How do you handle an unsolicited offer?

Yes, it all depends on whether you're willing to let the car go.

I own a car near and dear to my heart.  A really good friend called me up one day and asked if I'd sell it to him.  I said no.  He asked if he could make an offer, I said sure, and he made a very good offer for the time.  I told him thank you, but no, and his comment was along the lines of "oh, then you REALLY don't want to sell it!".

As an aside, it's the same friend who previously had bought at least three cars from me, but they were just passing interests on my part, not keepers.  Yes, he knows who he is!!

As stated above if you think you can live without the car have some value set in your mind as to what the car should be worth on the open market and listen to offers.

If you feel that you really don't want to sell the car remember that "Everything is for sale for the right price"

Even so let someone make an offer and if it is a "ridiculous" offer - go from there.

In the end it all comes down to whether or not you could "move on" from the car.

Consider the offer a true compliment.

If you have no intention of selling in the next several years,

it's courteous to tell that politely to the offerer.

Otherwise, get his contact information and file it.

Maybe you've run into a similar car in your travels,

and can point the interested party to that other car.

Meeting and knowing people with similar interests

comes naturally with our hobby.

• Like 1

All good words gents thanks!

When I purchased it, my intention was to keep it and not flip it or turn it over, just building a collection (first generation Mustangs). Now if I do let it go, I'm tasked with finding something as good or better to replace it, and the good ones are becoming difficult to find. 

I've gotten a lot of that same type of interest with my 87 Monte Carlo SS Aerocoupe. When I take it to shows around the area, people always say things like "I had one just like that in High School". I chuckle to myself knowing that the possibility that they had one of 6052 cars is low (most likely they just had an SS). One guy particularly wanted to buy it and then tried to point out all the flaws in the car to try to lower the price (yeah, I know 30 year old paint from GM in the 80s wasn't great, but you don't have to tell me about it). So when he finally got around to asking if I would sell it, I was already upset and threw out a number that only somebody with too much money and not enough sense would pay for it (more than you would pay for an all original low mileage car or well above the price for my high mileage all original car). I'm sure he said something about my high price, but it is all about the perceived value of the car. Yeah, I know what I paid for it (probably a little much) 5 years ago, but it is the car I wanted since I was 13. I had spent 12 years looking for and saving for the right car. The car has a very unique past and lots of documentation. And I just love it more than I really care about money. Is the car for sale? Absolutely, but the value is the actual value + my perceived value + my emotional connection to the car. Some times people just have to realize that car guys can be very passionate and aren't willing to let their "babies" go for anything less than what they want. I respect that when I look at other peoples cars and look to build my collection. If its out of what I want to pay, its a real simple conversation, complement the guy on his car and walk away. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2017 at 12:33 PM, maok said:

That's not how you negotiate.

The purchaser is in a rather weak position to negotiate if the seller is not motivated to sell. Been on both sides -Ended up paying more than I should  and receiving  more than I should on each deal. Ironically was on the same car -still regret selling it ! -Karl 

• Haha 1

I have it happen a few times, and my reply was "you have to want it more then me" and it is going to take a lot to make me let it go" They usually leave, I feel most of them are looking to get a good car for a cheap price, however I do have two people who have said if you ever go to sell it I would like first shot, and they know that it will be a market price.

Come to think of it it is a good problem to have 

• Like 2