Hotel room Crowne plaza

BUKE

Hi everyone. I have a room at the Crowne Plaza for the dates July 2 third and fourth. I already put them on my credit card and I can cancel but when I called to ask if I cancel will another BCA member be able to get them. Their answer was it will just be open to the public and that's all they could do. So what I am suggesting is that if any member wants this room I will just pay it and not cancel and you guys can find me when I'm there and pay me back after you get settled in any other suggestions are welcomed. Please remember I do have to cancel them by the time they ask. PS I am staying at the Doubletree Hotel.

Have a great Buick day

Frank

Hi gang,

Not to steal this thread, but being it is related to the BCA Natl's and directly with the Crown Plaza , I would like to pose the following question of couriousity.

I was finishing up the day at work yesterday evening when I received a call from the wife, stating that a "Karen" somebody or other from the Crown Plaza had just called her asking if we would be willing to switch our rooms for the National over to the Doubletree Hotel. Something about not enough rooms being booked at the Doubletree and the Buick club would stand to lose a substansual amount of money if the room block quota isn't met. I thought the Crown was supposed to be the host hotel with the overflow going to the Doubletree. Something smells fishy here and I'm just wondering if anyone else going and booked at the Crown Plaza has received a similar call and request.

By the way I had the wife call "Karen" back and tell her I declined to move out of the host hotel, as I booked the reservations on the first day offered last year while attending the Nat's in Flint. The whole purpose of booking that early was to guarantee being at the host hotel for the entire 2009 Meet. Any one else receive any calls like this??

Don,

It is complicated and some of us did receive a letter saying that the switch was made, without any regard or request to the person who made the reservation. So now, at least you are being asked. And no regard to age, physical condition or the loss of convenience. Just as you indicated, I doubt there are many who were willing to make the switch.

It sems the "overflow" situation was not fully resolved.

I think the BOD owes an explaination to the members that are effected, and perhaaps to all members. I was surprised the forum was quite on this issue until now, as the letters were sent out from Crowne Plaza on May 21.

I do not think it is "fishy", but more of a misunderstanding on the agreement between the two hotels and the BCA Committee. If it is question of a guarantee for a number of hotel rooms to each hotel, we better find out what financial obligation the BCA has before it costs the club some revenue. And attendees should be made aware of any obligation as they might be willing to switch rather then the BCA needing to pass any obligation cost to the members at some future point. For the moment I doubt many would be willing to shift for no reason other then to keep the hotels happy.

Just my opinion,

John

Hi. DK. It does sound fishy to me I think maybe because it's sold out and can get more money for their rooms from the general public is the only reason. I too booked a room early then found out that Doubletree was the overflow I have lots of points for free rooms that's why I went to the Doubletree. That's probably why I couldn't cancel and be sure another BCA club member would get the room.

Have a great BUICK day

Frank

jscheib is correct in his speculation. I was not directly involved, but I have talked to people involved. As I understand it, The BCA had two contracts, one with each hotel, for a guaranteed number of rooms. The BCA is on the hook for a substantial payment if the rooms are not booked. It was discovered a month ago that the Crowne Plaza was continuing to accept reservations after our contract obligatiion was fulfilled. According to the contract, the Crowne Plaza was supposed to recommend the Double Tree after our block of rooms was satisfied. A month ago, the Double Tree was no where near booked and the BCA would have been billed a large amount for the unbooked rooms. A decision was made to move people from the Crowne Plaza to the Double Tree. It was supposed to be date related, where the most recent reservations would be moved first, but I am not sure exactly how the ones were chosen at this point. Letters were to be sent out to everyone moved.

Please do not blame the BCA for this mess. In all the years I've been associated with the Nationals, this has never happened before. Contracts were in place to handle overflow situations. The Crowne Plaza was not doing what was agreed to. The Crowne Plaza has moved people back upon request, but everyone moving back to the Crowne Plaza might put the BCA at risk by not fullfilling the contract with the Double Tree.

