Buicks at Chickasha, Oklahoma Swap meet

Pete Phillips

I just returned home from a very long but enjoyable day at the annual Chickasha, Oklahoma Pre-War Swap Meet. Saw a few nice Buicks, LOTS of Buick parts here and there if you looked carefully, and quite a few Buick Club folks in attendance. Look for an illustrated article on this in the Bugle in the future.

All makes and models are at this swap meet--how about an unrestored, unmolested, totally original 1925 Velie--when did you last see one of those? Sorry to stray off-topic, but the car was incredible.

Enjoy the photos. 1921 Buick 6-cylinder touring; 1919 4-cylinder touring.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Sherman, Texas

post-33059-143138054144_thumb.jpg

post-33059-143138054161_thumb.jpg

I can't resist...here's the 1925 Velie. They were made in Illinois, Moline, I think.

Not one dent, not one ding, not one bit of rust-through, and totally unrestored. An 84-year-old car in unbelievable condition. Even the radiator looks to be in perfect shape.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Sherman, Texas

post-33059-143138054218_thumb.jpg

post-33059-143138054234_thumb.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete Phillips</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also, a mostly unrestored, 1911 model 32. </div></div>

This is beautiful, not a huge fan of veteran but I could really see myself in this.

Was it for sale or just on show Pete, how many $'s.

Great photos, thanks for posting them

Pete, John Deere's Daughter was married to a Velie. The John Deere plant is also in Moline Ill. I worked on several Velie autos for a friend a number of years ago. They were powered by a 6 cylinder Continental. wink.gif Dandy Dave!

Pete, I recently saw a 1923 4 cyl. Buick that had a wood firewall. I couldn't figure out why someone would replace a metal one with wood. The 1919 you posted has the same wood firewall! I wonder why Buick used a wood firewall on such a late car? Strange???

Stuart,

The 1911 did not appear to be for sale--no sign on it, and the owner glanced at me but seemed much too preoccupied with other things to chit-chat.

Bubba,

The 4-cylinder cars seem to be Buick's "step child" after the 6-cylinders became more popular. For example, in 1924, the 4-cylinder still has the painted radiator shell while the 6-cylinder cars have the plated shell; the dash gauges are the older design, etc. You have sharp eyes to notice that wooden cowl--I had not noticed.

Pete

That Velie is neat for what it is (unmolested and in such nice shape) but appears to me to be an "assembled" car as it has pretty boxy lines and the Continental was the engine of choice for companies not able to engineer their own drivetrains. Assembled cars had many components sourced from aftermarket parts suppliers such as those headlight buckets, instruments, gas tanks and electronics for example.

Neat...but I'd rather have a Buick.

I love Veile's, do you remember the price ?

------------------------------------------

I believe it was about $19,000....a very stately sedan....I looked up the make when I got home and found out there is only 229 of these cars remaining in the 25+ years they were made!

I read the thread nice cars....The 1919 Buick I think is a 1915. It has the older style 4 cylinder. In 1919 Buick did not make a 4. They resumed in 1922 through 1924. The wood firewall maybe typical of the older cars...Bubba noted he had seen a wood firewall on a 23. My 1923 model 38 has a would firewall as well. This was probably a lower production number car so maybe wood made economic sense??

I think Tom is right. It looks like a 1915 C-24,25. The clinders are cast in pairs rather than like the later engines that were cast as four in one. Also the car has the 1915 "Flat Fenders". The hood style would have been a 1915 as the 1914's still had the older style. wink.gif Dandy Dave!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest outlaw car man

Pete-

Long shot, but a friend in Austin heard of an old guy with a real nice 29 A pickup for sale in Chickasha and was trying to find anyone that had info on it. It was there Thursday, maybe Friday too, guy was wearing coveralls-

Any Clue ?

Thanks,

OCM

member Buick Club 43878