Camaro to do his dual exhaust. Since I'm not able to find it I will remove the Walker muffler from The Reatta Store.

What about the Flowmaster muffler in the Reatta Store? It has the same pipe sizes as the Walker muffler. Any info on it working?

Thanks for checking out the Walker muffler.

I thought I had saved a link to a post where a Reatta owner said he had used the Walker muffler for a Camaro to do his dual exhaust. Since I'm not able to find it I will remove the Walker muffler from The Reatta Store.

What about the Flowmaster muffler in the Reatta Store? It has the same pipe sizes as the Walker muffler. Any info on it working?

I didn't check out the Flowmaster because I was interested in a quieter sound. I can check it out tomorrow.

Ronnie,

I checked back with the Reatta store to get the part # for the Flowmaster muffler and it's not there. Can you supply me with the number.

Thanks,

Steve

Thanks Steve. I removed them both until I can verify something that will definitely work. I don't want to take the chance of someone getting the wrong part if I can help it. Thanks again for checking out the Walker muffler and verifying it being the wrong one.