Vacuum Tank performance

Wheelmang

My 1926 DB 6V continues to have trouble staying running. All electrical, coil, primary wire, plug wires, points, condenser are replaced new. My carb is totally rebuilt. It will start up just fine although I need to keep it running long enough to get to the distributor and fine tune timing. It runs just long enough for me to get it off choke and timing advance/retard and smooth out. It then starts to race up and sounds like it runs out of gas and will not start again. At some point a PO has placed a fuel filter in line. When I get ready to start it up I pour a couple ounces of No E fuel in the top of the vacuum tank and replace the cap. This is done as it does not appear to have run long enough to pull gas from the back to fill up the fuel filter. The gas tank has been removed and is completely clean. The gas line is clear. I have blown it out from the front and the back ends and there is no restriction. 

What are the characteristics of a failed vacuum tank?

Should the vacuum tank have sufficient draw to pull fuel through a filter?

Should I be looking at a 6V electric pump?

Thanks all for your valued opinions.

Paul

I hesitate to criticise the vacuum tank set up because I know that if you have a good working example they are very reliable; more so than an electric pump... but I too have been having problems with my (Stewart Warner) vacuum tank.  The problem that I have (I think) is neat fuel being drawn down the vacuum line directly into the inlet manifold so a lack of suction is not to blame. In my case  I suspect the inlet valve in the top may be faulty.   If you have air tight fittings there should be no problem in drawing fuel from the tank  - after all, that is what it is designed to do and was successful for many makes of car over many years.  

Ray.

On 12/29/2017 at 1:26 AM, Taylormade said:

Why not hook up a small, gravity fed fuel tank?  If the car keeps running, you'll know it's the vacuum tank that is the problem.

I keep forgetting the simplicity of these cars. That just makes a whole lot of sense! Thanks.

• Like 1

Special thanks to JFranklin and HDDennis for posting the manuals. After reading through them a couple times each I stumbled onto what is likely the problem. When I removed cleaned and reinstalled the gas tank I replaced the disintegrated cork seal under the gas cap. Did not realize it was supposed to have small holes in it. 5a495d25e7570_Gascap.JPG.fd8cc0a6da70ab7401237137cd5c3831.JPG

Can someone also tell me where the vacuum line for the windshield wiper is supposed to connect?

Thanks for your assistance.