The Doube Tree is across the street from the Crowne Plaza and there will be a shuttle bus running back and forth continuously during the meet.

The BCA Board just recently heard about this situation, and I am not speaking for the board, but did some investigation after a member called me. This was news to me, and Roy's explination above is about the same as I heard.

It does appear that the Crowne Plaza got greedy. With economic time being slow, they seemed to see a way of padding their pockets by booking rooms after their contract had been filled.

I don't have exact numbers, but if the contract is not met at the Double Tree, the National Meet (clubs) that signed the contract will be hit with a charge for the rooms not filled. This situation is something the members and the local club did not need at this late date. With several complaints, it appears the convention people at the Crowne Plaza are working to satisy both the Double Tree contract and attempt to make BCA members happy.

I was told they had only move the late reservations, if we get more details, someone will post them here. It is unfortunate that this has happened.

I am copying a letter Bill Darrow sent to all the Board members so you all know what is going on ....

This was an issue created by the Crowne Plaza and they were required to resolve it. When the contract was signed they would agree only to block a maximum of 900 room nights. After the 900 room block was filled, they were to refer the overflow to the Double Tree.

Frank, just recently learned that they had kept taking reservations (probably padding their income due to slow times), and were up to almost 1600 room nights, and the Double Tree was at 100 room nights, which would have resulted in a very substantial penalty at the Double Tree, as we were required to fill at least 80% of our room block there. This translates to around $65,400 (600 X $109) in lost revenue at the Double Tree.

This would have resulted having the BCA on the hook for thousands of dollars, similar to what occurred in Las Vegas a few years ago, where the BCA ended up paying off the hotel.

They have now moved more than 600 room nights to the Double Tree, which resolves this issue and limits our liability at the Double Tree.

We have made some exceptions for those with medical issues, and these can be resolved through Karen Ayres or Megan Butler, not the Hotel Manager.

We have worked from the back of the list, so that made their reservations lately, are the ones that got moved. Price you pay for not doing this earlier.

Not sure why someone would make reservations in Denver and drive 80 miles to Colorado Springs. I must be missing some logic.

Bill Darrow

Guys,

Thanks for your responses and explanations regarding this issue. Somewhere, someone, (BOD?) should have told the general membership of the contract obligations/requirements between the two hotels. Maybe this imbalance that existed could have been avoided if members new we had an obligation to fill whatever number of room nights with BOTH hotels. It does however make perfectly good sense, that those who made their reservations late in the scheme of things should be the first ones requested/required to make the move to balance things out. I was not even aware that letters were sent out back in May with this request. As I stated, it just seemed "fishy" to me that any hotel would wait until 2-2 1/2 weeks before the meet to start making adjustments, and then to ask those that made their reservations almost a year in advance (during last years Flint meet) to move, per say at the last minute. It came as a major surprise and caught me totally off-guard when my wife called at the office with the hotels inquiry. Especially when it was already early evening here in the Chicago area(about 6:30- 7 pm). I am glad however to hear the problem has been resolved. Looking forward to seeing everyone in the Springs.

Have a safe trip.

If you are not involved with a National Meet, it is hard to imagine all the small (and large) details that are involved.

Please be patient with the sponsoring club as they are doing their best to bring you another great meet.

If you are going to Colorado Springs, we have plenty of parking space and the show-field is just a few steps from the side entrance. There will be a hospitality room with goodies (this is often a problem at hotels)

Looking back at this, I think we all can learn something. Perhaps the situation could have been minimized with more frequent communication between the hotels and the BCA. By the time we found out they had so many rooms over booked it was too late to do anything but start moving people around. I bet this will result in closer monitoring for future meets. That's a good thing. Also, this forum reaches a lot of BCA members and this probably should have been discussed sooner. I'm one to blame for this because I knew about it sooner than most and didn't post anything. I guess I was hoping it wouldn't grow as large as it did. I apologize for that. Live and learn.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Stoneberg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am copying a letter Bill Darrow sent to all the Board members so you all know what is going on ....

