Cadillac V-8 '32 All Weather Phaeton

• 4 weeks later...

Please, find some latest progress pictures attached, all windows in place, new channel, new rubber parts,new filler, All window and lock related parts are working well,including the two newly made window mechanisms, the small ones that take the handle were completely worn out on both front doors.

Doors close and fit as they should and the gaps are like they supposed to be.

I will start on the top hardware next, should be interesting as well.

Question, what would you like the car to have; a black top with tan inner lining, or a tan one with the same tan inner lining, I'd love to learn your thoughts on this.

Johan

post-40373-143138041252_thumb.jpg

post-40373-143138041255_thumb.jpg

post-40373-143138041257_thumb.jpg

post-40373-143138041259_thumb.jpg

The tan top sounds beautiful, but you really need to ask yourself what colors YOU want. I have always loved a tan top on a dark car body. It seems to enhance the dropped body lines at the sides near the rear of the car. I don't think I would have designed in such a feature only to hide it with the same color top. What color have you chosen for the seats?

One thing that is fairly easy to do is look at other like-bodied cars and see what appeals to your eye when you first look at it. Is it the rake of the rear section or the look of the size of the car itself? Do the styled lines of the car contrast or blend with the top?

Just me, but I would photoshop the cars side picture with both colrs of tops.

My thought is that all that classy chrome around all the glass will get lost with a light color top. A black top would make the chrome really stand out. Both ways will look good though. I am with West on black tires, black top, but it's not our car smile.gif

Great car. Do you have a trimmer lined up? If not would love to offer services to do upholstery on the car, love leather and early tops, that is all I want to fool with. I have references, have done complete jobs on Cord, Packard Darrin, early Babcock, many others. Do it now as a hobby to help pay for my old car disease. thanks David Coco

I love the effort and quality that you are putting into this car, especially with it being a driver. As far as input to the top color choice, I have to agree with the position that this is more of a personal choice. You can stick strictly to what the car was or would have been delivered with or tweak it some. What ever choice you make based on the results pictured so far it will be the right choice and personally I can assure you in advance that I will not be disappointed with what ever choice you make.

Thanks for our interesting replies.

The car was originally delivered with the tan with tan lining

and with the intention of an " after the build sheet restoration", a new tan top is logical, the more we think about it, the more we tend to a black top instead. The car gets a better look, will be lower and longer in appearance and not so "set off" by the tan top in the raised position.

I have looked at dozens of pictures from differnt classic cars and come to the same conclusion with the darker colored cars, over and over again, they are looking better with the black top, but it struggles hard with my authenticity goal,I will have to give this some very serious thoughts to finally come to a decision and your ideas are certainly valued. Johan

"the more we think about it, the more we tend to a black top instead. The car gets a better look, will be lower and longer in appearance and not so "set off" by the tan top in the raised position."

I agree with the "lower and longer". That was a goal by car makers back then.

I can see the dilema with trying for the 100% authenticity, but somewhere along the line, personal preferences should be allowed?

I agree black is sharp, personally I would put on dark brown or grey, but only a handful of cars in the World are restored to their original build sheets (and Cadillac build sheets are very detailed excepting dealer installed accessories). I would propably go as dark a tan as Stayfast or one of the German companies make. You will find a separation of the men from the boys in quality of the top and a truly 100 point car looks good with any color top, the quality just stands out over the look. Not an easy decision though, as 100 point 4 door convertible top on a CCCA car can easily be $8K to 10K plus, especially when chrome beading is used to cover nails. When Johan is speaking of a tan liner in the top he is not speaking of the color of the inside of the top convas - this car actually has a fabric headliner that integrates into the pads and is installed between the top and the bows - makes a complex top even the more difficult to upholster.

JMM

I for one can understand the personal point of view, as I've decided to alter my Dart from the data plate color scheme of Green(Body)/Green(Top)/Green(Interior) to a Green(Body)/Black(Top)/White(Interior). It will be something someone somewhere down the road can change back to the data plate spec if they choose to, but now the matching numbers car that it was is not built to the original build spec... The car though will still be an attractive combination that was available, just more to how I would have ordered it, not how it was built. So, bottom line is go with your heart and enjoy.

Scott

Hey West,

Correct, liner almost makes it easier to change top as pads are not an issue of matching of the canvas.

Top was a big issue when I was doing the Franklin as the car was a little brightly lit (Satan Red, Mulbury Maroon, and wheels & stripe of Puritan Cream w/white walls, so I went with a Porsche Carmel Brown with a mottled Maroon Stayfast edging and welt).

Great seeing you the other week, shame day went by so fast.

JMM

• 4 weeks later...

No decision on the top color yet,lots of hard work went into the weatherstrip fit,I thought i'd had it, with the door and window fit, was I to learn better!

The T shaped rubber strip didn't have the original vulcanised metal bars in it, so it went all over the place upon fitting it to the rails, I had to come up with a metal based solution.

I had plasma cut a SS 1/32 thick plate into strips an inch wide,glued these to the rubber, after drilling and filing the oval holes, fitted the tan bow drill and screwed these to the rails.On top of that every position is related to all other loose and adjustable components, it has been quite an undertaking

I'm happy with the result, the fit is like the old ones

(factory originals came with the car)and I like the looks.

Johan

post-40373-143138048755_thumb.jpg

post-40373-143138048758_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...
Guest Good Old Days

<span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'">Nice work Johan!

It's always a pleasure to look at your project!

Now I really can't wait to see your car!! grin.gif

Good luck with your car! cool.gif

Carine</span>

Too long it has taken me to tell you about progress, I know.

Not too much has happened, a few things did. We managed to find an exact match for the liner, colour and material,the wooden top bows have been succesfully covered with a matching

cloth as well,I'm pleased with the result.

A nice detail I think is the restored Fisher badge, more importantly, we have decided on a top colour finally, the authenticity has won a tan top it will be. Johan

post-40373-143138082498_thumb.jpg

post-40373-1431380825_thumb.jpg

post-40373-143138082502_thumb.jpg

post-40373-143138082504_thumb.jpg

Guest Good Old Days

<span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'">Johan,

Seeing these pictures makes us forget you didn't post for a while! grin.gif

Nice work, did you do the cloth on the bows yourself?

The Pionier Automobiel Club can be proud of a member like you!

At least this member is!

I'm very glad you chose the tan top, I think it's good to do it original like the rest. And the contrast will give the car a very distinguised look like this car deserves.

It must be a crown on your work! smile.gif

Succes,

Carine</span>

• 3 months later...
Guest Good Old Days

Hi Johan!

It's been a while!;)

Did you make any progress or did the holiday season interfear your work?

We stopped for almost two months now, but are getting back on track again. You don't see much, but things happen nevertheless.

Restoring sometimes is difficult, when you don't see the work.

We got all winter to get things together!

Good luck,

Carine:D

Guest Good Old Days

Well, Johan now we know what kept you from posting pictures!

I hope you don't drive your car into that big pond just to check or your rustfree treatment is well done!:D

A Cadillac deserves a residence like that, so you're right to clean it up before the car is ready!:cool:

I've just been to the upholsterer to choose my colors, not much choice I picked the original colors, brown leather and tan top!

Now back on track with the car to get asap to his workshop!

Bonne chance!:)

Carine

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest South_paw

Johan,

Just wanted to say that I've been watching your build from the beginning with great interest. If there should be another Cadillac in my future(God help me), your year and style car would be it. Thanks for sharing your build & keep up the updates coming :cool:

Edited by South_paw (see edit history)