New Trend on eBay?

Harold

Bidding wars. The first time I used Ebay, maybe 1997, I put up a bid on some of those old Monkey link tire chains. A message came back telling me I had entered a bidding war between other bidders. I guess they did that back then "to engage and excite" the buyer. I closed the page and never came back until the end of 1998.

Looks like I have been watching their antics and business misperceptions for 20 years now. Run by blind squirrels at the right place at the right time.

It's nothing new, I used to get lowball offers on project cars all the time.  I got one a few weeks ago on an old dealer promo car, so I raised the bid price on it.  I spend some time researching what they bring before I set a price.  eBay doesn't get the flakes it used to, but it still gets some.  

And I'm not going to lower the prices on things like brand new $150 retail items I have listed for $110, that are already the cheapest ones on eBay, either.  

I think I've contacted one seller with what I thought was an excessive "Buy it Now" price, especially as I didn't need most of the package lot, and politely suggested that, if he wasn't able to get his price, I would give him X. In the end, he did get it with a single bid which was fine with me. For the most part, I find ebay tedious. I am looking for brass car stuff and about 98% of it is either wretched and overprices or just overpriced. I particularly like the "rare" electric side lights for 14-18 Cadillacs... there must be 50 sets of lights for every extant car but somehow they are all "rare."

That said, I've found it very useful for used or surplus industrial equipment. A $150 reamer might cost $35. Were it not for ebay, I'd have a very hard time affording the tooling I use in my shop. I don't think I've ever buy a car that way - unless it was such a wreck that the seller couldn't be exaggerating the condition.

On 7/17/2018 at 3:42 PM, knobless said:

I told her why don’t you drop your commission price, she said oh no I can’t do that,,, ,,right!!!!!!

It's not that she couldn't lower her commission, more so that she and her broker didn't want to do that. 

One of the first things they teach to persons looking to obtain a Real Estate Agent License in my state, is that Commission Rates are Negotiable!!!!!

It's been interesting to watch what evil-bay has been doing.  I also have noted that items "disappear" rather quickly.  Even as an active bidder I can no longer see where I was in the pecking order for item's I've lost.  I'm sure many of us miss the opportunity to research items that have sold to see prices or get some clue as to who is buying (even that's more difficult these days).  Perhaps they got tired of their info being used for that purpose and will eventually want us to pay a subscription to access that kind of info.  Another way to make money I guess, but hey, it's capitalism. 

Lately I've noted a new game - put a minimum bid on an item and then add "make an offer."  What they want you to do is offer more than the minimum bid suggested.  I think once someone actually bids on the item though, that "make an offer" option disappears.  it backfired recently for one seller.  He listed a neat item of automobilia for $75 and had a "make an offer" option on it.  I made two offers - all the way up to $105 and neither were accepted.  So, I just put it on my automatic sniping program and ended up buying it for $80.  Bet he felt an "aw-crap" moment over that one.  probably made a good profit anyway.  

It all just ads some excitement to the wonderful world of collecting, but I do wish it was easier to research items no longer listed.  Like others have mentioned, what they suggest has no relationship at all to my interests.

Terry

39 minutes ago, mercer09 said:

Terry,

on the top of the page, you can go to advanced search, hit completed or sold items and do a search from there. not too difficult..........

Sort of makes sense on their end, they don't make money off of stuff already sold, they hope you pull the trigger on the item they show that is still for bid or sale, not that I agree with it, Just a matter of time before they charge a buyers premium