Fix or Sell?

page2171

Kind of stuck here. I've got a 62 Electra that needs rust repair done. The trunk is pretty rusty especially the body mounts behind the rear wheels. I've gotten an estimate to get the whole trunk area fixed. The problem is that I don't know how much money I want to spend on the car. The car is not particularly desirable or valuable (it is a 4 door sedan with virtually no options), but it has some sentimental value because it was the car I drove when I proposed to my wife and we drove the car for our wedding. However, I am an active duty Marine, so with the frequent moves it is hard to hang on to things just for sentimental reasons. Because of that the car was in storage for over half the time I have been in the Marines. So, do I spend the money to fix it and then continue down the road of restoration or do I sell it before I start down that road?

Don't sell it, don't restore it. Enjoy it as is with money into it only to make it safe. A car like yours gives back just as many smiles as one restored.

Brian,

First let me thank you for your service to our country!

You are not alone in your dilemma. We all have different perspectives on what is most important and it is a personal choice. In my case the problem was (is) always that I do not have excess cash I could afford to spend on a project just for sentimental reasons as much as I would like to. Reality always seemed to win. I would rather spend the money on making new memories and forging into new territory.

I personally have a hard time investing money and "time" when I know up front I will lose it. You could use the money you would spend on the car and do something with your wife that will create new memories.

I say that being a car nut for 33 years and I know this rationale won't get much praise here but its a different perspective I wanted to offer. I am a sentimental person and do love to have old things around from my or my parents childhoods but none of which are a black hole for money. :o

If keeping and restoring the 62 will make you and the wife very happy and you just can't part with it, then by all means go for it. It will be money well spent. Restoration always costs more, takes longer and is more frustrating that you think so plan it all out before you start so you don't get part way into and want to stop. It might help if you make a list to try and estimate how much money you would need to invest total to get it to the condition you want as well as how long you think it would take.

Good Luck

Edited by JZRIV
spelling (see edit history)

Thanks guys! I guess I worded my original post poorly. I don't intend to restore the car anytime in the near future. If I decide to fix the rust in the trunk area then I will continue to fix things to make it a decent driver. The next step would be to work on the suspension since it is all original and can induce seasickness on the road.

My wife would like for me to get it roadworthy so we can go cruising in it again. With some seat belts in the back we could go to some car shows in it. My wife is OK either way, but would like it if I could get it to a point where we can make more memories in it.

Some very good advice here, especially BJM's advice.

I'll add a little more, as the owner of a '62 Electra 4-dr. It sounds like a set of shock absorbers would do wonders for the way the car rides & handles. You can buy and install them a pair at a time. Bad shocks really can become a safety issue if they don't keep the tire on the road all of the time.

I have a friend in our chapter of the Buick Club who has a 1962 LeSabre 4-dr. sedan--not a particularly valuable nor unusual car--but he drives it to work just about every day. He has had the car for 20 years that I know of. It has trunk rust, window channel rust, fender rust, and ill-fitting Pep Boys seat covers, but he has been driving it and enjoying it this way for many years. He keeps it safe and up to snuff mechanically, and just uses it for unusual, comfortable, dependable transportation. And I'm sure it gets him just as much attention, satisfaction, and comments at work or at the local gas station, as any of his other more valuable Buicks.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Sherman, Texas

1948 model 71

1949 model 59

1950 model 76-R

1962 Electra 225 4dr ht.

1963 Wildcat conv. 4-spd.

Brian,

Perhaps I can add a bit or perspective in regard to the stress of our current world situation. My military experience now back about 50 years still sticks in my mind. I assume posts still have the auto hobby shops, and I remember working in the shops side by side with senior SAC and fighter pilots with some interesting old cars while as an enlisted airman was working to keep by '40 Ford running. I remember they often expressed how it was a bit of a relief for them working on the cars and sharing thoughts and ideas.

Also, thank you so much for all you and others are doing to protect this country. The "cold war" was the cold war, with different problems, but nothing like today's situation when we cannot always tell who are the enemy.

John

Guest Dan Cook

Brian, I know how hard it is to hang on to a car while in the service especially the Marines or the Navy with the long deployments. I was in the Navy for over 20 years.

As BJM said, keep it and drive it. Only put in the money to keep it safe. Most Electras, and I have one, aren't expensive and if you and your wife really like that particular car, why not keep an eye out for one like it but in better condition to drive and enjoy after your enlistment or retirement.

Think of it as an adopted twin. It would most likely be cheaper than rust repairs.

Dan

Brian,

Hang onto it if you can. I had my 70 Electra with me everywhere in 20 years of Navy service, and kept it under a car cover or in the garage when we actually had one. As a 2nd car we drove it pretty regularly and just kept up safety and maintenance issues while retarding and holding back the rust enough to make it through. My trunk was almost non-existent. I had it patched for many years until I was able to get a new floor put in.

Also- there are a few of us "nuts" who prefer sedans to coupes. You'll see why when the kids start coming and you don't have to pull the front seat up to get them in there!

Godspeed, and "Semper Fi!"

If you are looking to buy a car, I woould say buy the best one you can afford. It is almost always cheaper in the long run than buying the cheaper one and fixing it up.

