Compass rearview install instructions

KDirk

After some tribulation, I have installed and tested the compass/map light rear view mirror from the 1992 Roadmaster in a Reatta. Following are instructions for wiring the mirror to a Reatta.

Referring to the attached diagram, the compass rear view mirror has a 4 pin connector with the following wires [note the letter is the cavity ID stamped on the connector shell]:

A: black/white stripe; courtesy light ground (unused on Reatta)

B: black/no stripe ; main ground (must be connected)

C: black/<span style="color: #009900">green stripe</span>; +12VDC for map lights

D: black/<span style="color: #3366FF">blue stripe</span> ; +12VDC for compass

Now, the Reatta has a three pin connector with only two wires:

A: brown/white strip ; +12VDC (hot in accessory & run only)

B: black/no stripe ; ground

C: no connection

So, the following connections need to be made:

1. <span style="color: #FF0000">Black/no stripe</span> wire on vehicle side harness to <span style="color: #FF0000">black/no stripe</span> wire on rear view mirror harness.

2. <span style="color: #FF0000">Brown/white stripe</span> wire on vehicle side harness to <span style="color: #FF0000">black/blue stripe</span> AND <span style="color: #FF0000">black/green stripe</span> on rear view mirror harness. Note that both these wires (black/green and black/blue) must be tied to the brown/white 12 volt supply for both the compass and map lights to operate.

The black/white stripe wire can remain unconnected as it is unused on the Reatta. Note that when grounded, it turns on both map lights in the rear view mirror, overriding the internal map light switches. This is for applications where the map lights double as courtesy lamps.

As far as mounting, the mirror mount is the same as the Reatta stock mirror. A single torx screw holds the mirror mount to the retainer on the windshield.

Once all the wiring is connected and tidied up, turning on the ignition to accessory or run should cause the compass display to light up with a pale blue background. The current direction should appear shortly.

I have noted that if there is a long delay before the direction appears, the mirror needs calibration. The calibration instructions follow:

1. Drive to an open level area and park vehicle. Maintain distance of at least 20 feet from other vehicles and 100 feet from buildings and other metal objects.

2. With the engine running, push and hold the push button located on the drivers side of the rearview mirror bracket. [This is a small black flush mounted unlabeled button about 1/4" diameter in the lower extension of the mirror mount base]

The display will go blank. In about three seconds, the letters "CAL" will appear in the display. Continue to hold the button until a symbol resembling a number "8" appears then release the button. The display will begin to blink.

3. After one or two minutes, the display will change to show two symbols resembling the number "88". Now turn the vehicle in the opposite direction (180 degrees), within two minutes.

4. Push the button until the display begins to blink, then release.

5. After another minute or two, the display will change to a slowly blinking "N".

6. Now point the vehicle North, you will have two minutes to complete this step.

7. Push the button a final time, until the display stops blinking and "CAL" disappears. The compass is now set.

A couple of final notes:

The vehicle side harness in the Reatta is tucked up above the headliner. When pulled out, there is very little (about 2-3" worth) wire to work with. This makes the connections difficult, so be careful to cut the connector off as close to the shell as possible.

I managed to re-pin the harness on the rear view mirror re-using the 3 pin connector shell on the stock mirror to avoid cutting off the vehicle side connector in the car, but this is a very nasty job on this particular connector type. Chopping the vehicle side connector is probably easier, although I understand some may not like that approach.

Since the compass and map lights are both powered from the same 12 volt switched supply, the compass will operate in retained accessory power, just as the map lights will.

If there are any questions, or clarification needed, please PM me.

KDirk

post-52795-143138047957_thumb.jpg

Kevin,

I printed off your instructions. Thank you very much for your efforts. There are still about 4 Roadmaster mirrors if anyone is interested. While I am out there I will also stop at a Riv and cut off the car side of the mirror harness. I can then wire it up on my bench and quickly install it in my Reatta.

Lets see I did the Riv compass upgrade to my Crt, I have a GPS and now this...

Maybe a sign I need some direction in my life? confused.gif

Guest dpannell

Dave, Would love to see pictures of the GPS installation in your 89'. The Garmin I put in my 90 has performed flawlessly and most people are surprised when I flip it open. Dave

Gentex does make an auto-dimming rearview with compass and map lights, but it is not so easy to find. It is also expensive, about $250 last time I saw one in a catalog. Also has LED map lights, not incandescent if this makes any difference to you.

