Avanti R2, 1963, refresh

It is still Monday, but I have Greg's report from Sunday.

Today's project was another two rivets. Get the driver's side run fitted and catch up with yesterday's work on the passenger side.

Got the rivets drilled out and parts apart. Started fitting the new run and noticed that it's a blem. The fuzzy felt liner is pulled loose from the channel. I could probably find a way to glue it back in place, but since these things are going on a hundred dollars each....I'll try to send it back for replacement.

That means waiting until Tuesday to call the supplier, getting it boxed and a trip to the UPS store, and you guessed it waiting for the new on that's "In the mail". Another couple weeks shot.

Meanwhile I'll begin work on the window winder mechanisms . I guess the windows should open and close.

Enclosed pic of the door glass outer seals. New rubbers will be ordered Tuesday.

Happy Fourth of July.

post-48480-143138245874_thumb.jpg

Still Monday. And for some good news, a friend in Canada has connections with several parts distributors, and they were able to find the correct Prestolite alternator (they think). It has been ordered, and since I will see him in August I will pick it up then. In the interim I think I will borrow Greg's spare alternator to get me back on the road. Or maybe I will just see if I can modify the Honda alternator before I give up.

Had a great time at the AACA car show in Louisville, KY. There were several Studebakers there to include two nice R1 Avantis. One (white) was completely restored, and the other (gray) was an original with a 20 year old repaint that look brand new. Here are the pics I took. And I did meet with both owners and had nice conversations. We had a great time.

BUT, I was beat out for an award by a 1923 big six touring car. It was beautiful, and huge. What a great car. (UPDATE: Was just notified that we received a Second Junior Award for the 23 McLaughlin Buick. Quite an honor considering the level of cars that attended.)

post-48480-143138245879_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138245895_thumb.jpg

post-48480-14313824591_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138245925_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138245939_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138245953_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138245967_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138245982_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138245996_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138246011_thumb.jpg

Edited by unimogjohn
notified that we received award (see edit history)

It is Monday, PM now. It was a hot one today, over 100 and high humidity. We are getting a new HVAC system put in today so we spent the day watching the workers work. They got the old system out and the new system in to the point of making the AC operational. A good day for sure.

I am heading to Greg's house tomorrow to pick up his spare alternator. Hope to have it in tomorrow too.

And Greg continues to press on. Here is his report. I am including a pic of his Stoddard Dayton that he references.

"The window winding mechanisms have been undisturbed in the doors until this weekend. The fact that I couldn't raise or lower the windows even with help was a clue that they needed major restoration. I recall rebuilding the door for one of my cars because the stiff operation had shattered the fiberglass panel.

The parts were blast cleaned, epoxy primed and since the rear license plate bracket still needed painting, I shot everything with urethane. Drying now.

The connecting link on each regulator had once been reinforced after the rivets had been removed and stovebolts were substituted. I'll machine new rivets for the reassembly.

A call to the supplier of the window runs led me to realize that the defective lining would remain in my court. Best to just repair the thing instead of trying to have the run exchanged. Their installation will continue after tomorrow's call to obtain the tubular rivets required to attach the vent window weather seals have arrived. That rivetting job best done while the runs are manageable.

It's been suggested to me by a friend that I just be more patient with these delays. My physician has suggested that this project is the reason he's prescribing another BP medication. The Stoddard-Dayton project, which began as just a pile of rust swept into a pile, was so much less frustrating."

post-48480-143138246692_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138246706_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138246722_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138246726_thumb.jpg

post-48480-14313824673_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138246734_thumb.jpg

John,

It was great meeting you two in Louisville. I really love your 23 Buick. While I am still not ready to go out an buy an Avanti, I decided that I finally needed to get around to reading this discussion. You have done an excellent job on the car and your documentation of the process. It is a very interesting discussion. I am sure that it will help many others as they restore similar cars.

