Tell me this is just a bidding war!!!!

Guest ZondaC12

If you need a part for your 400 point car, its well worth the 140 bucks. Especially if it is made of "unobtanium". The Ivory handle is in good shape and it looks nice. It would pass muster with the judges.

I have been motivated enough to pay more for a good turn signal stalk when I found one...

Guest ZondaC12

Yeah that's kinda what I figured. I will say I'm no different. Just recently found a guy parting out another 20th anniversary Cougar like mine....the seats have this cloth center and leather outside...its called "ultrasuede" and they dont MAKE it anymore! No upholstery shop can get it its just not made. So he had a good entire seat-back cover. Paid $60 for it, he wouldnt take any less. I feel like that's a little expensive....but you cant find it ANYWHERE besides a parts car. And....there is a big tear in the material on my seat and I HATE it!!!! So itll be worth it, plus the material from his seat is PERFECT!!!

I recently bid $400 for a pair of NOS wiper towers--and lost!

I offered $1200 for a pair of NOS fender skirt "speed streaks" and was similarly out-bid.

$200 for the aforementioned unobtainable turn-signal stalk. Loser.

$125 for a heavy-duty 5-blade late Roadmaster cooling fan. Nope.

Bargains? Sure:

$55 for a never-plated NOS grille half, perfect condition, new in box.

$20 for a pair of turn signal lenses @ Flint a few years ago. They now trade for over $200/set (I have 3 sets, two original and 1 repro!).

About a dozen rear brake light lenses of various sizes and conditions. They made so many different ones that it's impossible to know what will fit until you try it on. So I keep buying them. They're trading for $30-40 each these days, but I doubt if I have $100 in the whole bunch of them.

NOS right rear fender, perfect condition, $95.

Complete set of (rough) interior garnish moldings: $45.

Super rare OEM fog light switch (the correct one that turns off the headlights when you turn on the fog lights): $15

NOS oil pressure gauge (the electric gauges are cheap, the mechanical oil and water temp gauges are outrageous): $25

Complete NOS windshield washer setup, including jar and vacuum switch: $75

I've got so many NOS parts that I've lost track of them and have them stashed all over the house. It's a sickness--I have stuff I know I won't use, but I love having it brand-new in the box. And I'm always on the lookout for pieces better than those I already have (especially grilles). It all depends on how badly 2 people need something. I think I've been lucky more often than not.

The weak dollar is fueling <span style="text-decoration: underline">A LOT</span> of the prices lately. This week past I sold off some of the last of my stashed Buick parts. All 10 items sold to European bidders, including one guy who also bought an Oldsmobile patch i had lying around. One week this summer I sold 5 items to 4 different bidders, all of whom lived in Sweden. In all this year I think about 50% of the Buick parts I've sold have gone to Europe and Australia.

If you've got stuff lying around like Matt (and I), and there's no way you're going to use it in the foreseeable future, <span style="text-decoration: underline">this is the time to sell!</span>

Matt,

I know exactly how you feel. I have no idea as to what I have. I am going to lay everything on the garage floor, take an inventory and catalogue the stuff so I know what is what and where (box #) to find it.

Stevo

Guest ZondaC12

Mannn...I hope to be just like you guys someday...with a huge stash of parts I don't know what to do with. I cant count how many descriptions like this I hear from fellow hobbyists at shows and cruises...just sounds awesome, to have all that right at your disposal, "just in case"!

That's more than my parents paid for a whole '38 Buick Special 2door they bought in 1957 as a second car, $88 and they sold it in 1972 for $75, and the next months or so after that we found one with all the glass wrecked for $400 it was a 4door tho! I just sold some stuff off my '56 parts car to a local guy, radiator and shroud for $50 and a bunch of miscellaneous for $30, I only paid $400 for the car about 15 yrs ago, next job to pull it out of it's hole, grab engine, trans and junk the rest, probably get $400 for scrap, it's 4 door sedan like Derek's been wanting to sell, or now restore with kids, a better idea!

I bought my 38 in 1967, I was 15 at the time. Sounds like the same time your dad bought his 38.

Mine was on a used car lot here for $125.

Still have the car. Still has original interior, I rebuilt the engine and did body and paint as an amateur restoration at that time. I paid $125 for a parts car a year later , for the sidemounts. It was a semi automatic by the way. I have now recouped all the money I have in the car last year at a movie shoot. Prices for cars and parts do change over the years. Gee, I'm starting to feel old. But I can now tell my wife the car is actually a freebee, I have no money tied up in it. [can't say that for my other cars though]

Unfortunately for us Aussies the value of our dollar has dropped significantly in the last 5 - 6 weeks. cry.gif

It was as high as US$0.97, now trading at 0.79c.

