problems with Cars Inc

krw

Curious to know if anyone else out there has had issues or problems with the company Cars Inc. Particurely customer service? Would not recommend them as I bought some parts from them. They ended up being the wrong part so I called and asked them the protocol of returning the parts. to make a long story short I followed their return instructions and it ended up costing more money then if I were to keep them and order new ones. The owner of the company would not budge on his return policy, nor when I asked to speak to him would he was never around to talk to him. Very poor customer service.

i ordered a superwildcat decal from them a while back but the shipping was going to be more than the part so i ordered a set of valve cover gaskets to justify the shipping ......

recieved the gaskets but no decal called them up and then they shipped the decal and i paid shipping again........

i will NEVER order from them again......

just my 2 cents worth(+ 19.95 shipping)

scott

In my experience Cars Inc = Very Bad News!!!!!

I do not bag people, but here I feel I must say something.

I believe the purpose of this site is to be positive and not get personal about other members or suppliers. However, my failed purchase with cars makes me want to share my experience as a warning to others.

You may choose to read on as I relate my tale of woe, or save yourself and simply head the warning at the top.

Surely I will rant as this was very costly, time consuming, and upsetting episode.

To open my rant: I have bought some new items from Cars Inc and they arrived safely and on time.

But, when something went wrong they were a nightmare!

I bought 1951 Bumper ornaments. They were listed as NOS and priced appropriately for NOS.

When they arrived they were LOOSE in a large plastic bag along with all of the hardware rattling around with them. This was put in a cardboard box.

Not only were the larger components rubbing together, The hardware was rattling around with them because it had been put into a sandwich bag which broke.

There were no templates and the hardware was not all there. There was considerable shelf wear. The box was not the original for the item.

After shipment to Australia, the resulting MESS was just that: a mess. At over US$400 (includes postage) they were not even daily driver quality.

There was also an issue with an additional postage cost of US$40+ added to my MasterCard after shipment.

This added insult to injury and I was told that the postage amount I had been "Quoted" was just that: a quote and the other amount was added after it had been taken to the post office.

Many phone calls and emails later I had to let it go as an expensive loss. I still have them and hope to sell them to re-coupe some of the money.

None of the staff (Mary I think was one) or owner were helpful to the point they told me to make a claim against the post office because they had rough handled the goods. THE CHEEK. The items were badly packed and they wanted me to try to extract money from the post office.. This I believe is very dishonest.

From my experience...Look for it somewhere else: Pay more elsewhere: Do without even....BUT if you choose to use them, do it on your terms and be very careful!

Michael Monaghan Perth Australia

Guest El_Diablo

I bought a transmission kit from them. Shipping (to Germany) was very expensive. After some weeks of waiting I emailed them a couple of times, but never got any replies. The kit arrived three months later. I was very disappointed about the quality: the kit was not complete and it didn't fit right for my 54 Special. I avoid CARS if possible!

Jan

Guest my3buicks

Cars Inc has been the topic of many many threads ovewr the years - the general feeling has always been negative with a few "friends" or "die-hards" just loving them. Personally, I stopped buyiung from them years ago because of service, customer service attitude, and poor quality of many of their reproduction parts. I may have to look a bit harder for parts, but in the end, I find them.

Jake,

Before you go accusing BOD members of shady dealings, I have questions for you.

Have you written the BOD or the editor or the Buick Office with your complaints ?

We have banned advertisers from the Bugle before and will continue to do so, but we need to know about specific instances. Not hearsay, not rumors and not innuendo.

Given enough facts about any bad vendor advertising in the Buick, it will be discussed and voted on as part of the record. We dont like bad vendors any more than the members do. Dont forget, we have to buy parts too.

To say anyone on the BOD, Bugle, or in the National Office is taking money under the table, is simply wrong. The only money recieved from CARS or any other vendor is the monthly charge for the ads they run.

