Avanti R2, 1963, refresh

Oh, and I am suppose to get the painting estimate for the Avanti tomorrow. Stayed tuned.

John,

My tuner must be broke or I tuned to the wrong channel :D as I never caught the episode where you covered the results of your discussion with the painter. Was there a result to report? Scott...

Hey John,

Is your ebay seller from VA? Maybe they could tell you who they got them from. I haven't lived in VA for 17 or 18 years, but I think there must be a way to get a release. Maybe through the State Police? You obviously have possession of the plates, so they cannot be used by the former owner. That alone should be a starting point.

It is Saturday, Dec. 4th. Cold here this morning, 24 degrees.

Frank, am going to write the VA DMV to see if I have any options on the plates, otherwise I am just going to use them when I display the car.

Scott, just got a bid from the third painter. It is $4,000 so looks like this bid is in the middle of the range of what I have gotten so far. Found one more place to check out and will try to do that in the next couple of weeks.

It is still Saturday. Have not heard from Greg since our brake bleeding. I will have to give him a shout.

Yesterday, the electrician and propane installers showed up. The whole house generator now runs, and the electrician has run conduit for the power lines and transfer box. He has to come back for another half day next week. Will be nice when this is done and the generator operational.

Got the 23 started and out of the garage, heading to a Christmas parade tomorrow. I think a couple of town officials are going to ride with us. Should be a fun day. Suppose to be a high of 38 degrees so we will have to dress warm for sure. Here are a couple of pics.

post-48480-143138367944_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138367959_thumb.jpg

John, it seems that the weather in your location is better than what we have now in Switzerland: temperatures way under freezing point (between - 5 and - 9°C) and an unusual amount of snow for this period of the year. My cars are stored at about 2300 feet above sea; there is certainly much more snow there!

post-66721-143138368358_thumb.jpg

It is Sunday PM. Just heard from Greg. He has been busy with work, and it has been too cold in the hanger to work on the Avanti. He has to get the wheels on and some kind of seat to be able to move it into the shop area if he can find some room.

But we headed out this morning about 10 AM for the parade, which was to start at 1 PM. We had a great time. The crowd was huge for a little town in the Virginia foothills. It was a bit cold around 35 degrees with a 20 mph wind. Brrrrrrrrr. The car ran great, but it was a little hard to start.

The other old cars in the parade were a 1931 Chrysler and a 1928 Essex. Lots of horses, mini burrows, llamas, sheep and an abundance of dogs of all shapes and sizes. Here are some pics.

post-48480-143138368595_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138368609_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138368623_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138368637_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138368651_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138368666_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138368681_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138368697_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138368712_thumb.jpg

It is Monday, Dec 6th. Was going to put the 23 away for the winter, but nooooooooooooo! She has a Christmas bonfire to go to on Saturday. Have to remember to part far enough away as to not get cinders on my top.

Now that I confirmed that Greg is alive, here is his report for the weekend.

"Nothing done on the Avanti. That garage (aka airplane hanger) is colder than Unimog's hiney in a Christmas parade, so I did some shop work on Saturday.

Went to Maryland on Sunday and spent a few minutes with the Stoddard planning some work for the upcoming year. While there, I also spent some time on another project. My New Year's resolution from last December. I've been finding time for it during the year, and it will make it's debut probably next month.

So that leaves the Matheson engine. Enclosed is the pic of rocker progress. The rebushed stands have been reamed. Took five tries to get the four of them done. One didn't clean up properly, so I rebushed it and rereamed it.

Today I machined the repair bushings for the rockers themselves and they are pressed in place, silver soldered and awaiting to be reamed, then honed to fit the new pins. When I get the new pins done."

post-48480-143138369202_thumb.jpg

It is Tuesday, Dec. 7th. Cold here today, 22 degrees this morning.

Alice came home from the store yesterday and said that she saw Greg, and he asked if it would be OK for me to go to Maryland to see the warehouse. She said sure. A boy's night out!

Turns out that Greg needed to head back to MD to get some more measurements on the "thing" he is working on. He has set a deadline of the end of this year to get it done. Hence the frequent trips.

So off we go, 160 miles round trip. We talked about old cars and hobbies all the way up. Such fun. Then we arrived at the "warehouse". What a place, three stories of cars and related stuff. It was the Rob Burchill collection of mostly Chrysler cars collected by his Dad, Robert, and Rob.

