My latest purchase...1939 Reatta

Barney Eaton

Guest Greg Ross

I'm disgusted, by this time tomorrow we'll have a foot of snow on the ground and three foot drifts!

Very nice ride Barney, fender skirts and all.

Technically it is a 66S Century sports coupe. 320 ci OHV straight 8.

The side mounts were optional, the sunvisor, spotlights, fog lights, fender skirts were aftermarket or dealer installed. The red rims were available on that year Buick with any color exterior, otherwise the rims would be body color.

It was delivered today so it will be a while before I have gone over every inch to check it out.

Barney, are you aware that your 39 "Reatta" was the first car with the shifter on the column and the first car with turn signals? Yours looks like a beauty, but if it were mine, I would lose the spotlights and the sidemount. They are neat things to have, but break up the lines of the car and those front fenders will look great unadorned. 39 Buick coupes are one of my very favorite cars, I had mine from 72-95, and would love to find another. How about a nice pair of red Reatta power seats inside to match the red wheels on the outside? :-)

With the old (non-radial) tires, king pin suspension, I don't see how anyone drove them more than 60 mph.

At lower speeds it wanders .....I am told that the 600 miles are all that have been put on the car since it was restored.......and pictures indicate that the suspension was restored.

I just spent the morning under the car and will be looking for a few replacement parts. I want to upgrade the interior of the trunk. But otherwise it is ready to go.

In my experience, non-radials are more controllable than radials - with the proper inflation they do not "squirm". OTOH tires have improved so much even since the 60s to be incredible.

The nice thing about a car like that is that you do not need to drive fast. Still, back in the day, OHV Buicks were noted for their ability to cruise for long distances at relatively high speeds.

Guest F14CRAZY

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EDBSO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice ride, same bolt pattern as the Reatta?

Speed limits were lower in the "good old days". </div></div>

My dad said when he was a kid, his dad would get the family Packard up to about 90 and his mom would yell at him for it

Barney,

You shouldn't have any trouble at all keeping up with most modern traffic.

Check your tire pressures and your toe in. Adjusted correctly the car doesn't wander.

Now, understand, it wont be like a modern car but after a bit of driving you will get used to it. It always takes me a bit when I get in my 47.

Congratulations on an excellent purchase, I am jealous.

Caster is the front end adjustment (along with the "toe" adjustment) that is critical to making a car go straight when you let go of the steering wheel. Too little caster and it will want to wander from side to side. Too much and it will be harder to turn which is important on cars without power steering.

Also excessive caster can make a car prone to shimmy at certain speeds.