Bill Stoneberg

BCA Board of Dirctors Member

Yes I did talk to the editor of the Buick Bugle, Pete, and he also stated that he was not satisfied with Cars Inc. customer service. I asked if I sent a letter of dissatisfaction, would it be printed in the Bugle? Pete said he doubted it, and that it would be better to send it to the BCA board in Columbus.

Guest wildcat62

Well stated, Bill.

For every poor experience with CARS Inc. I have seen, I've seen at least twice as many that were positive. If they did not keep anyone happy or were cheating folks they'd be out of business. They are NOT the only game in town...perhaps the most convienant...but there are many other vendors selling the same items.

For the record, I did not have the best experience with them and now choose to spend my dollars somewhere else. I will also state that I've heard the counter help is less than helpful, however everyone that's contacted Glenn the owner has resolved their problems. If you've had an issue I'd suggest first starting with Glenn to solve it.

If you've been taken or cheated by a vendor in the Bugle the BOD/editor should be contacted and the facts relayed.

It is insulting to insinuate that the Board or anyone else gets paid under the table.

Kris Syrdal

BCA Board of Directors

I suspect that in many cases, some restorers tend to put a little too much faith in the "goodness" of any vendor that advertises in a single marque national club's publications. Kind of like that's a "vote of approval" of that vendor, it seems, when it only means that the vendor pays for the ads in the publication.

In the "following" of any vehicle enthusiast and/or restoration group, there will always be stories of what vendor is good, which vendor(s) can be problematic, and which vendor(s) should be avoided--by observation. "Customer Satisfaction" is not always part of the price paid for the items, either, nor is competent shipping/packing procedures, it seems.

Whether the "breakdown" is at the phone attendant level, the person that inventories/catalogs/"bins" the items, the hourly person that packs and ships the items, or in the upper management of the vendor, the fact it can happen is real and the fact that some don't admit it happens is even more real.

Now, for those that have had issues with any remote-location parts vendor . . . you have to also consider their side of the situation. The person who takes the order is not the same person that pulls and packs the shipment is not the one that does the actual shipment activity is not (necessarily) the owner is not the one who'll end up approving a "fix" should something went wrong somewhere (wrong part sent, etc.). Not much different than a local auto supply store, except you can't run up and look the clerk in the eye (over the phone or via email).

Typically, the phone clerk will believe that everything in the warehouse is in good, saleable condition and everything is in the bin it should be AND is accurately identified for what it is AND is supposed to fit. Nothing wrong with that orientation at all! And, if its to be shipped, this person will also trust that those in charge of those activities will do what they can to make sure things are shipped to be received in good condition (by observation, some people seem to get away with very little box-packing whereas if I'd done it as they did, the part would have been received "in pieces" in the box, so I always did what I could to pack things (and tape the box) securely, knowing that how the freight companies "handle" things can be not very gently). Nothing wrong with that either! And, this is the person who'll be interacted with should something go wrong, typically.

These "givens" can also generate many of the problems some might have encountered. Too much trust and not enough oversight in the other parts of the organization . . . NOR always enough motivation or empowerment to fix things out of their area of responsibility. It's a "job", basically, with possibly little understanding that these are rare and possibly otherwise unobtainable items being dealt with.

Then, figure into the mix that once a hiccup takes place, a "mad customer" will be on the other end of the phone (or email). The phone clerk will presume that the vendor did everything it should have done and any other problems generated in the ultimate transaction belong to another part of the chain (i.e., shipping company) or the fact the customer might not have known what they really needed OR needed just one fastner out of a complete assembly to do what they needed to do (not needing the rest of the assembly they ordered). It's easy to say "Send it back and we'll issue credit", but when what is sent back is open and shows "marks of installation" and has some parts missing, you can get a little testy the next time the scenario repeats itself with a different customer. Naturally, the phone clerk will presume that what was shipped out was in saleable condition, in a box in good condition with all of the needed parts in it, and otherwise "as presented" and suitably packed. If what is returned is in a soiled box, torn open (with possible part number ID missing!), and with undetermined parts there or not there, you see where that deal can lead . . . for both parties of the transaction.