I believe JC Whitney sells it, and there was one other place [name escapes mt right now] I saw it sold on a website.

This approach would require additional wiring, and these mirrors may also be near impossible to install on a Reatta without modification due to the location of the mirror retainer on the windshield.

The newer style auto dimming compass mirrors have a slide over clip mount, not a set screw. Also, the mirror mount has a "box" built onto it that houses some of the electronics. Look at any newer GM car with a compass/onstar mirror to see this. Do not confuse this with the rainsense auto wiper sensor usually mounted just to the right of the rearview mirror.

Because the retainer on the Reatta is glued to the windshield less than 1/2" below the headliner, sliding the mirror mount up and over the retainer and getting it to clip on would be very difficult due to lack of headroom.

Of course, the retainer could be removed and glued back on lower on the windshield, but that just makes more work. That, and the cost, deterred me from buying one of the newer Gentex mirrors and installing it in my car.

The mirrors Dave found are a good compromise, as they have the compass and map lights and look almost identical to the stock Reatta mirror in size and shape. They also have the set screw mount which is much easier to deal with.

Best of all, if you can find them in a salvage yard they are bound to be relatively cheap. Do be forewarned, the back light on the compass display may be burned out as it is a 12 volt micro lamp and these mirrors are all 16+ years old now.

I repaired the bad backlights on both units Dave sent me with white LED's which worked out very well, and will not burn out again (well, not for 100,000+ hours anyway).

If there is sufficient demand for this mod, I will work up instructions on how to replace the bulb with an LED. Not terribly difficult, but getting the mirror apart without damaging anything is tricky. The LED also requires a dropping resistor to bring the lamp voltage down from 12VDC to about 2.5 volts. Some soldering and heat shrink tubing is also required.

I will add some pics later today of the new mirror installed in my car.

KDirk

There is not an auto dimming compass mirror in any of the G M cars I looked at in the u-pick yard.

If anyone is interested I have one Riv mirror that is excellant [very similar to the reatta, wiring connection is different. I would just use snap locks]and one compass mirror [there are no more out in the yard at this time]available. I was going to install the Riv mirror in my Reatta, but will be installing a compass mirror instead.

PM me if interested.

• 2 weeks later...

Reattatude,

Yeah, my bad. I took the pictures but was not pleased with the way they looked. I did it during the day, but I need to get out at dusk to get a good pic of the mirror in use. Problem is that the sunlight coming through the windshield washes it out and all I get is a silhouette of a rear view mirror, and the compass is not even visible. Other option is to get to a nearby parking garage.

Will try to get new pics taken tomorrow and post shortly thereafter. Would've done it sooner but I've been getting killed with overtime this week. Not that I'm complaining, with so many people just scraping by these days...but it is cutting heavily into my Reatta time.

KDirk

Jon,

Thanks for getting the pictures up, yours turned out far better than my first attempt. Out of curiosity, did you cut off the vehicle side harness connector to wire yours in? I ask because I used the factory harness, and re-pinned the mirror harness using the stock Reatta mirror 3 pin connector shell.

This saved my vehicle side harness, but it is a very tight fit as there is essentially no slack at all due to the short length of the harness on the compass mirror. Also, the connector now sits just below the edge of the headliner, not tucked above it as it was with the stock mirror.

I'm thinking I may redo it to eliminate the above issues, and would like to know how you did yours.

KDirk

• 2 weeks later...

You asked about how I installed my compass mirror.

I soldered two pieces of sanded paper clip, to the compass mirror wires. About 1/2 inches long, with heat shrink tubing over them. This left about 1/4 inch sticking out of the shrink tubing. I plugged those into the plug from under the headliner and pushed it all back under the headliner.

• 3 years later...

Bought a compass/map light mirror from a '92 Roadmaster at the Pick N Pull. Since it has the square 2x2 pin connector, and the Reatta mirror has a flat 1x3 pin connector, I made a little adapter cable for a plug 'n play installation. Flat 3-pin plug came from a early-90s Cadillac - where they used their own little adapter cable between the back of the mirror and the cars wiring harness.

Ronnie: You might want to add to your compass mirror instructions that, at least on the convertible, the trim cover needs to be removed to access the wiring. To do this:

1.) Unscrew the visor clips - one Phillips screw on each. Note that on the convertible, the clips stay with the trim piece, because there is a second screw on the back of the trim piece holding them on.