The main/2nd floor holds most of the collection. He has it separated into three section, unheated storage, heated work area and display, and office area. The office is almost as big as our entire house. The basement holds 70s/80s low mileage cars, and the top floor hold parts, books, etc. The whole arrangement was well thought out. I was really impressed.

While Greg worked, Rob took me through his collection. All the cars are running through my head, and I cannot remember the year or model of any of them. All I can say is that Ron has some beautiful cars, many unrestored originals. I think that there must have been at least 50 or more cars in the building. Here are a few pics. Some are a little dark.

As we were getting ready to leave Rob handed me a wheel cap for our 23 McLaughlin Buick. He said that it needed to be back on a car. So today, it will go on the car. Thanks Rob!

post-48480-143138369831_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138369845_thumb.jpg

post-48480-14313836986_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138369875_thumb.jpg

post-48480-14313836989_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138369905_thumb.jpg

post-48480-14313836992_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138369934_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138369948_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138369963_thumb.jpg

Edited by unimogjohn (see edit history)

John,

<O:p</O:pIf that is a taste of what’s there it would be wonderful to see the whole of it, especially if one were to be a Chrysler Products fan (such as myself). If I am correct some of these cars were part of the Burchill collection near Port Huron in Michigan, if so I’m sure that I may have seen some of these with Keiser31 back when we were kids. It does sound like some collection. Great that you could go, see and have the opportunity to take the pictures that you did. Just a bit envious on this end. Scott…

Bob Burchill was a very good man and friend. The last time I saw him was at my father's funeral in Port Huron, Michigan in August of 2003. I had not seen him for about 15 or 20 years prior to that and he was still the same good guy.

I still have books and parts I had purchased from him back in the late '60s. He always shared valuable information about Chrysler products whenever I saw him.

Roger, yes, it is a private collection. It is amazing what Bob collected, there are just boxes and boxes of books and manuals still to be unpacked and put on shelves. Rob is doing a great job getting everything sorted and out of boxes. It seemed like almost every car had tools a bit parts next to it, so Ron is working hard to keep the collection alive and running. I can barely keep four cars running, let alone 40. My hat is off to him.

It is Wednesday, Dec 8th, colder than yesterday, about 16 degrees. Yesterday, Wayne, the Corvette guy, came over with a huge load tester for the whole house generator. He hooked it up and went through a process to condition the engine and the generator itself. It basically, was a electrical load test at various demands for electricity, from 5KW, all the way to 20KW. Wayne explained that this breaks in everything correctly. He checked all the electrical outputs, and pronounced it good. I guess that we had the generator running for about an hour. Today, Mike, the electrician, comes over and will complete the connection to the house. So it will be done, not that I did that much.

Here is Greg's report for yesterday. "Pearl Harbor Day.

Time to pause during a busy day to reflect. In my opinion, on this day in 1941, this country began it's finest few years. Years of sacrifce and suffering. A country unified in a struggle. My father's generation. Some years when not only the men served our cause, but everyone. Veterans of the First War or wars before who were too senior for combat were working towards our victory. Our women were in many ways to allow our men to offer their lives. Even children were helping with scrap drives. All , no matter the persuasion, Americans with a goal.

If you are reading this and old enough to remember.....thank you for what you did. As diverse as this country has become, I can't imagine we'll ever see that unity ever again.

As for today's progress, not much. Outside it is windy and it is colder than a teacher's wit. Didn't find me in that tin barn where the Avanti waits.

Matheson got a little attention. Enclosed is a picture of the pistons. Five inch bore. You can see that the last guy working on this has made a substitution for the 5/16" wide rings. Some rings omitted, the rest of the ring lands filled with double rings. I'll use new 5/16". OK, somebody has to be the purist.

And for you gearheads, get this. Piston weights:

9 lb, 3.8 oz

9 lb. 3.9 oz

9 lb. 5.2 oz

9 lb. 6.9 oz

=

post-48480-143138371208_thumb.jpg

amazing that those 9 pound pistons can change direction when running!

Just for the record on the pictures, the gray Stoddard and the rust-brown Reo are Greg's, stored at Rob's. Rob has a great collection of cars, attached is a picture of his 2 cylinder Reo. It's mostly MoPar, though....

post-31482-143138371503_thumb.jpg

Not to take away from this thread, but to add to the fun...check out my post in the "General Discussion" forum with photos of Bob Burchill's outdoor storage. Scott.....you will laugh!