Not to forget that the customer might use "others'" information of what vehicle they have and what they need, which can cause further problems. Who's not been to a swap meet where YOU knew what a part was, but the seller said it was for another model or model year . . . trusting "their buddy who knows about those things" over a stranger (you)? Same thing happens in the parts business, too, with all due respect. Or a customer relies upon a vehicle inspection sticker for model year information rather than a body tag/plate?

So . . . one rule of thumb might be that if the vendor tends to have "known issues" with many others in phone or email orders/transactions, it might be best to take the trip to the major swap meets where this vendor will be with the intent of physically looking at the desired part prior to purchase. I've seen many ads in Hemmings where a vendor would take orders for pickup at these various swap meets, so if a vendor is one that has what you want (and it's typically the only place you can get it), you might make arrangements for these things to happen. Or even trek to their main location, if it's remotely nearby (maybe even on a long weekend vacation).

I know this might not be possible for our international associates, though, so an extra measure of investigation might be in order . . . even looking for other online sources for the same things (which might be available more places than just with the "one" vendor!).

Not to "plug" one of my favorite parts research places, but you'd be surprised what you'll find at www.rockauto.com in the model year coverage and availability of older parts. I've found some other online parts vendors that seem to be pretty good, too--just have to look for them.

One of YEAR ONE's attributes is that they assemble parts from other vendors (known industry leaders in quality and accuracy) and put them in their catalog for sale by YEAR ONE. One stop shopping, for sure, which many like. So, YEAR ONE can be a source of parts they have reproduced/licensed for reproduction themselves and those from other sources, too, plus some "daily" and supplemental hobby items. There are other highly established parts vendors for older vehicles, too, which greatly pre-date YEAR ONE and others.

It is easy to look at the vendors in the club magazine (any of them!) and think that because they advertise in the particular publications that they know about what they're selling, but this might not always the the case. By observation, there are "snakes" hiding in Hemmings just as there are many "good guys" in there too. It's always good to network with other similar enthusiasts about who has what and IF they know what they are doing and treat their customers well.

From decades in the parts side of things, these are reality issues and concerns--for vendors and customers alike.

Just some thoughts and observations . . .

Respectfully,

NTX5467

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes I did talk to the editor of the Buick Bugle, Pete, and he also stated that he was not satisfied with Cars Inc. customer service. I asked if I sent a letter of dissatisfaction, would it be printed in the Bugle? Pete said he doubted it, and that it would be better to send it to the BCA board in Columbus. </div></div>

KRW, Pete gave you the answer that I would have given you.

Send the national office an email or a letter and ask to have them distribute it to the Board. The address is in the Bugle or on the web page.

It will be discussed and you will make your feelings known. If enough of you all do that, action may be taken.

Understand,that one persons bad experience will not get it pulled from the Bugle. But if enough of you all write, something may be done.

Guest my3buicks

There are enough complaints in the history of the forums to back any and all claims. This issue has been raised way to many times in the past with the same results. Nothing happens.

Now don't get me wrong, I've had some iffy dealings with CARS, but as mentioned above they have the market cornered on some items. What do we do if they go away? I doubt there will be dancing in the streets, nobody really cares.

If you don't like what's on TV turn the channel, if you don't like CARS, buy (or try) elsewhere.

Mike

Bill,

In the past 15 years I have written 2 letters to the then President of the BCA with no response. One was in 1998 and the other letter was sent in 2003? I believe, I sent it to Pat Brooks I remember.

Both were civil letters simply asking that my concerns may be added to others, if there were any, and perhaps a contact or discussion could tak eplace with CARS, Inc.

The comment regarding BOD taking bribes under the table does not necessarily reflect the current BOD. Remember CARS, Inc. has been around awhile. There is a long standing position in place that CARS, Inc. is above the Golden Rule when it comes to inclusion in the Bugle and Hemmings as an advertising source.