Hi John- thanks for the good close ups of the R-1 Avanti It is nice to see the goal I shooting for on my car!

I got the chrome back Saturday, came out great. I have most of the bolt-ons done now but I have to get back in my friend's shop to clean and paint the block and see what else the engine bay needs.

- Bill

Matt, thanks for coming over to meet. I am sure that we will see each other again soon. Your car was great!

Bill, both Avantis were perfect and looked really good. Nice that both of them had AC in them too as it was hot. It is interesting, not everyone knew of Avanti. Lots of folks thought they were some fancy European car until they saw the Studebaker emblem, and then they could not believe how advanced looking they are. A car before its time.

It is Wednesday, July 7th. Speaking of hot, it was 103 degrees here yesterday. At one point the outside temp reading on the VW Passat said 108. Wow! And today is suppose to be another hot one. Our new HVAC is keeping the house cool too, yahoo!

But, we did manage to go over and see Greg and pick up his spare Avanti alternator. I have a few parts from my old one (pulley and fan) to move over, but I hope to have it on today. Here is a pic of what is going to be installed. It was rebuilt in 2004.

Also for you Unimog fans, a friend dropped off his 416 cargo truck for me to use while he is on a trip for several months. It is much bigger than the 404, diesel instead of gas, and a higher weight capacity. A beast of a truck, but still no bigger than a Chev 4 door pickup. Here is a pic.

Greg continues to move along and got a few more parts finished and installed. Here is his report.

"Made those shoulder rivets I was telling you about. And installed them.

The window regulator assemblies are lubed and ready for the day to install them.

Also managed to get the license plate bracket installed.

Missed getting more parts ordered by ten minutes."

post-48480-143138247074_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138247088_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138247103_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138247107_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138247111_thumb.jpg

Edited by unimogjohn (see edit history)

It is Thursday morning, really early, like 4 AM. Cats are walking across my head, oh well, might as well get up. Good thing I did, I bid on two correct Avanti mirrors, and won them with a "make me an offer". He wanted $50 for two, and I said $45 for fun. He accepted the offer, and now they are on the way. I have a Hawk mirror on the car now.

It was just too hot to put on the Avanti alternator yesterday, and will be today also. I spent most of the day hiding from the sun, it was 103 degrees at 6 PM last night. I spent the day watering the animals and making sure all their fans were on. They are not liking this hot weather. Even the ducks were panting, and they were drinking more water than splashing around in it.

Friends are leaving the area so they had a bunch of stuff they wanted to sell so picked up a nearly new Club Cadet garden tractor, snow blade, chains, and a cart. But the big find was a new engine crane, now that is going to come in handy.

Well, Greg continues to be busy. He wrote me that he must have the window winding/regulator assembly put together wrong. They do not work in the door. If anyone has a pic of one he would appreciate it.

Here is his report from last night.

"Well, all in all it hasn't been a bad day. A surprise first thing was the eighteen wheeler with seven thousand pounds of airworthy spruce to be unloaded board by board.

Got the rivets and stuff ordered for the vent window seal project.

Friend Bill called to say the Stearman (airplane) was running and had spent an hour over the airport with its newly overhauled engine, doing fine.

UPS arrived with the Avanti R2 cam done by the boys at Delta. They also enclosed the assemby lube and oil additive of their choice.

Tonight I started the installation of the inner door parts. The tracks went back fine. Then I tried the driver's door window regulator. For a long time. I just couldn't find the right combination. Then I began doubting my reassembly of the reassemblies. I've sent out a couple requests to see if anyone has a regulator out of their door that they might photograph for me.

With that on hold, I began the conservation of the driver's door window. The steel frame is very rusty, so I taped everything else up and bead blasted and primed.

Friend Dave called and in the course of the conversation mentioned that he had no idea that the doors/windows would require so much effort. A major project for "Haven't you got the windows in yet?".

