mufflers

Guest steveskyhawk

Guest steveskyhawk

Has anybody had any luck getting an original style muffler from a local shop? Is the 88-90 different fom the 91? I have a 91 with a bark and it quiets down when it gets warm. No two of my cars drive exactly the same. They all have a personality all their own.

Guest Greg Ross

Steve,

Your '91 has a 2-1/2" diameter system, pre-'91 is 2-1/4" diameter. Expand your horizons a little, search for a '91-93 Riv. muffler and see what materializes.

Steve,

No, the Riviera did not have the dual tailpipe. According to the 86-93 Riv/Reatta parts book:

1986-87 E57 (riv) muffler w/ tailpipe part # = 1638785

1998 E57 (riv) muffler w/ tailpipe part # = 164566796

1989-90 E57 (riv) muffler w/ tailpipe part # = 1649413

1988-90 E97 (reatta) muffler w/ tailpipes part # = 1647735

1991-93 E (91 riv & reatta; 92-93 riv) w/ tailpipe part # = 3531037

This info would indicate that 88-90 Reatta would have had dual tailpipes, but not the 91. Could you cut the duals off the old and weld onto the new? I've done this on my two 92 rivs...had the muffler shop cut the end of the tailpipe off and weld on chrome ones.

Hope this helps...

Guest steveskyhawk

I was hoping that there was an easy fix but I guess that using the old tailpipes is the only way to do it. Thanks guys.

When I had to replace the muffler on my 1988, both the dealership and a muffler shop got mufflers with dual outlets but had to configure exhaust "tips". Both assured me that going with a single outlet was just as functional as the duals, just a little louder.

Guest Greg Ross

Ok Steve,

I'ts' on to Plan "B"

Source a stainless "aftermarket muffler 2-1/2" inlet (for your '91) and I'm assuming 2 off 2" outlets (best measure!) and have the tips lopped off the old and attached to the new.

And the School Bus Look is just really coming into vogue, that's the single 4" straight pipe that makes that sad weezing sound.

For anything up to six cylinders and without a wild cam, your best exhast is a single pipe to maximise the extraction effect. The Reatta system is single anyway where you need the least restiction (hottest) so dual tips is more for styling, routing, or ground clearance than power.

Guest Richard D

My 90 coupe has a single chrome tip that is oval in shape and fills the space that the dual factory pipes took perfectly. It might have a little more growl when taking off from a stop but after it shifts into second it gets quiet.

post-61268-1431381675_thumb.jpg

When time comes - I want to use the camaro dual as outlined in a previous post. I would have done it a month ago, but was scared to make the cut on the black under the bumper.

• 2 years later...
Guest Reatta Forever

Does anyone know the camaro muffler brand and part # that best fits the 88' to 90' Reatta. Preferably one in 2 out.

Thanks,

Reatta Forever

Guest Reatta Forever

I checked up on the Walker muffler #18104, in the Reatta store, by calling Walker tech support. They said that you CANNOT switch the in with the out as in Barney Eatons "Camaro installation" setup.

Any other muffler brands and corresponding #'s

I did come up with one by Magnaflo. Magnaflo performance #18450 with the measurements of 5"x11"x22" overall 28"/ 2.5" in 2.25" out. The in is on one end the 2 outs are on the other. Very close size fit compaired with the O/E Reatta. I've been told with these specific dimensions (You can pick several different) it should be modeately quiet, because of it's length. The shorter length the more loud.

Any thoughts? Please share.

Thanks,

Reatta Forever (Steve)

I checked up on the Walker muffler #18104, in the Reatta store, by calling Walker tech support. They said that you CANNOT switch the in with the out as in Barney Eatons "Camaro installation" setup.

Any other muffler brands and corresponding #'s

I did come up with one by Magnaflo. Magnaflo performance #18450 with the measurements of 5"x11"x22" overall 28"/ 2.5" in 2.25" out. The in is on one end the 2 outs are on the other. Very close size fit compaired with the O/E Reatta. I've been told with these specific dimensions (You can pick several different) it should be modeately quiet, because of it's length. The shorter length the more loud.