Even if one of the other vendors for other makes (i.e. Fusicks, McKeys, Ames) started bad dealings from, say, new management now, it would take a few years to come around.

As Keith mentions later, in this forum, a simple search for CARS, Inc. will result is scores of complaints. But, if you need me to run a sample, I'll order a catalog (took me about 6 months to get one last time I tried, after being on the phone on hold for 20 minutes, 1st to be hung up on). Then I'll order 10 parts and see how many I ever I get and if they are close to what I need.

Kris, your comment that for every poor experience there are 2 good ones. If I performed my job at Wells Fargo with a 67 Per cent approval rating I would be fired within a year. They frown on customer satisfaction ratings in the 92 per cent range, let alone 66%.

Then in your next paragraph you say your experience with them is bad!

Ignorance or non action is not an excuse. The BOD gets together each year several times and discusses business important to the club. Vendors and their response to the members is a HUGE issue. Good, or great vendors - should be recognized, in my opinion - once a year at the Nationals.

Bad vendors, as has occasionally been done - should be banned from the Bugle. But Pete's comments are interesting. he doesn't want to be the one on record, in fact no one does. Glenn's got tremendous influence in the proverbial "smoke filled rooms" of the BCA that never reach the rank and file members of the BCA.

Mike,

EXACTLY the problem. They SEEM to have the market cornered. When you finally get one of their catalogs, and you are owner of full size Buick not covered by other vendors, you feel like you've died and gone to Heaven. But the burning flames licking at my heels say otherwise.

because they appear to have the market cornered, and it's tough to create this kind of a business in this day and age, they skate by. We are afraid to exclude them from the Bugle.

This is a VERY useful post; when you see their ads or their Web site, they look as if they are "all things Buick."

However, as I have also learned about some other sites and companies, the good will seems to end as soon as your credit card authorization clears the bank.

Thanks for the info.

One other thing.

I have had squirrelly dealings with EVERY Buick vendor except Bob's. Unfortunately, Bob doesn't have more than a handful of non-engine/ mechanical related parts for either of MY cars. I don't want to name names, but the two Buick only places on the left coast are AWFUL. One of them doesn't have a phone number and the other hardly exists and has zero inventory. Pay first and then wait til they get it shipped from CARS to them, then to you. The other old car place in New Jersey isn't much better, and frankly you can find the same stuff they sell at NAPA for a third of the price.

It was a huge surprise to me when I was doing my Wildcat and ordered the convertible parts from an Impala dealer. Nice dude, ridiculously cheap (compared to the Buick vendors) and all of my parts were there that week including my top. You know why? Competition. There are at least five Impala places I found when I was looking for these parts. I just picked one.

Lastly, when have you REALLY had good customer service RECENTLY?

Do you really want "Steve Johnson" with some eastern (non New Jersey) accent to be answering your phone calls next time you call CARS?

Mike

By observation, "customer service" seems to be something that many customers (people) seek but few really find. With the way business models seem to have changed (with succeeding generations coming online and doing things from their point of reference, typically, with all due respect) in the new Millennium, customer service seems to be at the pleasure of the seller and not the customer. And, these "new people in charge" don't seem to understand that people are doing business with them because they have to rather than because they WANT to--it's all business to them.

Also, customer service starts when the customer initiates contact with the business, not just when something goes awry in the transaction.

Unfortunately, "customer service" has gotten so out of whack (with the "modern" business model) that it is NOW the point of reference for "good business". If it's going to change, it will have to be done by those who remember what it used to be rather than what it is now!

I still do not like the perception that Glenn at CARS has some sort of mystical power over the BCA and its administration! I find it hard to believe that such a situation might exist! I would not justify that orientation on the fact that no response was received from a complaint letter(s) to the BOD operatives.

