USA Liberty truck parts

blastermike

Hi,  probably a long shot but looking for mainly mechanical parts for two 1918 series two Liberty truck restorations,  rad/engine gearbox/sheetmetal, any leads appreciated, and more or less any condition would be considered, thanks in advance, mike Cameron.

photos from my phone may 14 (949).jpg

• Like 1

Liberty trucks were U.S. government pattern trucks built to specs that would allow for interchangeability between the, roughly, 15 manufacturers.........mostly.

You might try checking out the two links to reach the right audience.

https://www.travelwisconsin.com/events/history-heritage/central-wisconsin-military-show-142690

https://www.facebook.com/events/1121109068016934/

History of >>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberty_truck

Hi Jonathan, any engine make would do, the more complete truck has the Waukesha and most others ive seen have continentals, the other chassis I have is rolling with a diff and steering box only, I bought the whole lot from Spokane Washington 4 yrs ago and trucked/shipped it all way down here, seems a waste of effort not to try and make the spare chassis a worthwhile project I reckon, this wasn't my first plan but now seems to make more sense, to me anyway. so yes please let me know what you may have available, you can pm me if you like ?

look forward to hearing from you, cheers mike.

Log on to the military vehicle forum in the UK, there is a group of guys who only restore "lorries from the Great War", they have contacts all over the world. Look up Thornycroft restoration on google and it will take you directly to them. Nice bunch of fellows, Cheers!

• Like 1

Mike......It’s likely you will find more parts overseas than you will find here in the States. Pierce Arrow built thousands of trucks for the war, and almost all the survivors are still overseas. Virtually none were returned home. Ed

Hi Edinmass,  yes you are correct but I still think there are more Liberty trucks and parts of these trucks to be found in the states, in the last 4 yrs about 1/2 a dozen have come up for sale in the states and Canada, I almost got the complete front half of one in Idaho about 3 yrs ago but the owner of it wanted more money for it after we had struck a deal so it fell through unfortunately, I also kmow of 3 other libertys owned by museums that will never be sold but are slowly rotting/rusting into the ground, I see your a pierce arrow man, I have a 1926 model XA 2 ton long wheelbase PA truck, its fairly complete but needs total restoration, paul Jacobs in NY helped me to acquire it, I must be mad, I shipped it all the way to the bottom of the world!! 

cheers mike.

This is one of the two or three Liberty trucks we worked on.

One was a White (which might be the one in the photo) and I don't recall the other except there was a big, brass, SELDEN tag on the dash of one of the others.

One had a Continental engine and one had a Waukesha.

There was a fourth, only a mess, consisting of not much more than a badly mangled chassis which wouldn't roll.

untitled2usa.jpg

Hi Craig, thanks for the picture, I have seen this one before on the net somewhere, got to be some parts somewhere?  just got to keep on looking/asking,

cheers mike.  p.s  that badly mangled chassis did it have the cast steel rear wheels?  i'm needing one steel wheel. it may still be in some ones junkpile?

• Like 1

You are a very ambitious fellow when it comes to the early trucks.  I have run across an 20's White and a mid 20's Mack but neither are as early as what you are after, (and not USA trucks).  I do have some 24"  Firestone rim parts that may work on your projects.  Do you have any leads on teens Kissell truck parts?

Al

10 hours ago, blastermike said:

Hi Craig, thanks for the picture, I have seen this one before on the net somewhere, got to be some parts somewhere?  just got to keep on looking/asking,

cheers mike.  p.s  that badly mangled chassis did it have the cast steel rear wheels?  i'm needing one steel wheel. it may still be in some ones junkpile?

Sorry to tell you but that "junk" chassis likely got scrapped as it was passed on the auction....... :( 

• 1 year later...

Since we're  on the subject again, can anyone advise:

(A) I thought the Class B Liberty ALWAYS came with the Cont'l (supposedly the Cont'l  B2)...are the trucks with the Wauks and Wiscs different "class" (size, etc?) trucks OR Class bs with engines supplied by Wauk and Wisc but built to the B2 pattern??

(B) what are the Wauk and Wisc IDs if separate, different  engines..

(C) as to the B2, has anyone determined whether the POSTWAR B2s installed in civilian trucks is the same as the military B2?? (inquiry to Club remains unanswered, possibly because their expert on TDY until 2021)...

Mike,

A friend of mine has a museum in Craig Colorado and he has a restored Liberty.  But in the spare parts repository there are parts for a couple more of them. I was going to trade him out of them but that hasn't happened yet. He wants some 03 Cad parts that I have. They had the Waukesha engines,the only extra crankcase got to Arizona for some reason and hasn't come back. I don't have any pictures or other details,this has mostly been over the phone. Maybe PM me and we'll see what comes together. I've had trouble finding msg's in this system and responding but sometimes I get it done. 

Steve

Hi steve

pm sent

Hi bud, from what i know the class B engines were made to a patern and there were 4 makers involved from memory

continental/hercules/wauhesha  and hinkley, i think some made the crankcase and some made pistons etc and some made the cylinders etc, they all should be the 52 h/p B class engine, Bud im no expert,  But i think thats how it went, also ive seen the smaller aviation i think class A truck with this same engine in it, so not sure if the class size ? determines the engine if you know what i mean, mine has waukesha on the engine tag and ive seen a lot more continentals and only one hinkley, i think hercules only made the pistons? from what ive read but i could be wrong, sorry i cant help anymore

cheers mike

Edited by blastermike (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...