It is Thursday, Dec 9th. Let's just say it it the coldest morning of the season today. Next week is going to be even colder. Pls. let the snow stay away for a bit longer.

Electrician was here all day yesterday running wire for the new generator and making our main circuit panel a sub panel to the new transfer box. He is coming back this morning to connect the transfer box to the main meter. Oh boy, we are getting close. Had to crank up the little generator to keep the stove going for most of the day. I forgot how loud it is, but in a pinch you seem not to mind a all.

As for Greg, here is his report for Wednesday. "Ok boys and girls. Tonight I've been getting in some time on Project X .

Also, for the Matheson fans are some pics.

One of the cylinders had been replaced due to damage to #3. Cracked where a head stud thread intersects one of the make and break ignition components mount. Further damage to the cylinder wall, a large chunk missing.

Also one of the heads had cracked. They were sent to Jim Snyder in Georgia, the wizard of fabrication and welding. Somehow he was able to weld the head and retain the brass plug. It' still serial numbered.

They just came back, weren't gone any time."

post-48480-143138372476_thumb.jpg

post-48480-14313837248_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138372484_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138372487_thumb.jpg

It is Sunday, Dec 12th. Looks like the midwest is getting hammered with snow and blizzard conditions. We may get grazed by it on Monday.

Have not heard anything from Greg in a couple of days. I know he is working on his special project that is up in Maryland.

But things have been busy here. The electrician finally finished up at 8 PM on Friday. So now we have a working generator. In total he spent 23 hours on the install. I thought it would be an easy install, who knew it would be so major? I have not got his bill yet. I am bracing myself for the outflow of dollar bills from my wallet. Oh well. Pics of the transfer switch and upgrading of our main circuit panel, which is now a sub-panel to the transfer switch.

Yesterday we took the 23 McLaughlin Buick to a town bonfire holiday event yesterday. I though there would be a few old cars there. Nope, only us. Lots of people and good food. Had a hounds demo also. Here are a couple of pics. Shadow was not too happy, did not want to leave the car, just too many people.

Also found a McLaughlin Buick radiator emblem for the 23. I have one on the radiator now, but it is too small and was probably for a tail light bracket. But it was all I was able to find a year ago. So now I have a correct sized one. But this also is a compromise. It should have a diamond shaped one versus the rectangle. Well, at least it is one step closer. Have some repairs to make to the emblem so will head to the hobby store on Monday for some model enamel to see if I can match or make up the missing blue sections. Here are a couple of pics.

post-48480-143138374769_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138374784_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138374798_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138374813_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138374827_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138374841_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138374856_thumb.jpg

Brian, out in farm country with lots of trees we lose power frequently. And when we lose it the time is measured in days. For example, we were without power for 7 days and then 4 days a month later. We have two little generators, but they do not power the water pump or furnace. So at this point in our lives, I thought it wise to purchase a generator that ran everything. What really was the tipping point was that almost everyone that had a gas generators ran out of fuel and had to walk out through almost three feet of snow for help. It was luck that I had about 40 gallons of fuel and could help out a couple of neighbors. At the end of seven days I was down to one gallon. With our 500 gallon propane tank, fuel should not be an issue if I keep it over half full at all times.

It is Sunday evening, Greg just sent me his weekend report.

"It's been a while since I checked in.

I've gotten some work done, but mostly complained about the weather. This cold and damp makes my bones hurt. It also makes travelling worthy of a second thought. I did make another trip or two to Rob's place where some of my cars are stored.

The Stoddard Dayton still has a list of things to be done. I had a problem with the foot brake anchor studs that I'd made for it. Difficulty with cottering the adjusting nuts. Couldn't find the holes, so I'd saftied them with wire. I've since removed a sample stud and made a couple more today. This time I made them too long and haven't drilled them. I'll test fit them and mark for length and cotters. Of course I'll forget to take them along next trip.

I've also spent some time on the Avanti seat tracks. Found a grindstone that would fit in the channels . I ground out those grooves worn by the ball bearings. Right now they are hanging in the paint room where they've gotten a coat of cadmium in a can. I haven't been in a hurry to get them done because I haven't heard a thing from the seat upholsterer. Getting kindof torqued off. Of course I don't guess there's a hurry now. Even if had them in the car so I could drive it to this bulding, right now there isn't room for a Smartcar.