No, I haven't . And with so much more to do, I remind myself of my motto: "If it's new enough to have front doors (let alone windows), it's just a used car.""

post-48480-143138247842_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138247846_thumb.jpg

post-48480-14313824785_thumb.jpg

John, you realize that Greg's "just a used car" comment can ruffle some feathers. He cuts it off at no front doors, which is pretty early, but he's a brass car guy through and through. A lot of people thing WW2 is that cutoff. And a lot of people of course don't buy any of that, and become agitated with the statement when used to refer to some of the 25 year old "antique" cars.

After following the exploits of you two guys on the Avanti restorations, and as entertaining as it might be, I am now sure more than ever that if I ever bought an Avanti, the only thing it would need in the way of work would be a spare set of keys made!

Best- dc

It is Friday, July 9th, and the weather is a bit cooler this morning so put in the borrowed alternator. Got everything all connected, installed the battery cable, and hit the starter. She immediately roared to life. BUT, the amp gauge still shows a discharge. So shut off the motor, pulled the regulator, packed it, and off to the Post Office we went. So the regulator is off to Dave Tbow. He will get it on Monday, and I should have it back by Friday or Saturday.

On the Unimog front, a friend is leaving the area for a few months and decided to park his 416 diesel truck at the farm. Best thing is that I get to use it. It is a beast! Thank goodness it has power steering. It makes my Unimog 404 look like a compact truck.

I have included pics of the alternator, amp gauge, and Unimog 416.

Greg sent me a note this morning, and it sounds like he has figured out his window regulator assembly problems. Here is his report.

"OK, so today I spent studying the illustrations and still couldn't find Waldo. Looked the same to me. So after work I tried the window regulators again and they fell right into place.

All I can say is that for years I've suffered with bouts of rectal cranial inversion. Must have been one of my nights. Now to work on the other door window itself."

post-48480-143138248579_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138248594_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138248609_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138248624_thumb.jpg

It is Sunday, July 11th. Greg came over yesterday to drop off his two regulators since mine is off to Dave Tbow for an electronic infusion. He said again that the alternator had been rebuilt and never on a car. So after Greg left, put on the regulator, no difference, not charging. Looks like it is going to be a month before she gets back on the road.

Greg continues to work hard on his Avanti. Here is his report for Saturday. Do I sense a little frustration?

"Why do I bother. Like the rivets for the door vent window seal. Special fussy little semi-tubular rivets. Called the dealer and yes, request them from the parts department. That was the order I missed placing by ten minutes. Called first thing the next morning. Got them coming. Waited most of a week. They got here last evening.

Accompanying pic shows left to right:

* Sample rivet removed from vent

*What they sent

* What I just machined from a piece of stainess steel bar stock.

The vent window project can nowl resume. Could have been finished if I hadn't tried to take the easy way out and buy the rivets.

Also arriving last night was the replacement carpet. Began that installation by glueing the insulation to it, and also removed the handbrake assembly for rehab."

post-48480-143138249025_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138249029_thumb.jpg

It is Sunday, July 11th. Before I take out the alternator and regulator I decided to take a couple of readings with my electronic tester. So at the battery I get 12.48 volts. At the alternator, with engine running, I get 3.4 volts. At the regulator I get the same reading except for the last screw I get 0. I passed the numbers along to a mechanic friend in Canada to see what he thinks.

And a friend of Greg's took some video today of Greg and his projects to include the Avanti. Here is a link. At least now you know what Greg looks like.

It is Monday, July 12th, and early start for today. The HVAC guys are coming to finish up installation of our new system to include solar panels to run the heat pump. Should be interesting.

On the Avanti charging issue, my Canadian mechanic told me to by-pass the original primary wire, and run another large gauge wire from the alternator to the regulator to see if that wire has shorted out. So will do that today.

Greg had a busy Sunday, and here is his report.

"Today was busy.