This was an issue created by the Crowne Plaza and they were required to resolve it. When the contract was signed they would agree only to block a maximum of 900 room nights. After the 900 room block was filled, they were to refer the overflow to the Double Tree.

Frank, just recently learned that they had kept taking reservations (probably padding their income due to slow times), and were up to almost 1600 room nights, and the Double Tree was at 100 room nights, which would have resulted in a very substantial penalty at the Double Tree, as we were required to fill at least 80% of our room block there. This translates to around $65,400 (600 X $109) in lost revenue at the Double Tree.

This would have resulted having the BCA on the hook for thousands of dollars, similar to what occurred in Las Vegas a few years ago, where the BCA ended up paying off the hotel.

They have now moved more than 600 room nights to the Double Tree, which resolves this issue and limits our liability at the Double Tree.

We have made some exceptions for those with medical issues, and these can be resolved through Karen Ayres or Megan Butler, not the Hotel Manager.

We have worked from the back of the list, so that made their reservations lately, are the ones that got moved. Price you pay for not doing this earlier.

Not sure why someone would make reservations in Denver and drive 80 miles to Colorado Springs. I must be missing some logic.

Bill Darrow </div></div>

I'll add some food for thought here. As stated above, the Crowne was to "block" a maximum of 900 room nights. From what I know about these type of negotiations, that just means the Crowne will prevent the 900 room nights from being booked by those not stating they are attending the BCA event. So, if another event comes into town, they are free to sell the rest of the hotel, but they will have 900 room nights for the BCA. That also means that after 900 room nights are booked, the Crowne can tell people people they are fully booked at the discounted rate, and may book the room at whatever the prevailing rate is at that time. If they are still booking the discounted rate, that is at their discretion and can stop at any time. Somebody may feel they are doing the club a service by honoring the discounted rate even though they are not obligated to do so. If a contract had not been signed with the DoubleTree, this would be a huge win for those booking after the 900th room night as they are seeing the discount. Maybe the Crowne is just beeing greedy and filling their rooms. That is something to be determined by talking to them in person.

As far as the second half of this deal, the referring customers to the DoubleTree, this is where things can get a bit muddy. What does the contract explicitly state? Is there a specific statement that Crowne is to make to all booking calls? Such as "All the blocked rooms have been filled at this hotel, and the BCA respectfully requests that you make your reservation at the DoubleTree". Depending on what is in writing will determine actions taken here. What was actually said to people booking rooms? Were they encouraged to book at the DoubleTree? Did Crowne fulfill what was in writing? If it's not in writing in that contract, then this becomes a mess real fast.

What happens when the Crowne refers all bookings over 900 room nights to the DoubleTree, and the DoubleTree books the 600 room nights? Is the DoubleTree required to refer customers back to Crowne? With 1600 room nights booked apready, look at the numbers. If the Crowne books 900, and the DoubleTree books 600, there are 100 room nights that are in excess. What hotel is to get these bookings? Do they go to the Crowne, or the DoubleTree, or are they up for grabs by either hotel?

Did anyone ever schedule a meeting with both hotel agents in the same room to work out these arrangements? It sounds like there was a general misunderstanding of how all this will work. This is definitely a lesson learned in how to handle future bookings.

As I said, not trying to rock the boat....just adding food for thought. Hopefully in the future this lesson learned has helped any hosting club avoid this same situation.

Guest William_Darrow

For anyone involved in negotiating hotel contracts for a BCA National, it always a difficult process.

In Colorado Springs the Crowne Plaza is used for many miltary events, thus has a busy schedule and therefore have have a number events scheduled at the same time.

When we started this process, the Crowne Plaza would only agree to a maximum number of rooms to be blocked, which resulted in 900 room nights, this number allows for covering the costs for the meeting rooms, banquet room, etc.

The agreement was that once this block was full, that they were to refer the overflow to the Double Tree, which had an equal number of rooms blocked, and which is going to have the Judges Breakfast on Saturday morning, as part of their contract.

