1953 Special 2-dr. hardtop

Pete Phillips

Okay, it's not my car, but I just finished a two-year restoration of this 1953 model 45-R Special and I think the owner, Jack Krietzburg of New Mexico, won't mind me showing off his wonderful car. Notice the incredibly rare, 1953 Special ONLY wire wheel covers! I chose not to install his rear fender skirts because they would cover up most of those beautiful wire wheel covers and wide whitewalls.

The car was a rolling, bare body--no dash, no glass, bare engine block, and 7 or 8 boxes of parts when it arrived here two years ago. It will be in attendance at the South Central Regional Buick meet in Granbury, Texas this weekend.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Sherman, Texas

post-32059-143138116055_thumb.jpg

post-32059-143138116059_thumb.jpg

post-32059-143138116063_thumb.jpg

Another awesome achievement there Pete. A classic auto in a classic color. The wire wheel covers do look great. Did you restore them also. If so perhaps you could post thread wit lots of show and tell pictures. I've seen some of the other than Special covers on some 54's and were told that they were bought with the car because the dealer had them left over from 53. How about some more interior shots. Again great work and I know the owner is very happy. :)

Oh man! My eldest sister had that car ( with the exception of white under the sweepspear) when she graduated from college and got married. I still remember it idling in the driveway next to Dad's 55 Special, as I compared exhaust tones. Love the work you did Pete. Kinda wondering how you find the time to edit the Bugle and restore cars at the same time? You gotta clone or something?

Great job Pete, the car looks great.

The 1953 Specials are a little overlooked as the big news for 53 was the introduction of the V8 motor in the Super and Roadmasters while the Special had the honour of running out the left over straight 8's.

BUT, the run out straight 8's were the 263 cu in, hydraulic valve lifter, replaceable bearing, high compression motors. When hooked up to a Dynaflow they also ran a 3.6 to 1 rear end. Put that into the small 2 door Special body and it makes for a pretty good performer.

On the trip from Seattle to Flint in 2003 I got to drive an identical car owned by Chuck Russell ( I think current Director of the North Cascade Chapter ) and was very impressed with its road handling and general performance - not what you would describe as a slow car!

All in all I would think a 53 2 door Special ( Riviera? ) is a pretty desirable model.

Nice car, would get one but wife says: NO MORE CARS, UNLESS WE MOVE TO TEXAS AND GET LAND WITH A HUGE METAL SHED FOR MY CARS!

I will have one someday, but the Dynaflow must go! Love the straight eight, good engine as long as it has twin carbs, fuel starvation on end cylinders is not good.

I appreciate that you restored a basket case and that the new owner paid you to do it. Much better then having him buy an already finished car. This saves another one

Pete

WOW !!! Beautiful job on a beautiful car--- its amazing what becomes of a basket case with a little TLC, love, and an owner lucky enough to have you do the restoration. Kudos to you. As already asked-- I don't know how you find the time to keep doing the quality restoration work and edit the Bugle. Keep up the good work on both ends.

Guest riffraff94526

Hi Pete, Just received the side mouldings you sent. Thank you very much! The red 53 looks great. Nice job. I used to own a 53 special. One of my favorites.

Scott