What are people using for onboard storage?

David_Leech

What, if anything, are others using for storage on these cars? Mine is a 28 Standard Six. There is NO storage. Ok, there is a small amount under the passenger seat, but it's really difficult to get the bench up and it's very shallow. I want to drive prepared with some basic tools, fluids, spare parts etc. I searched for rear mount luggage rack, almost non existent. I suppose I could make a smallish metal box to sit under the hood beside the engine for fluids, might affect cooling though.

Any thoughts?

Ah, the perennial question of 1920s car owners!  First, look in your Owner's Manual or Parts Manual and see what tools your car came with--those were stowed under the front seat and/or rear seat cushions.  At minimum, these included tire changing equipment (jack, handle/lug wrench), and perhaps a tool roll--and maybe a small (one-handed) grease gun.  I like to squeeze in a 12' x 12" piece of scrap plywood as a jack base. If you're not having your tools inspected for technical judging, use modern items (scissors jack PLUS a bottle jack, and a modern roll containing most-used hand tools.  Add electrical tape, bypass wire with alligator clips, and a cheap VOM. 

Oil:  If you use an Optima battery, there will room in the battery box for at least two one-quart plastic oil bottles, which also serve to keep the battery in position.

Coolant:  I carry a gallon drinking water jug (full) in the back seat, which doesn't look out of place, and works for the car or you, whichever is needier.  Water pump grease: I'm old enough to have saved plastic 35mm film canisters, and I fill one with water pump grease. Perhaps a second film canister for conventional grease for grease cups--but mark contents.

Parts:  A distributor cap box will hold a replacement cap, a set of points, condenser, and a rotor, and often one spark plug. Tear up a paper towel or two to pad the smaller items.

When looks aren't important (touring), I carry my tools, paper towels, hand cleaner, etc) in a milk crate in the back seat.  If looks ARE important, acquire a telescoping (accordion-style) running board rack (plentiful at swap meets) and a old soft-leather suitcase (second-hand stores) narrow enough to fit between the rack and the outer edge of a door.  BE SURE to tie the suitcase down....

8 hours ago, JFranklin said:

Some had trunk racks and trunks, others used a running board retracting/expanding fence or even an attached tool box. Coupes of course had a trunk.

I've got both of these on my '24...the toolbox bolts onto bottom of runningboard and within the retracting runningboard luggage rack on the other side of car I keep a vintage picnic basket that holds a gal. of water  and a small fire extinguisher.

I had the same problem with my Senior on tours, especially when we had other people riding with us. I could not find a trunk rack that would fit so I build a box that mounts inside the spare tire and bolts onto the spare tire mounting bolts so it is easy to put on and take off. It is big enough to hold some tools, oil, water, rags, etc. I tried to make it look period even though there probably was nothing like it ever made for the car. Most people just think it was an accessory available at the time. It at least gets stuff out of the way of the people in the back seat and I can easily remove it when I do not need it..

Box 1.jpg

box 2.jpg

• Like 5

On my 23 I have a spare tire mounted on the side and I made a round storage trunk to fit in the rim and tire.  On the outside I put a vintage ad.

On one of my cars the prior owner had put in an electric fuel pump.  I used the vac tank to hold tools and small part  Sever of my cars have storage in the doors.  My Moon has storage under the seat for storage of side curtains.

22 hours ago, RWPerry said:

I had the same problem with my Senior on tours, especially when we had other people riding with us. I could not find a trunk rack that would fit so I build a box that mounts inside the spare tire and bolts onto the spare tire mounting bolts so it is easy to put on and take off. It is big enough to hold some tools, oil, water, rags, etc. I tried to make it look period even though there probably was nothing like it ever made for the car. Most people just think it was an accessory available at the time. It at least gets stuff out of the way of the people in the back seat and I can easily remove it when I do not need it..

Box 1.jpg

box 2.jpg

This is an elegant solution. I will see what I can come up with as my spare only attaches with one fastener