Included a trip to Rob's Automobile Repository to lend a hand on his '09 REO. The rebuilt transmission is in place, new and tight. Pushed it outside to start and run it in a little. Reluctant to start, we eventuallly shove started it in his hilly yard and locked in gear, he all but disappeard out of sight. But it did free up enough to start on its own and shed numerous parts somewhere in his lawn.

Meanwhile back at the ranch, the vent window seals did get rivetted in place and Barb got a lesson in rivet bucking 101. I might have these vent assemblies done in a couple days. Woo hoo!"

post-48480-143138250076_thumb.jpg

It is Tuesday, July 13th. The roofers did not show up to install the solar panels, so the Lennox guys stood around for fours hours waiting. Sometimes I do not know why things are just too hard. Included is a close up of one of the four panels to be installed.

But Greg continues to press ahead. Here is his report for Monday PM.

"Today began with another rescue. Another Coopers Hawk loitering around in the yard. This one was younger and unlike the other one, had all of it's feathers. That first one was missing tail feathers.

Lethargic, it allowed me to pick it up without any struggle. Again the sherriff's dept sent someone to pick it up. A quick lookover, they said that it was probably the runt and they often are kicked out of the nest by the others. One less mouth to feed, more to go around. It did look malnurished. Hope it makes it.

Otherwise, I did more rivetting tonight. There's a bracket at the bottom of each run that allows adjustment of window frame fit. Next will come buffing of the chrome casting, then rivetting of the run to the casting.

Haven't touched the vent window itself as of yet."

post-48480-143138250314_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138250329_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138250333_thumb.jpg

It is Wednesday, July 14th. Dave Tbow called me last night and the regulator for my Avanti has been rebuilt with new electronic components. Going back in the mail today so I should get it on Friday.

Meanwhile, Greg continues his quest and is about ready to put the little vent windows back in the car. He is getting close. Here is his report.

"Tonight I fitted the runs to the frames, rivetted them in place, and also rivetted the little rubber stops to the upper inside of the castings.

Here's the trick to setting these pop rivets, since they bed deep inside the glass channels where the nose of the rivet gun won't reach. Slide a piece of steel tubing over the shanks.

With the runs now attached the rubbers were soaped and pried into place. I left that upper flat head screw out until last.

Both sides are to this point. Although the vents are patient, I just can't wait to get them installed."

post-48480-143138250919_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138250923_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138250928_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138250932_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138250936_thumb.jpg

It is Thursday, July 15th. On my Avanti front I am still working on the "not-charging" issue. Got a call from Dave Tbow that the new electronic regulator will be here on Saturday. It will take just a couple of minutes to put that in. At a forum members suggestion I have made up new wiring for the main power and the exciter on the chance that they might be broken/melted, etc. So did that and replaced them. No change. I will check the ground wire on the alternator today.

Won a couple of Avanti side mirrors on Ebay last week, and they arrived yesterday. One is perfect, the other is driver quality, but really both are pretty good. I took the best one and put it on. It replaced the Hawk mirror that was on the car. I took some chrome polish to the driver quality one, and it cleaned up pretty good. Have not decided if I will drill holes in the passenger side door and mount it. Greg told me that there are hard rubber screw inserts that do into the drilled holes to avoid cracking/stressing the fiberglass. I have to locate a couple of those before I start. Here are a couple of pics of the mirrors.

And of course, Greg continues with the vent windows. He is getting close to getting them back on the doors.

"The driver's side vent glass is in. Went fine. The passenger side, well, I've been an hour and fifteen minutes trying to get the pivot screw in. No reason for it not to go in. I've isolated the window and the frame, screw fits, tried various methods of alignment, but so far I haven't lost my temper, slipped with the tools to scratch the stainless, chrome or chip the glass. But I'm not done yet."

post-48480-143138251498_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138251513_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138251528_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138251542_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138251546_thumb.jpg

post-48480-14313825155_thumb.jpg

It is Thursday, July 16th. Hot, hot, hot! 100 degrees with the humidity about 90%. So hot it is hard to get motivated. The morning times goes to the animals with hay distribution, lots of water buckets to be cleaned and filled, and hosing off those that want it. Also have to make sure that all the fans are working (ten of them) so the llamas can crawl under them.

