exhaust supplier

Guest REX STALLION

Guest REX STALLION

Anyone know of a supplier of a complete exhaust( from manifold) for a `64 ? Even better, a supplier in Canada?

Sorry do not know of any mail order places in Canada but there should be someone. There are many places in the US that sell systems for the 64.

Here are a couple that are I have found reputable.

http://waldronexhaust.com/

http://classicexhaustinc.com/exhaustsystems.htm

Have you ever installed a mail order system? If not be prepared for a a lot of finesse to make it fit "properly" no matter who it comes from. Consider the ramifications if you buy from a vendor in the US and there is a problem with one of the pipes not being right. Make sure you know who is going to pay for shipping to send a new piece. Also make sure you understand what all is included in the kit you buy. Flanges, clamps, mufflers, resonators, etc.

Any "competant" exhaust shop can custom bend a system to original specs. Usually its a bit more expensive than some mail order systems but in your case if you have to pay shipping from the US as well as the amount of DIYS work involved, I'd think a custom bent system locally would be quite attractive.

Rex:

I ordered a complete exhaust from Kepich exhaust they are in Florida. I live in the Niagara area of Ontario. I had it shipped to a UPS store in the U.S and drove over to get it.

They had the best price. Google Kepich, get there phone #

and call for price. thats what I did. Let me know if you want more info. The price for a shop here in Canada to custom bend it was out of sight. Regards Barry.

I had purchased an exhaust system for my 65 Skylark Gran Sport from Kepich ,and it was good.They were located in the Ft Myers Fla area at the time and my parents transported it back to Ohio for me on their way back from there. If I'm not mistaken Kepich had previously advertised in the Bugle,and there may have been something that occured that ended that relationship.Maybe someone else can recall that situation,but my experience was satisfactory.Here is the web site...Good Luck,Rich http://kepichexhaust.com/

I considered mail order for my 63 but heard so much negative about poor fitting repro systems that I went to a local custom exhaust shop and was very pleased. It may be a different story if you are doing a strict restoration for points, my system was "upgraded".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TexRiv_63</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I considered mail order for my 63 but heard so much negative about poor fitting repro systems that I went to a local custom exhaust shop </div></div>

And for very good reason. Dual exhaust systems on the earlier Rivs have some very complex bends that are very difficult to get perfect the first try. If you've ever watched a shop custom bend a system, they will keep tweaking each pipe so it fits like it should. Obviously you don't get that option when you purchase a mail order system. Thats why its important to deal with someone who stands behind their work and will send you a new pipe at no cost if something isn't right.

When I'm at the nationals I can tell 66-70 Rivs that have poorly made mail order systems because the head pipes always hang down too low. Its quite common.

I personally had two very bad experiences with Kepich but that was many years ago. Perhaps they have improved greatly.

I orderd a complete system for my '64 (I'd prefer not to mention which of the dealers named above I got it from). I took it to a local shop to be installed which they were kind enough to do for about $150.00. I observe what Jason mentions, the pipes from the Exhaust Manifolds hang too low. Also, the pipes from the resonators that go over the top of the axle are very visible just in front of the rear wheels. The guys at the shop say they've tucked them up the best they can and I beleive them.

If I were to do this again, I'd order the resonators and muffler from from one of these dealers as they are very OEM in look and sound and leave the connecting pipe work to my local shop.

An interesting discussion, and one I haven't seen much reported on (at least in any depth) in the collector car restoration publications I subscribe to (or maybe I missed those articles.

I just ran across this very issue the past weekend while working on one of my other projects. We are converting a 61 Chevy 283 to production correct dual exhaust. We sourced the dual system from Classic Exhaust also. The reason was they could provide OEM correct resonators. A lot of other sources just provide the pipe and muffler - no resonators. (btw anybody know the engineering/design purpose of these?.....additional sound deadening at certain rpms/frequencies? nicer exhuast note?)

Long story short - after several hours of futzing, fighting, tweaking, pulling, twisting and fitting, we came to the realization we should have saved the time, spent the money and outsourced this part of the project - and we had a lift!

Come time for the Riviera, I order the components and bring them to a reputable shop.

alex

roa 11550

I modified a TA system, well they helped me since they lied to me about fitting with stock manifolds, and it fits great for the most part. However I did change lots of things to make it fit better or differently. I used Hooker S-pipes with the flanges cut off to replace the under floorpans muffler locations then cut the tailpipes up and put Magnaflow mufflers back there. The headpipes are a tight fit but mine is probably the only one in the country like this due to the fact that I bought it for manifolds and they just changed the catelog after I told them it didn't fit so they didn't have to have 2 different headpipe designs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alex bonino</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> A lot of other sources just provide the pipe and muffler - no resonators. (btw anybody know the engineering/design purpose of these?.....additional sound deadening at certain rpms/frequencies? nicer exhuast note?)

alex

roa 11550 </div></div>

Yes your assumption is correct. Buick engineers did many things to try and quiet their more expensive cars and resonators were just one of them. They do make the car a bit quieter. For many, its not enough to justify the extra cost and some actually like to hear a louder exhaust note therefore often they are eliminated.

Guest REX STALLION

Okay, you talked me into it, I`m building a custom (not for points)so I will go local . This is a great forum, thanks fellas!

Rex,

Just an FYI, I had all the pipes done in 2 1/4" and they used a crossflow muffler from a Buick GN. After trial and error, it took four bullet resonators to mellow out the sound and eliminate a rap that was so bad I thought I had an engine knock! The length and multiple bends in the pipes are tricky. Good Luck!

One thing to think about if/when you're installing new pipes on a first generation Riv, be it a Gran Sport or other. Even though the Gran Sport came from the factory with larger diameter pipes that had smoother radii, the exhaust manifold, and its accompanying outlet, were the same size on all engines. The bottle neck is at the end of the exhaust manifold no matter what sized pipe you put on it or how large the radii of your bends.

Anyone have a sucess story with any of the named vendors? or others? I am looking to buy a system in the near future. Please give details and name names. thanks lrg

Guest musclecarfan65

hi there.

my 65 riviera has headers from sanderson and 2 mufflers from flowmaster called "hushpower". the 2 1/2" H-pipe exhaust system has been custom made by my garage with standard tubes and flexible elements. the headers fitted extremely well although it took quite a long time to tighten the bolts with the engine in. exhaust pipes end in front of the wheels on each side ... so you do not have to route the exhaust pipes over the rear axle ;-).

i assume that you can also use that kind of configuration on your '64. this was as german also cheaper for me than any american mail order exhaust system.