Any thoughts? Please share.

Thanks,

Reatta Forever (Steve)

Thanks for checking out the Walker muffler.

I thought I had saved a link to a post where a Reatta owner said he had used the Walker muffler for a Camaro to do his dual exhaust. Since I'm not able to find it I will remove the Walker muffler from The Reatta Store.

What about the Flowmaster muffler in the Reatta Store? It has the same pipe sizes as the Walker muffler. Any info on it working?

Guest Reatta Forever
Thanks for checking out the Walker muffler.

I thought I had saved a link to a post where a Reatta owner said he had used the Walker muffler for a Camaro to do his dual exhaust. Since I'm not able to find it I will remove the Walker muffler from The Reatta Store.

What about the Flowmaster muffler in the Reatta Store? It has the same pipe sizes as the Walker muffler. Any info on it working?

I didn't check out the Flowmaster because I was interested in a quieter sound. I can check it out tomorrow.

Guest Reatta Forever

Ronnie,

I checked back with the Reatta store to get the part # for the Flowmaster muffler and it's not there. Can you supply me with the number.

Thanks,

Steve

Thanks Steve. I removed them both until I can verify something that will definitely work. I don't want to take the chance of someone getting the wrong part if I can help it. Thanks again for checking out the Walker muffler and verifying it being the wrong one.

This is the one I bought for mine. I too wanted an original but I couldn't find one, and had a hard time finding a fancier one that wasn't going to be louder.

Walker® Quiet-Flow® SS 22354 - Muffler | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Walker site lists it as 1 in, 2 out, so the configuration is right, and the size is about right. I'll let you know how it goes once the body shop gets that far.

Guest Reatta Forever

Fox W.

I just checked out the Walker #22354. The picture I got was one in one out. I don't know if there is a mix up on the number, or what, but I just decided to go ahead and order The Magnaflo performance muffler #14580 with dimensions of 5"x11"x22" and 28 overall. It is one in two out 2.5 in 2.25 out. Dimension wise is almost the same as the O/E Reatta. I'm told it has moderatate exterior noise.

Guest Reatta Forever

Hello again,

I just checked out your muffler again on a different web site. Amazon apparently is showing a wrong picture. Advance Auto parts show it as one in two out. The dimensions on yours look pretty good. The one I chose was closer to O/E. After I have mine installed next week I'll let you know.

The Walker 22354 (http://www.walkerexhaust.com/images/catalog/coupons/10390.gif) is 1 in and 2 out. But the 'in' port is on the same side as one of the 'out' ports. Also it is the V-8 muffler, so the 'in' port is 2-1/2", and the "out" ports are 2-1/4".

It seems like the Walker 18240 (http://www.walkerexhaust.com/images/catalog/coupons/10392.gif) would be almost identical to what is in our '88-'90 cars. That is, it has a 2-1/4" inlet and twin 2" outlets - which is the same as the Reatta. All the ports are on the correct sides. It even cross references into some 1986-1990 Electra/Lesabre/Olds 88/Olds 98/Bonneville 3800 applications.

Edited by wws944 (see edit history)

Guest Reatta Forever

Are you able to make the out port by itself on oneside as the in port and make the inport and outport on the same side into both outports, like in Barney Eatons Camaro diagram. The Walker they were showing, in the Reatta store, you couldn't do it that way. Just wondering for other peoples reference.

I just checked three different aftermarket catalogs and below is the findings......... no way of telling how loud or quiet the different brands might be, you would need to call their technical support.

Ground zero.....factory Reatta size 1988-1990 pipes are 2 1/4 in and out the muffler body is 22 1/5 long. 1991 pipes are 2 1/2 in and out body is 24 1/2 long.

THRUSH MUFFLER # 17652 is 2 1/4 in and out body is 13inches overall length is 19

# 17653 is 2 1/2 in and out body is same as above

DYNOMAX MUFFLER #17963 3 in in and 2 1/2 out, body is 20 long Overall length is 25

MAGNAFLOW MUFFLER #12251 is 2 1/4 in and out body is 18 overall not listed

#12268 is 2 1/2 in and out body is 18

All of the above are NOT listed a Camaro mufflers, and I could not find anything in the online catalog that showed their Camaro could be hooked up like a Reatta.