But I did manage a couple of things. On the Avanti, replaced the ground wire on the alternator, no change, still not charging.

To tell a short story about my 1928 Buick Town Brougham. I bought it in 1984 with a missing front bumper. It has taken me all these years to find the brackets, but I did have a redone bumper found about ten years ago. So yesterday, I managed to get the brackets installed and adjusted. And then a few hours later I was able to dig out the bumper and get it installed. Looks great and makes the car a lot longer. I do have to clean up the bumper so it looks a bit grungy in the pics.

Also looks like I have sold my Mercedes Benz Unimog 404. Just not using it much, but I will have to figure out how I am going to haul hay. Maybe a car towing/hauling hay pickup is in my future.

Greg continues to move forward. Got that pesky screw in for that vent window. Here is his report.

"Short story: got the screw in for the vent window.

Longer story: in the light of day and with a flashlight I was able to see that the first few threads were missing from the pivot screw hole. Had just enough time to make it to the hardware store to score a 1/4-28 helicoil kit and restore the threads. Then the screw installation was successful. Took both frames to store in the car in anticipation of the next skirmish. Vent and window installation.

Oh yeah, the quarter panels arrived today. Nice job. Notice that the pleats are not stitched but molded in like the original method.

Bonus photo: Bill pulls his Steaman engine through all cylinders before startup. This is done to make sure oil hasn't pooled in the bottom cylinders after standing idle. This to prevent bent connecting rods."

post-48480-14313825191_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138251925_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138251939_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138251944_thumb.jpg

It is Saturday, June 17th. No report from Greg yet, I am going to assume that he did not do any work last night as Friday is usually tango night. We all need some free time.

Got the electronic regulator yesterday from Dave Tbow. Will install it today. Also cleaned up the front bumper of the 1928 Buick. Looks pretty good. And we got the solar panels installed on the roof for our new HVAC unit. Generating 520 watts yesterday at 3PM.

Here are some pics.

post-48480-143138252537_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138252551_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138252566_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138252581_thumb.jpg

Ernie, I will check the amp gauge tonight when the sun goes down.

Still Saturday, farm chores done so headed to the Avanti garage to put in the electronic regulator. I have done this so many times now it is second nature. Started the car and got out the trusty meter. I am getting 12.3 volts at each of the regulator connections, 12.4 at the alternator main power, and 11.2 at the exciter push in terminal.

The amp gauge still shows a minor discharge, and when I turn on the lights and blower motor, it is even more. Here are some pics.

Guess I will just wait a couple of more weeks until I can pick up the new alternator in Canada. We are taking up the 1923 McLaughlin Buick for a week of touring. Will be back the second week of August. The Avanti will have to wait until then.

post-48480-143138252597_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138252611_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138252625_thumb.jpg

A question. A friend is going to have his Corvette soda blasted at his home garage, and has invited me to have the Avanti done at the same time. I am leaning to having this done. My metallic green (not original) is really beat up, and I know that the red under it is not much better.

At this point we think we will stay with the metallic green so we will not have to fool with the door jams, painting of the trunk, etc.

I do not have a timeline yet, or a cost. More to come.

So the question, is soda blasting the way to go on a fiberglass car?

It is Monday morning, July 19th. Yahoo! Success! Greg worked all weekend to finish the installation of the vent windows and the windows too. Now she is starting to look like an Avanti again. Greg sent no report, he let the pictures do the talking. So here they are.

post-48480-143138254891_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138254895_thumb.jpg

John,

For what its worth...not that there is anything wrong with green, but if you're going to go through all the trouble to have the car blasted you might want to reconsider not bringing it back to its original color. Yeah the door jambs, etc., will definitely be a bit more work, but in in the grand scheme of things you can't go wrong if you repaint the car the color it was when it rolled out the factory door...especially if that color was red.