As 5563 noted, at some point in time, there will be some flaky dealings with any vendor-a percentage situation, of sorts. Key thing is to find the strong vendors with great product knowledge, good inventories, and great customer service attributes and patronize THEM--whether for old vehicle parts, new vehicle parts, or the vehicles themselves.

By observation, it's easy to find fault in most every aspect of our lives (and those we deal with) . . . AND to let everybody know about it.

I'll say that I have not had the opportunity to deal with CARS my self, but they obviously have some satisfied customers . . . somewhere. If CARS is the only source for what you need, buy them in person (or have an "agent" do it for you) or at swap meets they attend. It appears that what problems have existed are in things shipped out rather than purchased directly "in person".

Many of these customer service issues are acutely evident to those who are in the business of customer service and have been trained/seminared in that area (repeatedly)--AND evaluated for job performance in that area too. When somebody somewhere makes a misstep, it stands out like a pink car parked next to a green or black car--you're not going to miss it.

Perhaps if the BCA did a "Vendor's Report" where each BCA member-of-record did a questionnaire on their own Vendor experiences, that might have some bearing upon which vendors might need to be excluded from advertising in our club magazine? "Favorable", "Satisfactory", "Marginal", "Unsatisfacory", and "NOT Recommended" could be rating levels for purchase AND return items. Plus "Parts Right The First Time", "Parts Fairly Represented", "Prices Fair", "Quickly Received", and "Parts Packed Well to Prevent Damage in Shipment" would be "Yes" or "No". Then other aspects of the transaction experience could also be rated such that a comprehensive survey could be held and analyzed for all to see--including the vendors involved.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

I like the vendor's report idea. Ebay is doing a similar thing right now where you rate different aspects of your transaction (much like Willis is suggesting). I'm not sure exactly how you would "publish" the results, however.

I think one of the great things about this and other forums is (obviously) the exchange of information. How do you set the valve clearance, where do you get reproduction muffler bearings?

No matter what anybody says, the final decision is up to you, krw. We'll be here when you receive your muffler bearings (however long it takes and how damaged they were in shipping) to let you know exactly which direction the nub on the thingy faces before you ruin your fresh paint. wink.gif

They're just old cars folks, if it ain't fun try dominoes...

Mike

Thanks everybody for your input, I doubt I will do business with them agian but like you said the final decision is mine. I do also like the idea of vendor's report,but like buick5563 said I'm not exactly sure how it should be done. KRW

Willis,

That's a great idea regarding the vendor report. Pete focuses on a year of Buick quite often in the Bugle. Plus historical articles and members cars. But I can't remember an issue devoted to vendors.

Hemmings Classic cars (the magazine) features a vendor or service provider in about every issue. One was Clark's Corvair Parts, which, as many know, is famous for selling high quality upholstery kits for early Rivieras.

Once a year, Pete should devote the entire content of the Bugle to Buick vendors. There may be some obscure ones that don't get a lot of coverage that some members don't know about.

CARS, Inc. kind of reminds of a certain Seinfeld episode. I can't say which one - (but it involved a mustachioed soup vendor with a quick temper. "No gasket for you!"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buick5563</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now don't get me wrong, I've had some iffy dealings with CARS, but as mentioned above they have the market cornered on some items. What do we do if they go away? I doubt there will be dancing in the streets, nobody really cares.

If you don't like what's on TV turn the channel, if you don't like CARS, buy (or try) elsewhere.

Mike </div></div>

Turning the TV channel doesn't cost me one red cent. But as others have posted here, I'd have to "try CARS" to find I don't like CARS. And doing so seems to have cost quite a bit to some members in the past, like the $400+ expensive box. Sorry, but I'm not going to waste any of my money to find out if I like them or not. I'll heed this post's warning and not buy from them. Now I just wonder about ANY of the ads in the Bugle since this vendor hasn't been pulled yet.