2.) Unscrew each of the visors - three Phillips screws on each. Gently let them drop and hang by the wire.

3.) Unscrew the black Phillips screws - one at each end of the trim piece. On the convertible, the ridge around the black top plate may get in the way of the screw. If so, loosen the end screw on the top plate a bit in order to be able to lift the plate slightly to get the needed clearance.

4.) To remove the mirror, use your trusty T-15 torx driver on the set screw holding the mirror to the button, then lift it up and off.

Convertible owners may also want to take advantage of the opportunity to replace their broken original visor clips with Kingsley versions while the trim is off.

Reverse the above for re-installation of the trim.

Edited by wws944
Slight clarifications (see edit history)

Looks good - though you might want to add the bit about building an adapter cable. I am not a fan of cutting up factory wiring connectors.

Really helpful is the calibration instructions. They seem to be found no where else on the web. The Donnelly mirror is different than a Gentex mirror, where the latter simply needs to have the correct zone set.

• 2 weeks later...

Ronnie: I was looking at the coupes yesterday at the Reatta Rally, and my instructions above for removing the trim cover are indeed convertible specific. For the coupes, I guess you would simply unscrew the visor clip screw on each side, maybe the visors themselves, then gently work the center of the headliner edge down a tad so that the connector can be slid out.

In the coupe, do the visor clips have a second screw from above to hold it to the headliner? Or is there just the single screw going upwards?

• 3 weeks later...

Ronnie: I tried providing the following in the 'comments' section of your Compass rear view mirror installation instructions, but it says my comment was too long. I made similar comments a few posting above, but am guessing you missed them. Anyway, here are some corrections for the page:

In the second paragraph, remove the first two words "At least". The trim removal instructions only apply to convertibles. For coupes, you may want to mention trying to slide the connector out from under the headliner by gently tugging on the wires. (I wonder if removing the visor clips would also help free the center of the headliner a bit - making it less likely to damage the headliner?)

Also - I avoided cutting or otherwise making any wiring changes to my Reatta by making a little adapter cable. I spliced together a 1x3 plug on one side, rescued from a similar adapter harness that is present in some early '90s Cadillac mirrors, and the 2x2 socket that I cut out of the donor cars wiring harness. Solder the splices, with some heat shrink tubing to cover the splices. Wrap with black electrical tape. Plug. Play.

Same instructions would apply for other rear view mirror upgrades. Of course the fancy ones with things like temperature sensors and rear camera displays would require additional wire runs.

Guest Killerbunny

Thank you Kdirk...Great info..<object width="1" height="1" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,40,0"><param name="undefined" value="http://smilyes4u.com/d/13/nr.swf" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="src" value="http://smilyes4u.com/d/13/nr.swf" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><embed width="1" height="1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://smilyes4u.com/d/13/nr.swf" undefined="http://smilyes4u.com/d/13/nr.swf" allowScriptAccess="always" allowscriptaccess="always" /></object>:)

• 1 year later...

Yes Ronnie it will work. The "How to" wiring instructions from kdirk is even in this series of posts. Tell you what, I will bring a Reatta mirror plug when I come next week and we can wire it up if you want. That way it is just plug and play. And if you want to go back to original equipment just unplug it and swap back your original mirror

Yes Ronnie it will work. The "How to" wiring instructions from kdirk is even in this series of posts. Tell you what, I will bring a Reatta mirror plug when I come next week and we can wire it up if you want. That way it is just plug and play. And if you want to go back to original equipment just unplug it and swap back your original mirror
Sounds good Dave. Even if you're pressed for time when you get here you can show me the correct way to do it and I can install it latter.

I thought I had Kevin's instructions on ROJ but I've not been able to find them.

EDIT: Found the instructions.

Edited by Ronnie (see edit history)

Guest Mc_Reatta

Glad you completed your set Dave.

Ronnie, "try it, you'll like it".

I think this is a much better upgrade than the compass module that was available (not in Reattas though) that works via the CRT.

Just too bad the model with auto-dim, compass and map lights is so rare.

Don't know if anyone has tried the one with the temp gauge readout with the outside temp sensor we have built in. Guess there's always the chance that the thermistor in the Reatta would match the parameters that the mirror would be looking for too.