However, you already own the car. If you were to buy another one, say you manage to find one for $4000.00, you will have to pay $4000.00. That is a lot of repairs that could be done to the one you already have. Plus I have never bought a car that I have not had to put $1000.00 or $2000.00 into the first year of owning it. Cars for sale almost always have some sort of neglected repair or maintenance, or develop problems once you start driving a car that hasn't been driven much recently. Unless the one you have is a basket case, I would say fix it. Plus this one has sentimental value. A replacement in better shape won't be the same.

I really appreciate the advice everyone. That is why I love this forum, such a wealth of knowledge and experience.

My initial thought was to sell the car and buy another at a later date. The problem with that is that I know what is wrong with this car, and for the most part it is in decent shape. So, I am leaning towards keeping it, doing the minimum to fix the trunk, replace the shocks (like Pete suggested), and put some seat belts in for the back seat (jaxops, I have three kids so I know all about the benefits of a sedan :D). Then, as money allows I will do what it takes to keep it on the road and keep it safe. I have a picture in my head of how I want the car someday, it is just a matter of not letting myself get too discouraged when it takes longer than I would like to get there.

Brian

You could always try "OVERHAULIN" Maybe Chip Foose would fix it for you...

Uhhh....no thanks. I appreciate Chip's talent, but can't imagine my Electra undergoing his style. Maybe if it wasn't my Electra...

Dave, I'll be in Appleton in two weeks...now if I see a Reatta I'll be wondering if it was you or not.

On Wed. he overhauled a 69 Grand sport. By the time he got done all but one of the badges were off. He also replaced so much of the car that it wasn't anything like what it was supposed to be.

I would like to see what he would do to a Reatta...

My Reatta would be a '89 Red/Tan with a Alero spoiler on it. There are about 5-6 Reattas in town...

Flag me down if you see me.

Hi all!

After talking with the shop a few times and consideration of all of the comments here I have decided to go ahead and fix my Electra. They will be patching the holes in the trunk and replacing the body mounts behind the rear wheels (that were pretty much gone). They are also giving me a small discount for being in the military. So, we were able to get the price down to what I could handle. In the end, I knew that if I sold it I would instantly regret it. Next after that will be some new shocks and some seat belts for the back seat so we can go to car shows in it as a family.

Thanks everyone for your comments and advice!

Brian

Congratulations on your decision...

I'm a newb to this car game.... so take this for what it's worth. Once you make this decision don't look back...don't let it eat you. Enjoy life and the little things that bring joy to you and your family.

I'm sure someone like you can appreciate more than some of us how fleeting life can be.

I'm not an American but nationality is void when respecting one that answers the call...respect to you and enjoy the car as you should without recall nor reservation.

Guest Buick Bonery

If you need a trunk, I have a 62 4 door hardtop with a very nice trunk which you can have for $100.

Mike

916/599-3934

• 5 weeks later...

Update:

I got word from the shop that the car should be done early next week, probably before I go back to work at noon on Wednesday. I'm getting excited to get it back. I wanted to get there and take some progress pics, but between my vacation in August and crazy days at work, it didn't happen. Maybe they took some progress pics that I can get. Anyway, when I get it back next week you can expect to see some before and after pics.

Dave, I had my eyes peeled watching for your Reatta while I was in Appleton, but didn't see you. I was only there for a few days and we were all over the area, up to Shawano to a neighbors cottage, down to Fond du Lac to see my sister's new apartment, to New London to visit family, etc.

Mike, I wish I had seen your post earlier because I think the that would have saved me a bit of money, but now that I know about you I will be contacting you for future repairs.

Brian,

You've gotten some great advice. One thing I would add that most non-mil people are not aware of: use the auto hobby shop on base or post where you are stationed to save some huge money!

If you don't know how to do some of the work, you can probably find Marine or sailor who is a skilled mechanic that would be willing to do basic repairs for a very affordable price at the auto hobby shop for you. If you have someone else do this, go to the shop and have them train you as they do the repair. Often, if you can tear down, clean and reassemble most weapons, you have the ability to learn your way around an engine compartment.

Some of the bases also have hobby shops with working paint booths you can rent for a day or a weekend. Get with a good painter to teach you how to shoot a good basic paint job. There is NOTHING like painting your own car, if you have the time and access to a booth.

Good luck!

Joe (Air Force)

Thanks Joe! I do make good use of the auto hobby shop here and I have a good number of friends who are mechanically inclined. I am fairly mechanically inclined myself, so between my friends and I we can take care of just about any mechanical issue at the auto hobby shop.

• 2 weeks later...
Update:

The car is fixed. The trunk is all repaired and is just waiting for me to pick it up from the shop. Will be going to pick it up tomorrow morning. Can't wait! :D

Can't wait to see pics of the work. BTW, your comment about not being able to wait tells me that you made a good decision when you sent it to be repaired. Good luck!

Sorry...no pics yet. But, we had a great time with the car today. We made use of the three seat belt that are now in the back seat and drove the Buick to church today. My youngest son was so excited...he had to take all of his friends out to see it. After church we took the long way home and did a little cruising on Coast Highway and decided to stop and get some lunch at one of our favorite little restaurants. After lunch we completed our little cruise, going along the beach and continued home.

Sorry...no pics yet. But, we had a great time with the car today. We made use of the three seat belt that are now in the back seat and drove the Buick to church today. My youngest son was so excited...he had to take all of his friends out to see it. After church we took the long way home and did a little cruising on Coast Highway and decided to stop and get some lunch at one of our favorite little restaurants. After lunch we completed our little cruise, going along the beach and continued home.

That is what it is all about...