Hagerty.com Riviera articles

NC1968Riviera

I don't know if these articles have been pointed out previously

Collectible Classic - 1971-73 Buick Riviera

by Bob Merlis // September 04, 2003

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2003/09/04/collectible-classic-1971-73-buick-riviera

Why aren’t 1963-73 Buick Rivieras worth more?

by Paul Duchene // April 14, 2017

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2017/04/14/buick-riviera

Five Of The Most Elegant American Cars (includes 63-65 Riviera at #1)

by Rob Sass // October 22, 2014

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2014/10/22/elegant-american-cars

Thanks.

I just read the "Why aren't 1963-73 Buick Rivieras Worth More," article, if you could call it that.

It is a very good question, and I have asked this many times, yet this article does little to show how special these cars are, but instead just reaffirms low prices. Not well written at all IMO. The numbers he uses does not even line up with Hagerty price guides and are certainly on the low side.

A good conditioned Gran Sport 65 is easily worth double what he quotes ($30K) for example and then there are statements like: "There’s little interest in 1966-69 models, due to the Toronado’s FWD cachet." It would make sense to say there is less interest in these Riviera years, but geez...

I guess this guy writes a bunch of articles on why so and so cars are not worth more, and I appreciate the contribution, however I may want to ask the question: "Why don't Hagerty articles have a higher standard???"

The FWD Toronado was not exactly a winner, and the conventional RWD Riviera was much more reliable and desirable.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and 2nd generation Riviera are very distinctive,  with a design that still looks pleasing today compared to some current styling trends.

Long and low with plenty of torque - they just don't get any better imho !

• Like 2

I calculated 12.3 MPG on my last fill up. Most of the miles were highway miles, not around town driving.

I filled up with 93 octane non-ethanol gas on my last fill up. Hopefully I may see a bit of an improvement in MPG. (?)

Edited by NCRiviera (see edit history)

What you should also look at is miles per dollar spent on fuel.  If you're engine is not pinging on the lower grade of fuel, there's really no need to "step up."  Youll probably not see any increase in your mpg's between grades. I'd be willing to bet youd see a decrease in mpg's. Probably not due to the fuel, but because you'll want to get heavy with your right foot seeing as how you're less likely to get pre-ignition with the higher octane gas.

Now, it's time for me to get a new life.  If you'll look under my picture to your left, you'll see that this is my 10,000th post. HELP!!

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, RivNut said:

What you should also look at is miles per dollar spent on fuel.  If you're engine is not pinging on the lower grade of fuel, there's really no need to "step up."  Youll probably not see any increase in your mpg's between grades. I'd be willing to bet youd see a decrease in mpg's. Probably not due to the fuel, but because you'll want to get heavy with your right foot seeing as how you're less likely to get pre-ignition with the higher octane gas.

Now, it's time for me to get a new life.  If you'll look under my picture to your left, you'll see that this is my 10,000th post. HELP!!

Ed

Thanks for all the good posts Mr. Ed.

We are indebted. 

Please keep them going.

• Like 1

OK Ed, you asked for help so here it is.........very slowly and precisely get up from your chair and very calmly back away from your keyboard.

Once you are in another room and have taken a tranquilizer, get another family member to unplug your monitor and keyboard and hide them where you can't find them. Cold Turkey is the best way to go!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

13 hours ago, NCRiviera said:

I calculated 12.3 MPG on my last fill up. Most of the miles were highway miles, not around town driving.

I filled up with 93 octane non-ethanol gas on my last fill up. Hopefully I may see a bit of an improvement in MPG. (?)

If your worried about your MPG - maybe you shouldn't own, or drive a RIVIERA ! LOL

BTW: High octane, or Avgas is the only way to go ! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Okay, are we here really worried about GAS MILEAGE???

Once, I decided I'd find out what mileage my '65 GS could do on a long trip.  I used all the tricks I'd heard about in those gas company mileage challenges in the early '70's : no jackrabbit starts, go easy on the throttle, no passing, keep it under 60 mph.  I might of even slid the trans into neutral on one or two long downhill grades. The best I could muster was 16mpg driving to Oregon steady-state on the I-5 freeway.  Not bad for a dual quad motor with 3.42 gears, in what isn't a lightweight car.  Another time I tested my mileage on a combo of mostly urban driving, with no specific effort to economize.  That time the average was about 12mpg.

Someone once told me that gas is the cheap part of owning a collector car.  I think there is some truth in that.

• Like 2