Matheson flywheel has been waiting for me to do some cosmetic work to it, spent some time doing that.

Otherwise, not much exciting to report at this time. But I'm working on it.

Photo expanation:

1. Stoddard brake shoe anchors

2. Typical seat track wear

3. Grinding the grooves

4. Seat tracks hanging in cluttered paint room

post-48480-143138375457_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138375461_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138375715_thumb.jpg

post-48480-14313837572_thumb.jpg

It is Tuesday, 14th. Holy heck Batman, it is 12 degrees outside! I know other places are colder than us in VA, but it is sure cold for here. We are suppose to still be in the mid 40 degrees. Really cold weather usually does not hit us until the end of January.

Greg continues to work inside on his projects. Me, I mounted the new McLaughlin Buick radiator emblem on the car. However, it will not fit correctly into the mounting hole. The hole in the radiator surround is dented and pushed out a bit, so the tab on the emblem does not fit into the surround. I pushed and pushed and could not get it to even start to seat. So it will require some reforming of the hole to get it to seat. So interim I put on a couple of strips of the 3M double backed foam tape to get it to seal against the surround. It does stick out a bit, but not too noticeable. It will be OK for the winter, a project for the spring. At least I will not lose it in the clutter, I know where it is.

And here is Greg's Monday report. "Matheson engine first. I guess you're getting tired of seeing rocker arm pictures. Me too. Tonight I reamed the sleeved bores to size. If you play Where's Waldo with previous shots, you'll see that I've also welded holes closed on two of them. Don't know what someone was thinking, the others don't have them and they're not in the factory pics.

Avanti: Started machining rivets for the seat tracks. Slow going. I'd better try assembling one to see it I'm on the right track. It's been a long time since I've dismembered these things and the trail grows cold."

post-48480-143138376026_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138376041_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138376055_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138376059_thumb.jpg

It is Wednesday, Dec. 15. Looks to be a very nice day, too bad it is only 8 degrees this morning.

Here is Greg's report from last night. Just a comment, I saw the Matheson engine as it arrived at the shop in a huge box. When the box was opened I saw a beautiful engine that looks like new. Greg said that it had been rebuilt and had a few miles on it, but the owner wanted Greg to completely go through it. I said to myself, why? It looks great. Now I know.

"Tonight's progress.

Removed the rings and wrist pins from the Matheson pistons. I'll send the pistons out tomorrow for magnafluxing. This to inspect for any cracks. Those nine pound slugs changing directions could cause problems if one broke.

I'm also sending out the valve rocker arm rollers for regrinding . They are boxed with a sample rocker shaft. It needs a new set fabricated. Same place will do both jobs.

As for my Avanti seat tracks, got TWO TOGETHER! For such a simple job, it's been a real bear. Lesson learned is to keep one assembled to serve as a reference. I'm short a couple rivets, I'll make them tomorrow.

Photos of: Matheson piston from hole #4. Looks like something came loose and was rattling around. Two Avanti seat tracks done.

post-48480-143138377005_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138377009_thumb.jpg

Can you believe that Greg's love of the Avanti was formed when he was in high school? Well, I asked Greg to document some of his letters with Studebaker and Paxton relative to the Avanti. Where is this going to lead? Well, Greg has been working on his "special project" for a year now, and it is about done or as far as he can take it. I won't reveal it yet, but this will provide you with an opening into its history and the documentation behind it. I can tell you that it is the only "one" and is associated with fastest Avanti at that time in history. Here we go, let the story begin.

Greg's story: "I'm going to begin posting copies of correspondence that may be of interest to Studebaker enthusiasts. It was research that I began in the sixties. Most of it with Paxton Products (Studebaker's performance division in Santa Monica).

Since Unimog is more familiar with this weblog process, I'll ask him to distribute these to any Studebaker or Avanti related groups that might like to see them.

I should also offer an explanation for some of them.

As for the correspondence, I've been asked to explain myself. Not sure I can. It would take almost sixty-three years to do. Always drawn to mechanical transportation and history as far back as I can remember.

For the Studebaker side of my life, it would date to the day I was walking to school, passing by Kern Motor Company the local dealer. They were unloading an Avanti. A gold R2 fourspeed (RQ 2724). The other guys at school who were interested in cars were talking Corvettes, later on Mustangs, etc. When I saw that Avanti I knew right then it was "me". Still is. No way I could afford one (if I had a driver's license), but I knew I would own one someday.

