1941 Century Model 61

Chrysler300XMan

After ten years of ownership, my 83 year-old father has decided to sell his 1941 Century four-door sedan. Sold new in Butler, Pennsylvania, Harold Zulick of Houtzdale, PA came to purchase the Century from the family of the original owner. At the time of purchase from Harold, the Century did not run, but my father and I installed a new set of black wall tires, and had the following items serviced: radiator, generator, starter, water pump, distributor, fuel pump and brakes, with the master cylinder re-sleeved by White Post. A new gas tank and exhaust system were installed, and the oil pan and sump were removed and cleaned.  The engine runs strong with no indication of an exhaust leak.

Mileage as indicated on the odometer reads 25,630. My father and I believe the mileage is correct due to a lack of wear on the front seal and pedals, presence of the original spark plug wires at the time of purchase and the fact that the carburetors have never been opened up. There is no documentation to confirm or refute the mileage.

In 2008, Terry Dunham decoded the firewall tag. He determined that the car's production date was Thursday, July 3rd, 1941. The frame number is 1 4239442, the engine number is 64397916, body number is 9629, body style number is 41-4609, paint is 565 Lancaster Gray and the trim code is 913 . Code 913 was a standard Limited interior trim offering. The original owner paid  extra to have a blue and gray wool broadcloth interior installed in the Century. As far as Terry Dunham could determine this was the only Century documented to have a 913 interior trim code.

My father is moving and wants to sell the Century and parts (used and NOS) as  a package only. The Century needs a full restoration due to poor storage over the decades. Repainted in a 1957 Cadillac blue in 1958, the Lancaster Gray paint is still visible on the firewall.  We removed the rear bumper, valance and fenders, but they are with the car. Only items missing that we know of are the jack assembly and tool kit. We drilled out the spot welds and removed the rocker panels as they were rusty.

NOS parts include one parking lamp assembly, tail lamp lenses, two hub caps, left and right rear gravel guards, upper driver's door moulding, left and right rocker panel mouldings, starter and generator armatures, one set of king pins, three head lamp assemblies (two are missing bulbs), front and rear Carter carburetors, one tail panel with the weatherstripping rail cut out of it, left windshield wiper post and three Carter overhaul kits. Used parts include a rocker arm assembly, air cleaner lid, push rods and some other miscellaneous items. Used Buick accessories include a rebuilt Sonomatic radio, under seat heater (original to the car), one pair of fender guards (aka, elephant ears), one set of factory fender skirts with long spears and mouldings (plus another set of skirts for restoring the first pair), Buick No-Rol (NOS kit that was installed), windshield washer set-up with NOS nozzles and post-war fog lamps with an NOS switch.

The Century is located in New Britain, PA, USA. Asking price for the package is $15,500 or best reasonable offer. If interested or have questions, then send a PM and I will provide you with my father's contact information. Thank you.

1941Buick1a.jpg

1941Buick4a.jpg

1941Buick6a.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It seems you're serious about getting the car sold. It might be time to do some research into what a car in its condition is worth. This is basically a #5 car, and not the most desirable body style. I'll leave it to you to check the value guides. It'd be a shame for you to be insulted by what is actually a fair offer.

Good luck.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I know exactly what my father and I paid for the Century ten years ago and it was a number significantly above the price of a "#5 car". Harold Zulick placed an ad in Hemmings, we traveled to his home, inspected the car and paid his price based on the rarity of the interior option and the low mileage on the odometer. We performed a lot of work to get the car running and it runs well--no blue smoke out the tail pipe and no known exhaust leaks. At the time, Terry Dunham agreed that it was the only Century known with the 913 (Limited Series) interior code. We accumulated additional accessories and NOS parts over the years. Yes, it is rusty and a four-door sedan, but there is not another 1941 Century out there with a two-tone, wool broadcloth interior, to my knowledge. Additionally, I have already done my research as I consulted with one 1941 Buick expert on the car's value prior to placing the ad. Thank you. 

• Thanks 1

I have been looking for a 40' or 41' big series Buick for a few months now and while this car is within my budget its too rough. I have seen several other Century sedans in better condition for about the same money or not much more. Even though it runs it still needs everything done before it can be used so it is still a project car. Maybe not a 5 but not really a 4 either. The interior is unusual but I dont personally think it adds value just because it might be the only one. I would not pay extra for it and Im your target market. I would accept any interior in good condition but wouldnt pay extra just because its a special order. For example theres a very nice 1941 Century sedan on Hemmings now for about $20,000 thats in much nicer condition and is ready to enjoy. Its on the other side of the country from me or I probly would of bought it already. It would take much more than $10,000 to make your car as nice as that one. I would gladly pay twice as much for a finished car rather than this project is what everyone is getting at. That is why you are getting some pushback on the price. Its still a project car but its priced almost like a driver. What you're father paid for it 10 years ago doesnt really play into what it is worth today especially since he took it apart. Please dont get offended or defensive about the comments people are really trying to help. But people are also not foolish with they're money and you will struggle to find someone willing to take on this project at that price thats all they are saying.

Just some tips from a guy who has been studying these cars pretty hard for a few months now. Good luck!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Pete Phillips said:

In the seller's defense, I completely disagree that this is a #5 car. A #5 car is a rough parts car that does not run or drive. You must have missed this statement by the seller above:

The engine runs strong with no indication of an exhaust leak.

My apologies to the seller if he thought I thought his car was only good for parts. I'm basing my evaluation on the Old Cars Report Guide. I should've mentioned that. They use #5 as designation of a "Restorable" car, and #6 as designation of a Parts Car. While the motor's running without an exhaust leak, I think the other criteria for a "Restorable" car match the seller's description. It's mentioned there's no way to attach the rear fenders or bumper due to rust, and it's at least possible the rust isn't restricted to the fender and bumper mounts. The brightwork needs refurbishing. It's not a parts car, and I didn't mean to imply it was, but it does need a lot of love. A special buyer might attach value to the "Limited" interior, but I think most would overlook that item.

• 2 weeks later...

I have sold cars in the past where I had developed a history with the car. This is difficult, as you have the connection with your father and the car. Several people have given you some good advice and I think that if you take a step back and look at the car objectively you will see the merits in their comments. Best of luck selling the car

Mike 

• Like 1

This is an example of rarity not equaling value.  Rarity plus desirability equals value.  I hope the seller finds someone who loves the interior as much as he and his father do.  The person who does will pay a good price.  If you are in a hurry to sell, that will make finding that person difficult.  Best of luck.  The car deserves a good home.

I personally think the special order interior is awesome.  I would pay a premium for it, but not a big one.  

Now, if this was a 57 Century ordered with upholstery from a Roadmaster 75, I would attach a sizeable premium to it.  Of course that's partially because I am partial to 57's, but also because it's a significantly different interior.