Compass rearview install instructions

KDirk

I have a problem with the compass mirror I just installed in the vert. The compass works but the back light for the compass square doesn't light up. However the reading lights are on all the time. What did I do wrong?

I did make up a jumper Roadmaster to Reatta lead. Must have a wire crossed. Anyone out there to enlighten me?

Sounds like you accidentally wired pin A into the mix. See post #1.

Ronnie, I had no idea that a Cadillac used our 3 pin leads. I was just snipping them off Reatta mirrors as I found them...

Yeah - some of those cars also have a little adapter cable to bridge between the mirrors connector and their main wiring harness, as I have described several times in this thread. One end is the correct plug for the Reattas harness. So far, I've done my car, Kitskaboodles car, and sent one to drtidmore for his car using these harnesses. I didn't think to cut plugs off j/y mirrors themselves. But wouldn't want to risk seven years of bad luck. :)

Yeah I went out to the Black and pulled down the wires. Saw what I did wrong and will make the change when my wife lets me work on the car. [Weather got nice today so she took the 'vert to work]. When I did the Black I just used scotch locks.

My conscience didn't bother me too much cutting those ends off mirrors when I was at Gibson's. They went through the Buicks about a 2 months ago [about the time I cut the plugs]. They spared my cars then, but last week I saw a younger guy starting again in the Buick row. If you here a scream coming from Wisconsin, you will know my "stash" has been crushed...

Going out to Gibson's this AM to look around. Hope something is still there. BTW I had a little time this morning [6:30 AM] to pull the visor trim and look at my wiring. Sure enough I had connected one too many wires. All better now. However the compass works but not the back light. So I pulled that one back out and took the rebuilt one from the Black that I had rebuilt and put it in.

Now I have 3 compass mirrors in my storage that need work...

Guest Mc_Reatta

I vaguely remember a thread on replacing that bulb by KDirk and the possibility of using an LED instead of the tiny light bulb. Suppose a search would find it.

I have used a white T-1 LED with a dropping resistor on some previous rebuilds. This is a difficult setup due to the original lamp have a short wiring lead to the circuit board which limits the space in which to install the resistor.

Also, the LED is larger than the original 12v lamp by a bit so it doesn't quite fit the rubber grommet that holds it into the backlight housing requiring some adhesive to keep it in place. My inclination now is to use the correct 12v micro lamp and I have procured a supply of these. While these will not have the lifespan of the LED, they are easier to install and make for a cleaner repair.

Don't have my notes in front of me but I think the dropping resistor was 560 ohm for anyone inclined to do their own LED conversion. Just make sure the LED is a T-1 size, not the more common T-1 3/4 as the latter is too large to work correctly. Also, polarity is critical with the LED but is unimportant with the lamp.

KDirk

Thanks guys. We can do what ever you want in the way of electrical programming, repairs, etc when you get here. I did walk around looking for shifter handles from cadillacs and found a 1990 with the Reatta 3 pin plug. I now have it. This is a great forum and I am glad to be a part of it.

Also no screaming from Gibson's. All the Reattas, Rivs and Trofeos that were there are still there. Some have been there 3 plus years. Maybe a little picked over, but still some user parts...

just wish they could get more.

Dave,

I hope all (or at least most) of those last until I can get up there. Looks like a summer trip now (July maybe) due to my other commitments.

Right now I am prepping the convertible for repainting. I have spare front bumper skin and upper filler as well as headlamp cover panels I'm hoping to have ready to prime tomorrow.

KDirk