I'd hate for you to do all the work then later on wish you had done a little more when you had the chance. Just my two-cents, no doubt that it will look great in green as well.

It is Wednesday, July 28th. We have been gone for a week. Greg has been busy with his Avanti. Here are his reports and pics.

Just another time consuming job that no one will ever see. Bead cleaned and painted the lamp shield for the console plate, cleaned and installed the plastic nameplate , and assembled them to the plate. Gave the knobs a quick buffing and put them back too.

Although I fitted the parts to the console, I didn't secure them. I'd bet that I will be disappointed in the appearance of the vinyl surroundings and will do something about it first.

Another detail chore to take care of. Stripped thread for the left door lower hinge. I fought with rusted and stuck Phillips (thanks Doc) screws that retain the windlace trim strip. Tried all manner of screwdrivers, power drill with proper tip, it laughed at the drillbit when I tried to remove the screw head. Even a cutoff wheel had a hard time.

But I persevered and with the trim out of the way, was able to use a hole saw to gain access to the backside of the hinge pocket. Note that it took two tries, the first hole was a blind alley.

I'll fabricate a threaded plate to back up the stripped threads, probably glued in place with JB Weld and then plug the holes and glass them over.

post-48480-143138263832_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138263836_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138263841_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138263845_thumb.jpg

Here are more Greg reports from the last week.

Today I made up that nut plate, just a piece of steel 3/16 x 1/2 x 1 1/2 , drilled and tapped for 3/8 fine. Stuck a stud in it, smeared some JB Weld on it, put it inside the door jamb. Nut and washer on the outside and let it dry. Pic of the finished product with the proper recessed bolt through the hinge.

While I'm finishing the hinges, I notice that the passenger's door is really sloppy. Looks like the hinges have worn pins and/or holes. I tried to check the hinge operation when I cleaned and painted them, but it wasn't until the weight of the door (Avanti had the longest doors in the industry at the time) that the wear is apparent. Might have to remove that door to get the hinges out for repair. I guess now's the time.

The new windlace (vinyl beading) came in today's mail. That's the trim for the door jambs.

The fawn and elk for the rear quarter panels, black for the front. This means it is time to remove the steel trim that reinforces the front windlace. Painted black, it covers the vinyl and in turn is covered by the front kick panel carpeting.

After grinding slots in the retaining screws with a cutoff wheel, I was able to loosen the screws with a straight slot screwdriver.

The picture is proof that this car is the only Avanti to have had wet carpets. Not that they are prone to leak, but I'd venture to say that an Avanti parked in the Sahara Desert would not only have an oil puddle under it, but also fogged windows from wet carpets.

I'll most likely save these trims, the visible part will be ok and the rest gets hidden. After they are bead cleaned I'll certainly use epoxy primer under the paint.

post-48480-14313826385_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138263855_thumb.jpg

And a final Greg report. All caught up.

Been doing piddly little things. Like stripping and repainting the console ash tray.

I've been meaning to call about progress on the optional camshaft but when I remember it is probably too late to call Nevada.

post-48480-143138263859_thumb.jpg

It is Thursday, July 29th. Here is Greg's report. He continues to press forward, bit by bit.

OK , so I bead cleaned the kick panel trim. Sort of. They have contact cement as well as rust. I'll have to scrape the cement away and bead blast again. They are like Swiss cheese. I could order more, but think I'll just save these.

Also today I happened on the old upholstery quarter panels. Hiding under the cover of daylight. I should have sent them to the trim shop when I ordered the new ones. They came without the bead windlace. I'm getting started tucking, folding, glueing and stapling; when they could have done it for me.

post-48480-143138264668_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138264672_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138264677_thumb.jpg

For everyone's edification, Greg has the patience of Jobe and the drive to get work done like.....well, like I've not seen in many people.

