Late Model Guys should be happy

1937hd45

After 57 years, yes FIFTY SEVEN the local Region has upped the CUT OFF date for their annual Meet. Gone is the Ridgefield meet of 1961-1995 and its 1942 and older cars. The meet is now in Redding Connecticut and the unmodified 1958 and older models are accepted. Sure was a great meet in the Golden Years of the Hobby 1950-1975. :(

Guest Bluesky636

In 1950, that 1942 car was just a used car.

Even if we go to 1961, that 1942 car was only 19 years old. Why is that any better or more special than a 1990 car is today?

My 1964 Galaxie is 46 years old. I guess you must consider that brand new.

Well, here we go again with the "antique car" discussion.

Yes, there are people out there who think that true "antique cars" are pre-World War II. This is based on personal feelings and not calendar years.

That is not to say that such a person can't like and enjoy later years, and respect those who, likewise, collect and enjoy the more "modern" cars.

Everyone is entitled to their own thought process, and can call a 1984 Gogomobile an "antique" if they so desire.

I am one of those who prefer earlier cars, yet half my collection is post-war.

There is enough nasty in the world as it is, let's give this one a rest.

Well, here we go again with the "antique car" discussion.

Yes, there are people out there who think that true "antique cars" are pre-World War II. This is based on personal feelings and not calendar years.

Hey, I ressemble that Remark. ;).

Although I do have a few of those" Used cars" in the back lot and do think they are worth preserving. I just do not have the time, or space to do it. :) Dandy Dave!

On the left at the very bottom of this page, there's a white box that allows one to change the appearance of the page. Choose from AACA Classic Black,

or AACA Modern Blue.

TG

Tom means to say that you can use the "blue" background with the newer merchandising logo, or the "black" background for the original Duryea logo! The best of both worlds! ;)

THANKS!!!!!!!!!! For a Late model guy you're all right and always have tolerance for Pre WWII history, I like that.[:)QUOTE=TG57Roadmaster;678040]On the left at the very bottom of this page, there's a white box that allows one to change the appearance of the page. Choose from AACA Classic Black,

or AACA Modern Blue.

TG

You're welcome, and I'm glad we have the choice. If you want to read a pretty good article I wrote for Cars & Parts on the 1909 New York Herald-Atlanta Journal Good Roads Tour, check out the January, 2009 issue.

Login

You might have to register (ugh) at the Amos Publishing site to access their C&P archive, but it starts on page 51.

TG

Guest Trunk Rack
.................Well, here we go again with the "antique car" discussion.

Yes, there are people out there who think that true "antique cars" are pre-World War II. This is based on personal feelings and not calendar years.. . . let's give this one a rest.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I couldn't agree more. Let's not even discuss this any more. Let's be honest and admit that our current policies in the old car clubs represent what most modern people want.

It is so simple! ALL used vehicles are "antiques" and "classics" ! You just wait 5, 10, 15, or 20 years to call them that !

Let me give an example of why it only makes younger people mad to keep worrying about these terms. Dont we eventually WANT all those chopped and channeled "1990's lo riders" in our clubs ? We can double, triple, or even quadruple our current membership if we just learn to be patient , shut up about the use of these terms, and be happy about the direction of our Club management.

Take, for examle, a pre-war - say 1941 Cadillac that our poster says "some people think" is a true "antique".

See how they could cause bad feelings and why we should STOP DISCUSSING IT ?

I mean - after all, that '41 Cadillac had a water-pump drven pressurized cooling system, a fully automatic (Hydramatic) four speed transmission, a "high speed" rear axle ratio that permitted 100 mph plus speeds, thermostat-controlled fresh air heating, full "factory air" refrigerated air conditioning, four wheel "internal expanding" brakes, power windows and seat (even power radio antenna!) independant coil front suspension, "drop-center" steel wheels, etc.

Now look at what "other folks" call "antique" cars - those built prior to the 1920's, many with no self-starter or even on-board electrical systems; they had carbide generators to make accetylene gas for their primitive lighting systems, two wheel "external contracting" brakes, many still had "T" head type motors, cork clutches, wood wheels with high-pressure tires, and other silly unimportant details only make modern folks angry if you bother them with.

