2008 BCA National, Flint, MICHIGAN, July 16-20, 2008

BUICK RACER

Please save this link for the 2008 Buick Club of America National Meet, as it will be updated as soon as new information is available. Today's update is the registration form, which now includes a place to add your BCA Discusstion Forum Name, so it can be included on our nametags at the Meet. IF you have already sent in your registration form, not to worry, I will make sure your DF Name is included, if you are not sure please email me, to confirm. Thanks!

2008 BCA National Meet Info

Roberta,

Can you answer a question for me?? Why is there a $30 registration fee for the '08 Nationals, when it is a NON-JUDGED event. What is the registration fee being used for, when there are NO trophy's or awards to purchase. This amount is what I would expect to pay to register for a JUDGED event. I understand the purpose of the registration fee at a judged meet - to help offset the purchasing of awards from BCA and such- but for a "relaxed" NON- JUDGED meet???? What major expense/s is this trying to cover?? I'm curious.

Guest imported_MrEarl

It won't be hard for me to get my $30 worth of fun out of 'em. Especially if they have the wine kegs under the big tent again like in '03. laugh.gif

Probably things like renting sound equipment, tents, etc. I recall for 2003, Buick and the dealer, Patsy Lou must have made quite a financial committment for the "goodies", but. like Lamar, I do not think a problem getting the $30 worth of fun, even without the wine and cheese.

John

Guest imported_Thriller

Indirectly related...there was some discussion about entry fees at the open meeting at the National...compared to other clubs, the registration fees for our meets are low. There are always expenses to putting something like this together. Point - everyone pays the same fee for 400 point judging whether or not they get an award. Perhaps it is time for us collectively to stop being so cheap - what I spent in fuel, hotel, souvenirs, etc. to get to the National makes the actual registration fee a pittance.

I don't know yet whether or not I'll get to Flint...I'm an introvert and don't care much for crowds, but I might consider flying in by myself for a day or two.

Well, Don, all the replies have basically hit the nail on the head, would you pay $30 for a ticket to get in the hospitality area or for an umbrella cause we would have no tents, or how about a ticket to use a porta-potty? We have no major sponsors, yet, still working on that. In addition, every registered participant will receive several commerative items, besides the other perks.

Guest imported_Thriller

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BUICK RACER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In addition, every registered participant will receive several commerative items, besides the other perks. </div></div>

Maybe I will have to look at flying in for a day or two...hmmm.

Off topic - Roberta, perhaps we should talk a bit about your parts car seeing as I have a "complete" car that is barely above parts car status.

Roberta,

Thank you for your prompt response in answer to my question. For the record, I was not trying to stir up or start any controversy with my question. We've already been through enough of that crap in the past!!! Somewhere along the line I was mislead into believing there already was Financial support coming from GM and/or Buick, in amounts similar to their participation in 2003. So I was genuinely curious as to why. Personally, I feel it would be in GM's and/or Buicks' best interest to offer some kind of monetary assistance to the National meet as a "thank you" and goodwill gesture to show their support to us, for being the loyal hobbyists, that, for whatever our reasons were, chose to preserve our particular GM/Buick model of choice and for the deep passion and enthusiasm we share in keeping their past products on the road and their history alive. Now, if they would only start putting some of that past excitement and styling that captured us, back into the showroom, so as to excite and bring this next younger generation back into the fold, before they are all lost to thinking that the "rice burners" are the greatest thing since the invention of the wheel. They sure would help make our job easier to recruit younger members and ensure that our hobby will survive well into the future with products and styling that this generation would want to own and find the same passion to preserve the history, that we already have. Even with current technology and quality being all that it is, I personally don't see the current SUV and model offerings as the WOW vehicles of desire to restore 10-20 years down the road. My 2 cents and preference, I don't see anything in Buicks current or recent past (8-10years) line-up as showing collectible/restoreable desire, with the exception of the last generation 95-99 Riviera. They design and bring out a WOW design-- LaCrosse concept of a few years ago, which showed Buicks' rich history with the "sweapspear" side styling and when they actully bring out he "LaCrosse", it is no more than a freshened restyle of the well worn previous Century style that it replaced. And the reason they replaced the Century and Regal bodies--- Might as well-- they looked so da_n similar the last couple of years, that on a quick glance you could not tell them apart, unless you read the nameplate. I'm sorry, I'm getting off subject-- We do need help in the showroom for our future as a hobby, but that is for a diffent discussion.

Again, Roberta, Thank You for your prompt reply.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone thinking about flying into Flint from NYC,check this out:

Northwest plans nonstop flights to New York

FLINT

THE FLINT JOURNAL FIRST EDITION

Friday, August 31, 2007

By Marjory Raymer

mraymer@flintjournal.com • 810.766.6325

FLINT - Northwest Airlines announced Thursday it will begin daily service to New York in November.

The news comes on the heels of an announcement by American Eagle last month that it will begin service to LaGuardia International Airport. Both airlines will start service Nov. 4.