Ground zero.....factory Reatta size 1988-1990 pipes are 2 1/4 in and out the muffler body is 22 1/5 long. 1991 pipes are 2 1/2 in and out body is 24 1/2 long.

Actually, on my '90, the stock 'out' pipes are 2", not 2 1/4". Considering that the whole rest of the system is 2-1/4", I doubt that either way makes much difference in back pressure. The twin output pipes do look neat though.

One nice thing about the Magnaflows is that they are stainless - just like the factory system.

Re: mufflers

I was hoping that there was an easy fix but I guess that using the old tailpipes is the only way to do it. Thanks guys.

Here's what I did about two years ago.

I believe the muffler was listed as being for a Camaro. I don't remember what brand or the part number. Could be Walker. It won't win any awards but it works and at first blush, aside from the muffler length, it looks original. My intent was to re-use the original tail pipes but found it easier to use off the shelf parts from AutoZone and, or AdvanceAuto to fabricate a reasonable facsimile.

It's been a while since I've posted photos or used a file converter so I apologize in advance if the images are too big or too small.

post-67519-14313909695_thumb.jpg

post-67519-143139096937_thumb.jpg

post-67519-143139096944_thumb.jpg

post-67519-143139096947_thumb.jpg

Edited by Machiner 55
To post the quote. (see edit history)

Guest Reatta Forever

Thanks for the info and the pics. On the muffler I chose the out are seperated but I figure just bring the out, closest to the front of the car, a little farther out from the muffler port so it will line up next to the other one.

Re: mufflers

Here's what I did about two years ago.

I believe the muffler was listed as being for a Camaro. I don't remember what brand or the part number. Could be Walker. It won't win any awards but it works and at first blush, aside from the muffler length, it looks original. My intent was to re-use the original tail pipes but found it easier to use off the shelf parts from AutoZone and, or AdvanceAuto to fabricate a reasonable facsimile.

It's been a while since I've posted photos or used a file converter so I apologize in advance if the images are too big or too small.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]145741[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]145742[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]145743[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]145744[/ATTACH]

That looks fantastic! If I ever need a new muffler, I hope mine will turn out that good!

The Walker 22354 (http://www.walkerexhaust.com/images/catalog/coupons/10390.gif) is 1 in and 2 out. But the 'in' port is on the same side as one of the 'out' ports. Also it is the V-8 muffler, so the 'in' port is 2-1/2", and the "out" ports are 2-1/4".

It seems like the Walker 18240 (http://www.walkerexhaust.com/images/catalog/coupons/10392.gif) would be almost identical to what is in our '88-'90 cars. That is, it has a 2-1/4" inlet and twin 2" outlets - which is the same as the Reatta. All the ports are on the correct sides. It even cross references into some 1986-1990 Electra/Lesabre/Olds 88/Olds 98/Bonneville 3800 applications.

Good find on the Walker 18240. Mine hasn't been installed yet and now I am wondering if I should just let them try the 22354 or if I should get the 18240..

Though as you said this 18240 one has 2" outlets and I thought my '89 has 2 1/4 all around, can someone confirm what is so? I do think the 22354 is made all the same for the single side to be the in, and balances the two outs, despite placement, but I don't know for certain. I believe it said the single-end was the in.

Thanks.

Guest Reatta Forever

I didn't feel comfortable trusting that the ports could be switched. That is why I contacted Walker and talked to their tech support. He said they cannot be switched. I believe the outs on the original Reatta are 2" and the in is 2 1/4" If your replacement muffler is off by 1/4 or 1/2 an inch you can adjust with adapters.

I went with the Magnaflo #14580. You can pick from several dimensions. I picked 5" x 12" x 22" and 28" over all. 2 1/2" in 2 1/4" out. This was the closest to original size that I found. I'm told it will have a low/medium sound.