So please let's enjoy our wonderful new attitudes, and stop being unfriendly. STOP re-hashing those old repudiated views. You are interferring with "progress".

Edited by Trunk Rack (see edit history)

Guest Bluesky636
You're right David, the post WWII guys won (Note NEW AACA Logo at the top of this Forum), I made the original post to note the date change. they can doo their happy dance, but I won't be joining. I'm happy with my memories of what used to be.

While announcing the date change may have been your intent, your disdain of "late model" enthusiasts is obvious. Even a comment like "For a Late model guy you're all right and always have tolerance for Pre WWII history, I like that." is a back handed compliment. You expect us to show you respect, but refuse to do the same for others with different tastes. I find that sad.

I'm done.

With all this stuff said, it reminds me of something my Grandpaw told me years ago. He was a dealer, and collector of fine antiques. And he used to tell me that a "true antique" had to be at least 100 years old. He died back in 1981, so I guess in his eyes, there were no real antique cars. :eek: I guess I will have to wait a few more years for my 1915 Buick to qualify. ;) Here's to you gramps, wherever you are. :D Dandy Dave!

Antique furniture and household items are a different story. The traditional is 100 years old. If you waited for cars to be recognized at 100 years old, there wouldn't be many still around. As far as household stuff and furniture, when I first started collecting in the 1990's, 50 years and older was considered collectible antiques, but not fine antiques yet. 1950's stuff was considered "kitschy", collectible, but not real antiques yet. Now I see 1970's and 1980's garage sale junk in antique stores listed as "genuine antiques".

As someone said, this continues to be a rehash. No one is going to change anyone's opinions so why continue this? This is the AACA site and we allow cars up to 1984 currently. Everyone is an equal member and there is no need to bash people for what they like or maybe can afford. I personally have never shown anything but a pre-war car in AACA and probably a few older tham the vast majority of members on this site. It does not mean that I should chase people away in the name of what I personally like. Let's give this one a rest. Aren't we all just car guys.

After 57 years, yes FIFTY SEVEN the local Region has upped the CUT OFF date for their annual Meet. Gone is the Ridgefield meet of 1961-1995 and its 1942 and older cars. The meet is now in Redding Connecticut and the unmodified 1958 and older models are accepted. Sure was a great meet in the Golden Years of the Hobby 1950-1975. :(

It sure looks like disdain for postwar cars to me. Some older people think that anything they might have purchased new, 1950-1984, will never be old or good enough to be called antiques. Very narrow view, and they miss enjoying many interesting cars built during that time. Nothing like a 1961 Imperial or 1976 Eldorado will ever be built again. Many people collect what they remember from their youth, and have no interest in cars built before or after that. I have no interest in pre-1930's cars. I take long road trips in my car and want air conditioning, heat, power windows, a nice stereo, all kinds of creature comforts. But it doesn't mean I can't appreciate a 1920 Packard if I see one at a show. On the other hand, the 1960's, 1970's or whatever postwar era cars will never be good enough to some of the old timers.

It sure looks like disdain for postwar cars to me. Some older people think that anything they might have purchased new, 1950-1984, will never be old or good enough to be called antiques. Very narrow view, and they miss enjoying many interesting cars built during that time. Nothing like a 1961 Imperial or 1976 Eldorado will ever be built again. Many people collect what they remember from their youth, and have no interest in cars built before or after that. I have no interest in pre-1930's cars. I take long road trips in my car and want air conditioning, heat, power windows, a nice stereo, all kinds of creature comforts. But it doesn't mean I can't appreciate a 1920 Packard if I see one at a show. On the other hand, the 1960's, 1970's or whatever postwar era cars will never be good enough to some of the old timers.

so true, it is all about what they liked, every person if different, yet the common thread holding us together is our love for mechanical transportation devices :)

You apparently only own one used car - a car from the 1960's.

Ouch, are we all not aware that ownership of an antique vehicle * is not required for membership in the AACA?

It's neither about who has more toys in the sandbox, nor whether they're made of brass or plastic.

Let's all please try to remember that.