It if very unfortunate that there was no communication between the Crowne Plaza and the 2009 Meet Chairman, and this issue was only discovered by a comment that came back to him from someone attempting to make a reservation. The Crowne Plaza has been very easy to work with, so we were a little surprised when this occurred.

Both Hotels are excellent, and the Double Tree probably would have been our first choice, but the large parking lot just up the road was not available for this weekend.

There will be a shuttle between the two hotels, which I believe is scheduled to run every 15 minutes from the information I have received.

I am sure everyone will have a good time in Colorado Springs with all the attractions.

BCA, it is time to come together now over the beauty of the Buicks. That is what binds us all together to begin with. Let's make this meet the best that the BCA has ever had! When Karen asked me to move I said "YES" even though I had almost a one year reservation at the host hotel, because it seems to me we are a winner whether we stay at the Crowne Plaza or the Double Tree!!! (Three exclamation points-one for LeSabre, one for Invicta, and one for Electra) I guarantee the 59 Buick Division is ready to show you at least 34 59 Buicks from all over the nation in every body style and in every color. Further, you will not be able to escape me singing at the top of my lungs in either Hotel Lobby the song "Buick 59" by the Medallions. We will sing it in rounds together if you are lucky enough to get on my shuttle! In fact I believe I'll start singing it now and will not quit until I reach the Springs. "Would you like to ride in my Buick 59? It's got a 8 cylinder motor and a jet propelled over-drive!" Can you hear me all the way from Texarkana?... Can you hear me now? Everybody together now-sing! Charles D. Barnette

Frankly I am impressed with the willingness shown here to

change hotels if that keeps the host chapter from loosing money.

This is about our cars and friendships, both old and new.

The host chapter has a lot on their plate and does not need

the distraction that a few might cause over this hotel deal.

See you in Colorado Springs and we will have a good time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Charles D. Barnette</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BCA, it is time to come together now over the beauty of the Buicks. That is what binds us all together to begin with. Let's make this meet the best that the BCA has ever had! When Karen asked me to move I said "YES" even though I had almost a one year reservation at the host hotel, because it seems to me we are a winner whether we stay at the Crowne Plaza or the Double Tree!!! (Three exclamation points-one for LeSabre, one for Invicta, and one for Electra) I guarantee the 59 Buick Division is ready to show you at least 34 59 Buicks from all over the nation in every body style and in every color. Further, you will not be able to escape me singing at the top of my lungs in either Hotel Lobby the song "Buick 59" by the Medallions. We will sing it in rounds together if you are lucky enough to get on my shuttle! In fact I believe I'll start singing it now and will not quit until I reach the Springs. "Would you like to ride in my Buick 59? It's got a 8 cylinder motor and a jet propelled over-drive!" Can you hear me all the way from Texarkana?... Can you hear me now? Everybody together now-sing! Charles D. Barnette </div></div>

Ok, here it is, start singing with Charles, RIGHT NOW!

Click here and turn your speakers on!

Hi guys and girls. Well the best thing I can do is cancel those rooms. Thanks for clearing it all up and I'm looking forward to a great show how could it not be it's all Buicks. Thanks Roberta for the great music. See at the form breakfast.

Have a great Buick day

Frank

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: serb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Breakfast????

Oh, I will not be there.

Stevo </div></div>

Oh yes, you will in spirit, we can always call you, or if I am really ambitious, I suppose I could set up a web cam conference where you could almost be there, Duh!

Guest imported_Thriller

Ambition? Bah! You'll be on vacation wink.gif

I do have to make a stop this weekend to get a taste of Manitoba for the gift exchange....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Oh yes, you will in spirit, we can always call you, or if I am really ambitious, I suppose I could set up a web cam conference where you could almost be there, Duh</div></div>

Does this mean I have to get a camera and figure out what to do with the wires and how to plug it in and all of that stuff?

stevo