If Greg were in charge of the government, it might take a while to fix something, but it would be fixed once and fixed forever. I surely wish there were people running our country with the drive and determination to make things right such as he......or him.....or whatever works....once I was asked if I had good grammar, and said oh yes, she makes great biscuits....

It is Friday, July 30th. Sold the Unimog, getting picked up tomorrow. It will be a sad day for sure. Cannot believe that I have amassed a load of spare parts, which I never had to use. The truck has been rock solid for 12 years.

But Greg continues to press on with the interior while waiting for engine parts. Here is his short report.

"Tonight's project, attach the binding to the quarter panels. Panels are now ready for installation."

post-48480-143138265225_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138265229_thumb.jpg

It is Thursday, August 6th in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. We arrived on Wed PM after 14 hours on the road. What greeted us? A tremendous rain storm. And of course the car was open. We pulled into the hotel, and it came down in torrents. We were soaked by the time we got the car cover on, and the car was drenched. The next morning was spent bailing out all the water and drying everything off. I had the seats out of the car, so really nothing was harmed, and we had a great time touring around the countryside. And I did pick up the new Avanti alternator.

I also got a Greg report. It is braking news!

When during the Stoddard Dayton restoration I mentioned "I'd rather have the worst mechanical brakes than any hydraulics". Still holds true. Although the Avanti was known as the first American car to have standard power disc brakes, they're still hydraulic. Hate'm.

Trying to do the right thing for the car, going over the brake system. Ordered new stainless tubing pre-bent. Just install.

Looking into the matter tonight, I was cautioned to beware of the front crossover. It did require a little tweaking, but went in place ok. So did the short section for the left front. And the vertical line to the master.

Then there's two lines to get fluid to the rear. They sent me two, but I sure don't know what they fit. Skipping ahead, there's a long one for the right side of the rear axle. It needs to be altered, I might be able to twist it enough to get it to mate to the wheel cylinder. Or not.

And I'm short the line for the left side cylinder. I'll call Inline Tube tomorrow and see how it goes.

Pics of * the front crossover

*front crossover in place

*poor shot of tubes on floor illustrate the rear axle to right side (upper) as well as the two that run the length of the frame. Notice that each has a right angle toward outboard. Hillholder set you say, but they aren't bent like those either. Perhaps they were looking at the page for a Studebaker with floor mounted master??

At least I can secure the lines in the engine compartment before the engine will go in.

post-48480-143138271087_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138271091_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138271095_thumb.jpg

post-48480-1431382711_thumb.jpg

Still Thursday. A few weeks ago we put the Unimog on the market, and last weekend she was sold and driven all the way to CT. Sorry to see her go after all these years. But, about the same time we decided that we need to offer our cars more protection while towing. The Trailblazer is at its max capacity. She did a great job with the open trailer for many trips, but now is the time for an enclosed trailer. But first we need a larger tow vehicle. So we have been looking for a Chev Suburban, 3/4 ton. Nothing fancy, but with a truck motors, about 100K miles, and within our price range.

We looked around the local area, searched Craiglist, and finally turned to Ebay. Ebay is where we purchased the Trailblazer, and it has been a great truck for 100K miles. Well to make a long story short, we won a "no reserve" 2003 Suburban LT. Problem is that it is 1000 miles away. So I contacted the local AACA club, and the club president is going to take a look at the truck for me. It also happens that he is the owner of a restoration shop. If his inspection matches the Ebay write-up and pics, then a deal will be struck.

I plan on flying down to FL early in the morning, picking up the truck, and hitting the road for back home in VA by early afternoon. I will drive until the late evening and then sleep in the back seat of the truck and head out again. It will be a long drive, but I am sure that I will make several stops for cat naps and coffee. I will not push. If I figure it is not worth it, I will get a motel for the evening. Anyway it will be a quick trip. No sightseeing.