Northwest's tentative schedule calls for the daily, non-stop flights to leave Flint at 6 a.m., arriving in New York at 7:45 a.m., and leaving New York at 7 p.m. and arriving back in Flint at 8:05 p.m.

The news wasn't exactly welcomed by airport officials.

Northwest previously has followed airlines into new markets from Flint and made routes unprofitable - causing both airlines to discontinue service.

"We did not anticipate or have any knowledge of Northwest announcing this service," said Pat Corfman, spokeswoman for Bishop Airport. "We hope the community realizes we would not be getting this service if it weren't for American Eagle taking that first step."

Northwest spokesman Darren Shannon said Northwest is "committed" to the route.

Northwest also announced new service to LaGuardia from Des Moines, Iowa, and Madison, Wis. Tickets go on sale Saturday.

"The Heartland of America is of great importance to Northwest Airlines, and we are proud to be able to launch these new nonstop services to New York's LaGuardia airport," Tom Bach, vice president of network planning and revenue management, said in a prepared statement

• 2 weeks later...
Guest imported_65gs76limited

Do you have to be BCA member to attend?If i remember correctly,you didn't have to to attend the 07 national.I have a couple that want to come but don't belong to the BCA.

We would prefer that folks attending with a car are members of the BCA, due to insurance issues. We gained many new members in 2003, because they thought they had to be members to participate, some have stayed members, some haven't. Bringing a car to the show has many benefits, such as goodie bags full of awesome stuff. Since this is a BCA National, it would be nice if everyone that attends with a car would be a member, think about; The Buick BUGLE, the "best" part of being a member, and where almost all the money goes. We aren't going to turn anyone down from attending, but it's their choice. Hope that helps.

Guest imported_Thriller

How difficult or painful would it be to get between Detroit and Flint? I'm debating going myself (don't recall whether I've made this suggestion to Suzanne yet or not) flying down on Thursday so I could take in a tour on Friday and fly back on Sunday. I'm guessing (admittedly haven't looked into it yet) that flying to Detroit would be relatively straightforward. I guess I could rent a car, but not sure I'd need one there.

Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Thriller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How difficult or painful would it be to get between Detroit and Flint? I'm debating going myself (don't recall whether I've made this suggestion to Suzanne yet or not) flying down on Thursday so I could take in a tour on Friday and fly back on Sunday. I'm guessing (admittedly haven't looked into it yet) that flying to Detroit would be relatively straightforward. I guess I could rent a car, but not sure I'd need one there.

Thanks.

</div></div>

Derek, it's about a hour drive from Detroit Metro to Flint, but when you check flights out, check for connection to Flint(FNT) as sometimes it is cheaper to get the connection to Flint through DTW than just going to Detroit!

• 2 weeks later...

Al, at this time, there is a plan to celebrate the GM 100 in Flint with all divisions, being represented at a cruise/show on Friday night, July 18 in downtown Flint, the event is being presented by the Motor Cities Heritage Commitee and on Sunday, July 20th a 100th GM Anniverary Parade at 1PM in Flint, Michigan is tentatively scheduled, there a several other events being planned, that are in need of major sponsorship, before they can be announced such as fireworks on Friday night, and the parade on Sunday afternoon, but more is too come in the next couple of months, our next meeting is not til November, in order to develop plans for sponsorship for the event, so more to come.

Roberta,

I want to get registration for Flint meet taken care of in the very near future. Do you have any idea or knowledge of the goings on up there yet during the week???

Is GM or the other divisions planning anything for the early part of the week?? I want to lock up the hotel room also, but don't know how many days to plan for at this time--- depends on what is happening during the early part of the week. Do we book the room for Sun to Sat? or book for Tues/Wed thru Sat-- any info you could find and pass on would be of emense help to get these things sorted out and my registration in. Thanks.

Guest imported_Thriller

I'm happy you put that on Friday morning...if I do make it out, I'll probably be flying in Thursday, and leaving Sunday by my lonesome...guess I'd be a Buick Bachelor then for a couple days.

Guest imported_MrEarl

WOW that sounds like a lot of fun. Wednesday all the way through Sunday. The curises,drag racin, parades and fireworks...yeee haaaaa

uhh let me go back and check but I don't recall seeing mention of the Girls on Buicks event. I'm sure I just looked over it.

Thanks for posting Roberta, this lets me know that I need to book the hotel through Sunday too.

<span style="color: #3333FF"><span style="font-size: 17pt">2008 BUICK HOMECOMING....doesn't that sound sweet </span></span>

I think my 1915 C-36 would have a Great time there smile.gif , let alone its owner. grin.gif I do belive I'll trailer the old girl as it is a little futher than I want to drive it.

Sign me up! laugh.gif

Oh, I found it! I'll fill it out and send it in.

Dave!

• 2 months later...

Hi Roberta; I had the pleasure of attending the GM Heritage Collection tour you set up last March (It was a blast). I just wondered if this summers tour would have many different cars, or if the vehicles on display would be largely the same as we saw last 2007... Either way, see you in Flint. Thanks.