Guest Dans 77 Limited

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3Jakes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bill,

In the past 15 years I have written 2 letters to the then President of the BCA with no response. One was in 1998 and the other letter was sent in 2003? I believe, I sent it to Pat Brooks I remember.

Both were civil letters simply asking that my concerns may be added to others, if there were any, and perhaps a contact or discussion could tak eplace with CARS, Inc.

The comment regarding BOD taking bribes under the table does not necessarily reflect the current BOD. Remember CARS, Inc. has been around awhile. There is a long standing position in place that CARS, Inc. is above the Golden Rule when it comes to inclusion in the Bugle and Hemmings as an advertising source.

Even if one of the other vendors for other makes (i.e. Fusicks, McKeys, Ames) started bad dealings from, say, new management now, it would take a few years to come around.

As Keith mentions later, in this forum, a simple search for CARS, Inc. will result is scores of complaints. But, if you need me to run a sample, I'll order a catalog (took me about 6 months to get one last time I tried, after being on the phone on hold for 20 minutes, 1st to be hung up on). Then I'll order 10 parts and see how many I ever I get and if they are close to what I need.

</div></div>

While I agree that during certain time periods (one mentioned in your post) the board has been less than responsive,(Im still angry about something that one of the past BCA presidents mentioned in your post more or less just rolled over on, ignoring my chapter and our concerns creating years of problems for my chapter)it is not their problem. It is not the board of directors problem to make the vendors honest. I also think that having Pete dedicate space in the bugle to "rate " vendors or more or less tantamount to giving them free advertising. In all of my dealings with Pete Phillips I have found him to be an honest man, and would seriously question the judgement of anyone who thinks Pete is influenced by the concerns of those who would hurt the BCA.

Instead I would propose more of a "vendors watchdog" feature in the Bugle. Where you would inform the Bugle of your concerns and have a rep from the bugle contact the vendor in question to get their response concerning your problem, knowing full well that both the problem and their response to it will be presented to the entire BCA in print.If cars is giving you poor service and dont give a satisfactory reply concerning the problem ... the whole BCA will know it. It could create accountability for the vendors and maybe even improve vendor relations if they know this is going on.The vendors would also have a forum to defend themselves from false or malevolent claims

This could be a time consuming task... but for now Ive got time on my hands , Pete , if you would like to set this up I would be happy to volunteer as the 1st Bugle rep in this service. Just to keep it honest I also feel that the rep should be changed every year or 2 just so the vendors and the bugle rep dont get too well acquainted.

Would this solve immediate problems ... probably not due to publishing deadlines etc. But it could make the vendors wary of not pleasing the customer knowing eventually the problem and the solution were both put into print and placed in front of the BCA member who may be looking for parts the very day they receive their Bugle .

Opinions? Ideas ?

Dan

Guest imported_Thriller

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3Jakes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Once a year, Pete should devote the entire content of the Bugle to Buick vendors. There may be some obscure ones that don't get a lot of coverage that some members don't know about. </div></div>

I like the idea of somehow rating vendors or having a rep obtain problem / response / resolution printed in the Bugle, but I think an entire issue would be too much. There are only 12 a year...one is already devoted to modifieds, one is the annual meet edition (although I don't recall if this occupies the entire magazine or not). I think a page or two each issue, especially if a larger edition with more pages goes through, should be sufficient.

Perhaps a "Disclaimer", in a somewhat prominent location in the front of the magazine, to the effect . . .

"In this publication, you will see advertisements from various vendors of parts and services for Buicks. The BCA, in NO way, sanctions or controls these vendors' operations or business activities--period. Proceed at your own risk.

There are many great vendors in the vintage vehicle and Buick vehicle hobby! Yet, unfortunatelly, there are a few that seem to have a track record of problems in their dealings with customers. Please let us know, positive or negative, what your assessment of the vendors you've dealt with might be."