Armed with a parts book, I began looking for performance parts, and a set of Halibrand wheels. By '66/67 Kern Motors didn't have a clue where to find R-3 parts. Thus I began the search.

These are typical replies:

2-23-67 From Studebaker. (editor: I believe that this was in reference to Greg's order for a R3 engine cam.) Remember that in February 1967 I was a high school senior still living at home, and owning an Avanti was just a dream.

4-1-68 This reply from Paxton was a postscript to an order for parts. By April 1st of '68 I was almost finished my USAF tech schooling at Chanute AFB, Illinois and soon to be sent to my first duty station.

Perhaps of note is that the only car I owned was an unfinshed (still) Model A Ford. My first Avanti didn't occur until May of 1969 after my return from Viet Nam. (RQ 5054 R2 automatic, Mishawauka, Indiana).

post-48480-143138377024_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138377028_thumb.jpg

Roger, yes, I promise it will be interesting at the end of the story on Greg's special project.

It is Friday, December 17th. Very cold here this morning about 18 degrees. We got our first real snow of the season yesterday, about 2 inches.

Here is Greg's report from last night.

"Snow day. When my Idaho connection called this morning from his daily routine of breakfast with the guys at the Burger Stop in Twin Falls, I mentioned that we were getting snow. He lowered the his phone and told the crowd that it was "snowing in Washington". I could hear the collective sarcastic moaning and groaning that prompted me to resume the conversation by having it announced that they were all a bunch of A (censored)s. And they are.

Anyway. Matheson engine business. Unboxed the main bearings to be readied for installation when I get the flywheel painted. The bearings look very nice and should only require fitting and lapping.

Also enclosed is a picture comparison of pistons. The big one is the five inch Matheson, fifty horsepower and the smaller is a 4 3/8" Wright Brothers vertical thirty-five horsepower model. Get this. The crankshaft and flywheel of the Matheson weigh more (215#) than the whole Wright (180#).

Stoddard brake shoe anchor studs are drilled, shortened, primed, painted and ready for installation.

No Avanti work tonight.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Special Project. Tonight's document is from Paxton Products. The date of the reply indicates that even though it is to my home address, I was then "in country". Interesting that by '68 they were out of R3/4 valve covers and deep sump oil pans.

As these Paxton communications present themselves, watch the similarity in signatures. The /sn is for Sue Nadon. Wonder where she is now?

To be continued.........

post-48480-143138378539_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138378543_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138378547_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138378551_thumb.jpg

It is Sunday, December 19th. Still very cold here, too cold to work in unheated spaces. But Greg is pressing on with inside jobs. Here is his weekend report.

"Looking back over the last couple days, I can't think of much to report that was constructive. Destructive I can.

Made a trip back up to Maryland to install those brake parts on the Stoddard Dayton. Better back on the car than lost somewhere between my toolbox here in Warrenton and the car there in Maryland.

That's the good news. After today's efforts, my stock is down. First thing this morning I found myself in Theton's shop to assist with some of the Stoddard fender project. Guess that will teach him not to enlist my help before I'm awake. Trying to form the 5/8" bead on the rear fender "flats", the pencil line we were following got away from us. One thing about flat fenders, flat is only flat once. We tried removing the errant bead with hammer and dolly to try again, but once metal is stretched, it has to go somewhere. He'll have to cut, shape and rewire a replacement. Sorry man.

Once back here at the ranch, I had a small piece to prime and paint. But now fast forward to the part where it is now soaking in paint remover.

Good thing I wasn't working in a dynamite factory the last couple days.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

For tonight's reading assignment I've enclosed a few more communications. Trying to keep them in chronological order, but I did back up a little to show you an earlier letterhead and autograph.

The May 7, '68 (my 20th birthday) item describes what corporate did with remaining Performance Dept., as well as dealer advertising inventory.

June 16, '68 from Halibrand indicated that the type wheels offered for Studebakers were NLA even then.

June 25, '68 is a nice note from Andy G. of STP.

A long time ago. I was just a pup."

post-48480-143138379815_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138379829_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138379843_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138379859_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138379873_thumb.jpg

OK, you Avanti and Studebaker historians better sit up and pay attention, here comes some history that is very important. By that, I mean Greg's documentation, by a guy who was "in country" not long after the Studebaker swan song, but even there, he was bird dogging pieces and parts and information from the people whose names are linked with performance engineering..........neat, cool stuff.....