The Red gets everything. The Black and the 'vert when I have and energy. Having said that the Red has the compass mirror, the sequential lights, reconditioned taillight, and the CRT compass. The 'vert has backlite window/mirror switches, Compass mirror, and soon sequential tail lights. The taillight looks real good yet.

The Black? The Black gets driven [mostly in the winter]. And I feel bad for it too...

I think this is a much better upgrade than the compass module that was available (not in Reattas though) that works via the CRT.

Just too bad the model with auto-dim, compass and map lights is so rare.

I have found a couple on '98 Intrigues that have the sunroof option. Problem with them is they use a newer style attachment method to the button on the glass. Instead of the usual torx screw, it requires a special tool to remove from the button.

I should try looking at '95-'99 Rivs, as post #19 suggested, to see if they retained the torx screw method.

Don't know if anyone has tried the one with the temp gauge readout with the outside temp sensor we have built in. Guess there's always the chance that the thermistor in the Reatta would match the parameters that the mirror would be looking for too.

The ones I've seen don't have map lights. Temp sensor requires additional wiring. Actually the auto-dim feature should too. There is a wire from the reverse light circuit that tells the mirror to turn off auto-dimming when the car is in reverse.

• 2 weeks later...

I now have my compass mirror installed on my '88 model. I've had the compass mirror, complements of Daves89, for a few years but I was reluctant to cut wires to install it. Dave stopped by my house yesterday and provided me with a connector with some wired still attached that would plug into the Reatta wiring harness. Then he showed me how to use the connector to make an adapter so no wire cutting is needed to install the compass mirror. He even found the wires under the headliner for me. The compass mirror a nice custom accessory that looks good and will be useful.

After Dave left, I soldered the wires and covered them with heat shrink tubing to make the adapter. Then I plugged the adapter into the connector on the mirror. The compass mirror has a 4 terminal connector and the stock Reatta mirror has a 3 terminal connector that don't match up. Attaching the adapter I made makes installing the compass mirror plug & play. About a ten minute job. Thanks Dave! Also, thanks to Kevin for getting the mirror working for me.

Dave also brought me a used power antenna unit for my Reatta. Since I've had my car it had always had a solid mast. I like the solid mast but now, for the first time since I've owned the car, I have a power antenna that works as it should! Having Dave's car sitting in my garage to see how the antenna should be installed was a big help with getting the antenna installed correctly. Thanks again Dave!

I now have my compass mirror installed on my '88 model. I've had the compass mirror, complements of Daves89, for a few years but I was reluctant to cut wires to install it. Dave stopped by my house yesterday and provided me with a connector with some wired still attached that would plug into the Reatta wiring harness. Then he showed me how to use the connector to make an adapter so no wire cutting is needed to install the compass mirror....

Ronnie - Maybe Dave can confirm it, but that connector is likely the one I mentioned in post #26 above - found in some early '90s Cadillacs. Kit and I used the same approach with his car last weekend.

Ronnie - Maybe Dave can confirm it, but that connector is likely the one I mentioned in post #26 above - found in some early '90s Cadillacs. Kit and I used the same approach with his car last weekend.
You are probably correct. I think he told me what it was off of and I forgot. Dave is on vacation right now but if he sees this I'm sure he will confirm.

I just got finished calibrating my compass mirror this morning. It works great. I'm going to update the instructions for calibrating the compass with a photo that shows where the calibration button is located and a few changes to the text. One of the last instructions is to point the car North. I used a hand held compass to find North. I wonder what else people could do that don't own a compass to point the car North? Do it at night when the North star is visible? lol

... One of the last instructions is to point the car North. I used a hand held compass to find North. I wonder what else people could do that don't own a compass to point the car North? Do it at night when the North star is visible? lol

Well, you could download a compass app onto your smart phone...

If you are using a magnetic compass, be sure to take into account the declination based on what part of the country you are in. (http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/geomag/declination.shtml)

• 2 months later...

I have a problem with the compass mirror I just installed in the vert. The compass works but the back light for the compass square doesn't light up. However the reading lights are on all the time. What did I do wrong?

I did make up a jumper Roadmaster to Reatta lead. Must have a wire crossed. Anyone out there to enlighten me?

Ronnie, I had no idea that a Cadillac used our 3 pin leads. I was just snipping them off Reatta mirrors as I found them...