Why ??? The US$ has not gained value , just that with a threatened world recession and a slow down in China means our resource rich exports ( iron ore, gold , lead, uranium etc )

are no longer in strong demand.

So all the parts we now buy cost us about 20% more.

And with USPS not offering surface shipping anymore mad.gif

that really kills us for the heavy stuff.

A book of matches or a box of matches are still a whole lot cheaper than this lighter. Just do not look at the lighter, hell, not many people smoke these days anyway.

Rooster, the way things are going we will join you in the exchange market. Pretty soon, our money will be worth nothing and Chinese yen (or whatever it is called) will be the currency of choice.

Stevo

I think it's called the Yuan ( Yen -- Japanese )and yes Stevo you could be right.

I still can't comprehend or come to grips with the rapid drop of our currency ? I though the U.S. was the one in trouble.

But as they say here --- When the U.S. sneezes, every other country catches a cold.

Guest ZondaC12

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JohnD1956</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good thing you don't need that cigar lighter.

</div></div>

It's funny, for the first time in 70 years, it got used this summer! My buddy Sean consistently forgets his lighter, or at least he did for the better part of the summer anyway. At least 4 or 5 instances, starting with, I *think*, the second Guptills' cruise, he reached for the lighter and couldn't find it. I said "I got one, it's a 6 volt system but it's got kick alright!" Tried it, came out nice and bright orange, worked like a charm.

Then a couple times at poppy's ice cream at Bear's cruise in he forgot it again, and I said "I'm gonna have to start chargin ya for this!" laugh.gif

I usually wind up disconnecting those things in my cars. I would not want smokers in the old cars for fear the ashes would catch the interiors on fire. I don't want them in the new cars either as I have had my fair share of burn holes in the seats from others.

But that's just me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I usually wind up disconnecting those things in my cars. I would not want smokers in the old cars for fear the ashes would catch the interiors on fire. I don't want them in the new cars either as I have had my fair share of burn holes in the seats from others.</div></div>

It also STINKS!

Guest ZondaC12

Oh NO WAY don't get me wrong I can't STAND the smell of smoke. I wish he didnt, he started while he was out at UTI training to be a big bad diesel tech. He's trying to quit I guess, so he says anyway. But I pushed it in let it heat up brought it outside the car quickly enough for him to light up. I don't really know though, the classic old car smell this thing has is POTENT, I wonder if anything could really overpower it!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">....the classic old car smell this thing has is POTENT, I wonder if anything could really overpower it! </div></div>

Try an old cable shovel with a pony start Caterpillar, or IHC diesel for a power plant if you want to really smell something funky. sick.gif

Belive me, it goes to your head after a while. crazy.gif Dandy Dave!

I am very grateful that my wife gave up smoking 14 months ago (on the 11th). We used to have an agreement that as long as she smoked I could buy old Buicks with no complaints. I managed to exercise some control and she bit her tongue many times. But when I got the Riviera and she had her Regal she agreed not to smoke in the Riv, as long as she could smoke in the Regal. Then when I got the GS I asked her not to smoke in that, especially with the top down, and she agreed as long as I stopped when she was in need of a hit. So we went that way for a while too. Once after that we took the 56 out and she lit up as she used to do before. I pointed out that that interior would go up faster than a gasoline can half full if any ashes landed on the seat, so she stopped smoking in that car.

On long trips the Riv was my car of choice and she would not smoke as agreed. Eventually she stopped smoking in the Regal around town too. And when we got the LaCrosse she decided no smoking in that one because it has a white interior. Then she gave them up alltogether, and life has been, well a [censored] for a while, but generally much much better since.

Guest ZondaC12

Well that's awesome. Congratulations to her. Didn't even know.

On a side note....if anyone has seen the interior of a '38 you know that each door's woodgrained garnish molding around the window, has a (made out of "bakelite" I think?) small rectangular trim piece in the middle of the bottom of the molding, as in below the glass itself. It's about 3 inches long, half an inch tall. Has a metal piece in the middle and veritcal bars painted on it. SIX of these went about a day ago......for well over $350!!!!!

Never thought I'd be so thankful to have an almost complete car! LOL

You think parts prices are bad, take a li'l lookey here!! shocked.gif

Buick Postcard 1914

whistle.gif Most of the time these paper photos/ post cards from this era get no bid or sell for $10 to $20 dollars. I recently aquired a nice pair of 1914-1915 head lights for my Buick on eBay and I hate to say that this little ol piece of paper is catching up. Yep, has to be a bidding war, or two are out there just driving up the price for fun. wink.gif Dandy Dave!