I love the letter from Andy.. "The month of May is a pretty busy Month for us".

I would say so,as it was 1968 that he had 2 turbine powered cars running at Indy. They led for a good portion of the race till they both snapped fuel pump shafts.

We were sitting in the first turn that year and hearing those cars come around was pretty amazing. After the race we hung around and were able to get into the pits and check them out up close (Dad worked for USAC at that time).

Thanks for showing those letters, I had not thought of that race for a long time.

I have received a couple of PMs asking if the Due Cento exists today. According to the Studebaker Drivers Club forum it does still exist. From what I have read it is owned by Richard Bennett of PA. I understand that it currently under restoration, but not with the original Bonneville R5 engine.

Here is one thread discussing the car. It has some great pictures of the car and the engine.

R5 Avanti

It is Wednesday, December 22nd. Here is some more Avanti racing information from Greg. It was interesting to note that Andy Granatelli stated that there was only "one" R5 engine.

"Spent the whole evening in the Matheson engine department. Made a plug with a center hole to setup the repaired cylinder in the lathe. The repair had been left standing a little proud as per my instruction. Tonight I felt like machining the outside of the bore round again.

Otherwise:

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Copies of more Avanti parts correspondence.

Jun 19, 1969. I see I'm now stationed at the air base in Wiesbaden, Germany. I have rotated out of RVN, been home on leave . While on leave, Phil Ritter and I traveled to South Bend where we went to Newman and Altman's Avanti Sales to shop for a car.

With some used Studebakers available, but none supercharged. I did some snooping and located a black R-2 automatic in Mishawauka. No four speed, but with all the money I had between us, made the deal and drove it home. Don't know how we ate or bought gas, but drove the car back. My first Avanti, RQ 5054.

So now in Germany I was wishing I had the car with me so that I could go play on a highway with no speed limit. With no car to play with, I resumed writing letters. And buying parts from Paxton.

Even with a pay cut, I had been making as an Airman First, $208 a month. Now in Germany I wasn't getting combat pay and I wasn't income tax exempt either.

June 19, 1968 Vince at Paxton has a set of pistons on hand, valves and the 288* cams are gone.

August 13, '69 Studebaker is now Studebaker Automotive Sales Company and another autograph from Carl Thompson.

August 26, 1969 Another note from Andy.

Maybe the other guys were right. I'd probably have better luck with Corvettes or Mustangs."

post-48480-143138381668_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138381673_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138381677_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138381681_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138381706_thumb.jpg

post-48480-14313838172_thumb.jpg

It is Thursday, Dec. 23.

Here is Greg's report on his daily work, and pics found in an old camera.

"Thought I might start my Christmas shopping tonight, but blasted and primed that Matheson cylinder instead.

Also enclosed I'm forwarding some pics sent by my buddy Temple in Idaho. The film was just discovered in an old Instamatic that I had sent to him. My mom gave me that little camera on the day that me and Ron took off on our big adventure.

"Greg, the model t is the one I built out of parts from your garage in 1975 or 6. The Olds is a 1905 like yours. The model a chassis is a touring car with an Offy motor I built. A two cylinder Buick and a ride on the freeway in a Mercer I just finished. Jim just found his camera and developed the film this week. The dog is the one we brought up to Idaho with us and died at 22. Note the parts car behind the model t. Temple"

post-48480-143138382387_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138382391_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138382394_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138382397_thumb.jpg

post-48480-1431383824_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138382403_thumb.jpg

It is Friday, Dec. 23rd. Hope everyone is ready for Christmas! Wishing you all the very best this holiday season.

The site Greg is looking at is Image galleries | Shorpy Historic Photo Archive It has over 600 pages of photos. Neat stuff.

Also, you will see the number of $3,500 in the Greg to Paxton correspondence. Just think what that would buy you in 1969. I think that I had just bought a 1963 Plymouth Sports Fury convertible for $1,200 on my way to Ft. Knox from Seattle for my Armor training as a very young 2nd LT. That $3,500 was big money.

From Greg: "I Haven't gotten anything done tonight. Been sitting on my can, sucked in by the Shorpy.com, an internet picture site.

But meanwhile back at Paxton......

Sept, 3, 1969 closer to finding Avanti racing parts, but no cigar. But more clues that Paxton does have somthing in their back room.

post-48480-143138383408_thumb.jpg