I know I made the suggestion for a survey, which has been done by others in the past, but it should be recognized that customer satisfaction issues are a highly moveable playing field situation. Yet, there can be some definite trends. Still, it can be HIGHLY "point of reference" in nature, with all due respect.

I don't know that the BCA ought to get involved as a mediator of sorts between members and vendors. It could be good to be a BBB sort of watchdog, but with no real "death sentence" (other than BCA magazine advertising priviledges) to hang over their head, what might sound ominous on the surface would turn out to be much less so in the end. Obviously, THEY have options, just that we might take one option away might not be very significant to them.

I do feel that some sort of survey could be a good deal, but I concur that it should be as an article rather than a whole issue of the magazine. Plus, with a disclaimer that mention of the vendor is not meant to be advertising in any way, just a mention that they exist.

The other KEY thing is that all surveys should be oriented "without malice" (IF that's possible) and toward simple facts rather than letting emotions get involved (if THAT's possible, too). There could be some litigatory issues to be resolved BEFORE any such survey could be printed or distributed.

Perhaps . . . the survey could be tied-in with the BCA BOD ballots next time???? Possibly a "hook" to get more member involvement in the election???? Plus to make sure "one survey to a customer" . . .

Enjoy!

NTX5467

Guest edalfa

I don't think that accepting advertisment in any way infers endorsement of the vendor. The BCA should not be in the position of filtering advertisers based on the input of a few folks. I used to work in the old car industry (non Buick) and we had a few customers that we refered to as NOS for "Not Often Satisfied". While that undoubtedly doesn't apply to this speciic situation, it would be a lot to ask of the BCA to have to sort out which is which.

Ed

Guest imported_MrEarl

I'm with you on this Ed. I don't think the BCA/Bugle can afford to play judge and jury over vendors and lend themselves to possible libel by suspending or denying advertising to questionable vendors. I really don't think any good would come out of such actions. In fact I believe it would only bring on more dissension and discord amongst the members and vendors. Let the dog rabid lay in the road, he'll get ran over by a transfer truck soon enough.

Guest unclefogey

When I first started ordering parts two years ago for my '41, I went to CARS for some unknown reason. Can't say that I ever had a problem with their parts, just with the unfriendly attitude of the guy answering the phone and being put on hold, not to mention the frustration of their ordering website not working half the time.

Somewhere along the line, after trying without success to order from CARS online, I decided to try Bob's and I haven't used CARS since. I was taken by the friendliness, helpfulness and positive attitude of the guy who answers the phone and takes the order. Before starting out for Seattle, the outfit that rebuilt my engine said they needed a pushrod galley cover gasket to stop an oil leak which was communicated to me at 1:00 P.M. CDT on Wednesday with my departure scheduled for zero dawn thirty on Friday. Told them to try Bob's and it arrived at 10:30 A.M. Thursday.

When the fleabay purchased fuel pump died in the thriving metropolis of Bowman, ND at 5:30 A.M. on Saturday and the replaced pump that I had brought along as a spare didn't have my complete confidence, I ordered a backup on Monday at 8:01 A.M. somewhere on US 2 between Spokane and Seattle. The friendly guy said it would be in Seattle the next day, and it was.

I am hooked by their service. If the BCA had a place for positive vendor testimonials, I would submit this.

Guest unclefogey

Bill,

It is the black and silver mod. 46 business coupe. It appears in the background of one of the meet's pictures posted on this site. I was only at the meet Wednesday, Thursday and Friday morning because I wanted to do some sightseeing and have a cushion for possible problems before having to return to work. 4,100 very hot roundtrip miles.

John

John,

That's too bad your route should have been quite nice in mid-July.

Bill,

John's story points out the highs and lows of two of the largest general parts suppliers selling to BCA members. Can you imagine CARS, Inc. providing the kind of insane customer service that Bob's did?

There are several good used parts Buick vendors out there, suhc as Wheatbelt and a couple in California, but there is a real void in the kind of catch all parts clearinghouse providers for about 1954 to 1977.