Here is a pic of the truck. Now the hunt is on for a trailer. I think I have the open trailer sold already as I think my neighbor with the Corvette wants it.

Here are a pic of the guys picking up the Unimog, and then one of the Suburban.

post-48480-143138271346_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138271347_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138271365_thumb.jpg

It is Sunday, August 8th. Just got home from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. We had a great tour and saw many museums, mills, farms, etc. The best for me was the Canada Transportation museum. They had hundreds of original cars all stacked to the ceiling in one of their many buildings. Here are a couple of pics. One of us too. The 1923 McLaughlin Buick was a big hit at every stop. In total we went about 1500 miles, and the trip each way was 600 miles, which we made in one day. A very long days drive. We probably drove the 23 MB about 15 miles total. Just too many modern cars and roads, so we trailer her from place to place and in most places we off loaded to folks could see her running.

And, most important, we picked up the Avanti alternator. Looks to be an exact replacement. And only more left in Canada, none in the US. Here are a couple of pics.

post-48480-143138273302_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138273317_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138273332_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138273346_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138273361_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138273375_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138273389_thumb.jpg

What an interesting way to store cars. I see thoy don't want any dust on them!

John,

You might want to look into Uship.com. I bought a minivan in Orlando a few years ago and was able to get it transported to Ohio for only $600.

At that kind of price, it's almost not worth the trouble to fly down and drive it home, especially if someone else has inspected it for you.

Brian, thank you. You are right, I will look into it.

It is Monday, a day for unpacking and putting away the 1923 McLaughlin Buick. But Greg continues to work hard on his Advanti. Here is his weekend report.

"How firms could supply computer generated tubing, exhaust and brake systems that fit. Now I know. They can't .

However, I must admit that a couple years ago I called D. Simmons while lying under the car. Told him that I was installing one of his stainless Avanti systems and hadn't cussed him even once. Too bad he doesn't do brake lines.

A call and a couple emails to the brake lines R us so far hasn't had any results. I have in the meantime been able to straighten some of the lines and rebend them properly. I'm surprised that the tubing is so agreeable . I may be able to save what is here, but one will have to be shortened. That will still leave me the one tube missing from the shipment.

Also, the passenger's door did'nt suit me. A wobbly hinge. Had a helper for the day, I put him to work helping remove the door so that I could inspect the bad hinge. I guess that one got by Quality Control. Saturday night I machined new bronze bushings and a new pin. Sunday Barbara was called into play, assisting to put that heavy door back on. I guess tomorrow her arm will be in a sling. Sorry.

post-48480-143138273544_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138273549_thumb.jpg

It is Monday, August 9th. It is ours! Well, almost. The dealer and inspector are negotiating a day and time to get it done this week. I have hope that I will fly this coming Monday to FL, pick up the Suburban, and drive her home.

Also while in Canada, our good friend Henry gave Alice an Avanti. A model that is. And it is green! Pictures are attached.

Finally, I have added pictures of our AACA and Canada trip. Also included the Paul Allen warbird museum in Everett, WA. They are all at Picasa Web Albums - John and Alice

post-48480-143138273986_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138274003_thumb.jpg

It is Wednesday, August 11th. Boy, it is hot and humid. Hottest day of the summer so far. You have to get your work done by mid morning or it just does not get done. At 11:30 AM it is 97 degrees, last night at midnight it was 87.

But I got to the Avanti this morning. I put on the pully and fan on the new alternator, took off the old alternator and put on the new. Checked all the connections and fired her up.

We are charging. She immediately showed a charge to about 30 amps and then dropped down to about 5 and then to 2. I have had the battery on a battery tender so I know that it is fully charged. Turned on the headlights and the fan, and she kicked up a bit. So everything is working now. Back on the road. Heading to a cruise-in on Friday too.

Here are a couple of pics.

post-48480-143138274542_thumb.jpg

post-48480-143138274556_thumb.jpg

post-48480-14313827457_thumb.jpg