TG

* 25 years or older

Edited by TG57Roadmaster (see edit history)

I have been going to car shows since the early 50's and have heard this discussion every year. My first antique car show was in 1952 and my 1925 Reo wasn't considered an antique and I couldn't participate. I also remember when a Model A Ford was on the cover of the AACA magazine and people were complaining then about the hobby going down the tubes for allowing them in. People haven't changed, it's a good thing that we all don't like the same car, there are nice varieties at car shows today.

Wading in with some trepidation here...

First, while primarilly a pre-war fan, I get the whole AACA 25 year and over rule, and still have some postwar cars on the short list (How's about a '57 Chevy Bel-Aire wagon in yellow or green, please??). I am familiar with this show and it is known as being a great draw for those pre-war cars, especially Full Classics and brass, that don't go to a lot of the other area shows. I think the cut off and the fact that modifieds are just not allowed is part of the draw for some. Attendees know what to expect. Maybe HD Bob is just upset that the flaver of the show may change. Personally, I have to say the move to a 50 year cut-off is ok with me - it won't change the flavor of the show IMO, and will hopefully open the door for some nice cars. I remember seeing a nice '48 Lincoln Continental there a couple years ago in the parking lot thinking maybe they should go to 1948. So for this show, the '58 cut off may be ideal.

A specialty type show is not necesarilly a bad thing. Certain events draw certain types of cars, and isn't that ok? I mean, most marques have specific shows, some events cater to the rodders and it is rare to see an antique at those events. I figure I have a better chance of finding that wagon at a 55-57 Chevy meet than at the next PAC meet.

So we don't take it too seriously here is some comedy. There was an annual show in this area that I think is no longer going on. Basically it was for "rat rods" or traditional type hot rods. Besides a cut off year, in their publicity they used to clearly indicate it was for certain types of rods only, and they reserve the right to refuse admission for any reason. In other words, if you showed up with a pro-built type car that was too slick, they would not let you in. Remember, it is their gathering and they did tell it up front...

I think it is ok for a show to have limits as long as they are communicated clearly, this way people can pick and choose, we are lucky in this area to lots of events to choose from. I do hope the folks who put the show in Redding (I believe it is actually joint effort between HCCA and AACA which may be part of the draw for the really older stuff) manage to keep some of what makes this a special meet while opening it up a bit for whatever reason they decided to do that. A tough balance but I am looking forward to this show, if you like the older stuff and live in the tri-state area it is worth checking it out.

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

Thanks Steve, nice to read the views of someone that has been to the meet and understands what stands to be lost. The meet means far more to me than I can ever expain in words. I keep thinking of the impression that meet made on me as a 10 year old in 1961, all those Brass Cars and REAL Classics, and owners that were happy to piont feature to a kid. The Road Agents meet you mentioned was a Traditional Hot Rod meet that was in a class by itself also. I'm on the wall about attending or not, like most meets you get to see a few more guys and their wives for the last time. Maybe it is best to just look at photos from past meets.

David Coco of Winchester Virginia is correct. Let's give this one a rest. I am 71 years old and I was there during the fights of the late 1960's, and they do not need repeating. At the time it was the people my father's age who wanted to cut it off at 1929 and thought a 1942 car was junk Detroit Iron. I fought the battle with others who didn't agree with them in those days; some would say I was among the leadership. Today, at my age, I still prefer the 1934-1948 cars for my own personal enjoyment, but I respect those who have their own personal reasons for enjoying a 1969 Cobra Jet or a 1978 Firebird, and yes a 1967 Rambler American too. Let's live and let live. The important thing is for this Club and this hobby to survive past our time, and that will not be accomplished by trying to drive a wedge between those whose sentimental favorites derive from their youth or choose because of speed and power, or because of the mechanical invention of the brass car era. My own collection includes five vehicles just before WWII, then a 1971 and a 1981, each for it's own niche.

Edited by Dynaflash8 (see edit history)

On the left at the very bottom of this page, there's a white box that allows one to change the appearance of the page. Choose from AACA Classic Black,

or AACA Modern Blue.

TG

Thank you for pointing that out to me! The new logo was really getting to me.