So you've wonder what our Banquet dinner will be? Here's the scoop, for $30 you will get:

Table served

Mackinaw Chicken

Two chargrilled chicken breasts topped with sauteed Fuji Apples, dried cranberries and walnuts in an apple cider sauce served over a bed of rice,

OR

Sliced Sirloin of Beef with a light brown sauce

with

Roasted Red Skinned Potatoes

Prince Charles Green Bean Medley

Mixed Caesar Salad - Fresh cut Romaine Lettuce, tomato wedges,crispy bacon,fresh parmesean and romano cheese then tossed with Caesar dressing and seasoned crutons

Honey & Wheat rolls and sliced French Bread, assorted in a basket on the tables

Pitchers of ice water, raspberry kiwi punch and ice tea on the guest tables

Coffee will be served as requested, keep it hot!

Sounds great, can't wait!

Hey RV -

Front page of today's Detroit Free Press (Sunday 12/30) has a big GM Centennial article. In it, it says Rick Wagoner will announce the GMnext information in a global online media forum on Thursday. I assume this means Thursday 1/3.

Gee, I wonder if Rick will talk about the BCA Meet and the Pre-War Division After Tour? (I better save him a spot!)

I know! YOU will be down at the RenCen for the broadcast. You and Rick chatin' it up! Don't forget to bring him a 2008 Meet T shirt.

All kidding aside, I've met him and he's a hell of nice guy. I guarantee he will be in Flint kicking tires at some point.

B.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brian_Heil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey RV -

Front page of today's Detroit Free Press (Sunday 12/30) has a big GM Centennial article. In it, it says Rick Wagoner will announce the GMnext information in a global online media forum on Thursday. I assume this means Thursday 1/3.

Gee, I wonder if Rick will talk about the BCA Meet and the Pre-War Division After Tour? (I better save him a spot!)

I know! YOU will be down at the RenCen for the broadcast. You and Rick chatin' it up! Don't forget to bring him a 2008 Meet T shirt.

All kidding aside, I've met him and he's a hell of nice guy. I guarantee he will be in Flint kicking tires at some point.

B. </div></div>

B, read that article, and come Thursday, the GMNext Blog is avaiable to all, I'll post the link. I'm not that big of a shot to rub shoulders with Rick, but when I and if I do, it'll be very cool!

Here's the link to the article mentioned:

LiNK

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest imported_Thriller

National Meet registration - check

Hotel room - check

Flight - check

About the only thing I don't have lined up right now is rides to/from airport/hotel/meet, but I'm not worried about those - taxis if necessary won't be an issue.

I imagine I'll see a few of you Thursday night, if not, at breakfast Friday morning...assuming I get some of the loot I've had shipped to Kris, I'll have something to share at the breakfast....

Another Tour added, on your own!

The Whaley Historical House Museum

The museum will be offering opportunities for tours from 1 pm to 4 pm, July 16 through 20. Because of the Whaleys' business and familial connections to Buick and General Motors, we thought that your members might be interested in visiting the house while they were in Flint this summer.

R. J. Whaley played an important role in the creation of GM with a loan of $2,000 he granted while president of Citizens Bank to Billy Durant and J. Dallas Dort to form the Flint Road Cart Company in 1886. Many years later, Durant stated that General Motors was founded in Flint because of Whaley's loan. Exhibited in the museum is the "Birth Certificate of General Motors," Billy Durant's personal bank book that records the loan.

R. J. and Mary's daughter, Florence, married William Crapo Orrell, cousin of Billy Durant. Orrell worked with his cousin at Durant-Dort and followed him to work at Buick. In 1905, Durant commissioned Orrell with the job of establishing a distribution network for Buick cars and trucks in the United Kingdom.

The museum is located on Kearsley Street, just a short walk from the campus of the Flint Cultural Center. Tours last about 45 minutes to one hour and admission is $5 for adults and $4 for children.

I need some info on who can attend the GM Heritage Center Tours during the BCA Meet.I read on the website it is not open for daily tours. Can GM retirees and their families visit the center without going on the Tour through BCA? I am not presently a member of the BCA but am planning on attending the meet in July. If I'm not a member and do not have a buick car to register for the show, I own 4 antique vehicles at this time,all GM,just not a buick, YET!!!! can I still register and get to take the tour to the Heritage Center? I looked on the BCA site for info but thought maybe someone could give me clarification.

Thanks!!

You can register and go on the Heritage Center tour. You don't have to be a BCA member to show your Buick at the show, either, but it is preferred. The Heritage Center has an open house from 5-8PM on February 21st, but you have to be sponsored by a current GM employee. Got any friends that are still working? I can't go, have another meeting on the Flint GM 100 event that day or I'd invite ya!

Guest wayneMP

So here I sit, it is 34 below outside and I am trying to convince myself that I could/should drive my 57 Buick down to Flint for the meet in July (provided that July ever comes). I was thinking that if I go I could drive down to Milwaukee, cross on the ferry and motor along to Flint.

How far from hotels to the meet? Security for cars overnight? Should I go? I hate planning that far ahead, I'm a guy, that's a commitment! BCA #43319