SOLD -- 1955 Buick Super, $6K, north FL

Guest MV10

SOLD

1955 Buick Super

$6,000 OBO
Clear title, non-smoker owner
Green exterior, green interior
VIN 5B5056377

322 cid Fireball V8, Dyanflow auto trans, factory power steering, power windows, power brakes, under-seat heaters, power antenna. Amazing options list for 1955. Drives like a modern new car. Many upgrades, many spares. All lights/signals work. Factory AM radio works and sounds great. Project car, needs TLC, rough interior, not running (got sidetracked by other car projects). Moving, no room at new place, must sell. Pictures are with old original chrome.

NEW PARTS / UPGRADES:
$3000+ in new front & rear chrome (not installed)
Pertronix electronic ignition conversion
New fuel tank and lines
New front shocks
Rear tube-shock conversion
New headlights
Re-cored radiator, new radiator hoses throughout
Rebuilt power steering pump
Rebuilt power brake vacuum reservoir
Under 1000 miles on Firestone whitewall tires
New wheel bearings
New brake shoes, drums, and cylinders on all wheels
New front suspension bushings
Electric wiper motors
Rebuilt fuel pump (not installed)
Alternator (not installed)
Extra hubcaps, hood vents, lenses, other spare parts

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

Edited by MV10 (see edit history)

Sale is pending... and actually, two more inquiries lined up behind it.

Sure hope she doesn't wind up parted out.

Told my wife if I could just keep one, I'd pick the non-running Buick over the 60 Impala and the Viper.

• 2 weeks later...

FYI everyone, the 55 Super is still available.

Had a friend thinking about it, but his 56 Chevy is coming home after *six months* of paint and body work and needs reassembly... big project.

I also notified the other two inquiries I mentioned earlier, but they're Craigslist responses and I'd much rather see it go to somebody here! :)

10 hours ago, MrEarl said:

I like these sedans. MV10 is this the original paint and if not what is the quality of of the repaint. Also pictures of the engine bay and trunk would help. And what would it take to get it running.

Good questions.

Paint is an older respray in original color. It's not going to win any major awards but it doesn't look like a rattle can job either.

I'll get some engine bay and trunk pix later today.

"Ran when parked" :) No, seriously, I don't actually know. We swapped the fuel tank and lines, it was getting fuel but it just wouldn't fire. It did literally run before the swap (as in, I drove it into the garage to my lift). Somebody suggested the fuel pump might be full of trash from the old tank. I pulled that apart but it was clean inside (looks like the previous owner either replaced it with NOS or rebuilt it himself -- that clean). So... it comes with a late 55 fuel-pump rebuild kit for you multi-Buick owners! I haven't reinstalled the fuel pump, but in all honesty I don't know why it won't start. Job situation changed, spare time declined preciptiously, and I simply ran out of time to continue playing with cars.

The photos in my original post have caused some confusion. They were taken before I sent the bumpers off for chrome -- there are no bumpers on the car now, and I only have a single set (rechromed) which are not installed now. The trunk is not rusted. There is a palm-sized spot of rot in the driver's floorboards that needs to be repaired, there is surface rust on the underside edge of the trunk lid, and there are spots in the usual locations along the rockers below the rear doors. Driver door glass is cracked but the front & rear glass is perfect, not even cloudy at the edges. I've also been asked what is original and apart from the wipers and ignition conversion everything is generally intact, including the accelerator pedal starter. I probably have 20 hubcaps in various conditions, I'd planned to move to the rounded style with script (I have a pretty clean set, I think they're 40s). A whole box of portholes, several extra tail light housings, etc.

For some reason the site isn't letting me upload new JPGs now...?

"There was a problem processing the uploaded file. Please contact us for assistance."

Apparently it likes the pictures today. Added a couple of how she sits now (there was some confusion about what chrome was and wasn't installed, such as rear tail light housings). You can see all the fresh chrome stacked on the shelf ready to go. I was asked if that's the original / correct jack -- I don't know, it was in the car when I bought it. I assumed it was original but apparently the 55 is a one-off year for jack design. I don't know how to tell.

All the spray painting on the grille/bar was somebody's idea of "hot rodding," I'm guessing. I'd planned to change it to teeth of some kind. But I think the grille part is in pretty good shape if somebody wanted to strip it.

Edit: Wow. I'd heard of cameras adding 40 pounds, but I didn't know they also add dust...

IMG_20170224_115831.jpg

IMG_20170224_115841.jpg

IMG_20170224_115917.jpg

IMG_20170224_115940.jpg

IMG_20170224_120028.jpg

IMG_20170224_120059.jpg

IMG_20170224_121233.jpg

IMG_20170224_121455.jpg

IMG_20170224_121510.jpg

IMG_20170227_102729.jpg

IMG_20170227_102744.jpg

IMG_20170227_102756.jpg

IMG_20170227_102818.jpg

IMG_20170227_102830.jpg

Edited by MV10 (see edit history)

Good details. That is not an original jack and that bird ornament in the trunk is a '56....  might be a few guys on this forum looking for one.  You need to hurry up and sell this so I don't get all foolish when my tax returns come.  :)

Edited by wndsofchng06 (see edit history)

34 minutes ago, MrEarl said:

If he has the hook that slips into the mechanism, looks original/correct to me?... but I have been known to be wrong,  one time, when I thought I was wrong about something... turned out to be right..... :lol:

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought the vertical pole on the original jack had a more rounded front, this one looks very square to me....

jack base.jpg

7 hours ago, wndsofchng06 said:

and that bird ornament in the trunk is a '56....  might be a few guys on this forum looking for one

Yeah I always liked that, thought about swapping it since my hood ornament is more whiskers than chrome. Unfortunately the eBay photo wasn't the piece I received (you can see the bottom piece is pretty rough) but I got it so cheaply it wasn't worth fighting. Saw a '55 with the '56 ornament at Lone Star Roundup last year, really wish I'd had the time to do the swap.

On 2/13/2017 at 7:17 AM, MV10 said:

Sure hope she doesn't wind up parted out.

Then put that condition in the written, legal sales contract,

with a substantial penalty paid to you if the car IS parted out.

If a person really is going to give it a good home,

he should have no objection.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Then put that condition in the written, legal sales contract,

with a substantial penalty paid to you if the car IS parted out.

If a person really is going to give it a good home,

he should have no objection.

I don't feel that strongly about it...

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 11:36 AM, wndsofchng06 said:

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought the vertical pole on the original jack had a more rounded front, this one looks very square to me....

jack base.jpg

Are you saying Buick had only one jack supplier for all their 1955 cars? If 1955 suppliers were the same as 1953 suppliers and I'm assuming they were, there were three...Walker, Universal, and Auto Specialties Manufacturing Company. The picture above, with a circular reinforcement around the vertical pole and the stamped "U", is a base that was made by Universal. Note the different base profiles in the picture below...all three are different...that was taken from a 1953 BPSB.

1-Scan.jpg.c9ec82aca759c91d06337148027f61fd.jpg

Lamar is back down to one mistake. :D

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

Edited by 1953mack (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Thank you for the clarification I wish I could remember who it was that told me that originally. I was not saying there was only one supplier was simply asking if what I was told was correct. I had two cars that had the first Jack pictured in your photo both Jacks were subsequently scrapped as I was informed there was no way they were 55