Trending - Pre-War swap meets!

Terry Bond

Do I see a new trend in swap meets?  There seems to be increasing interest/emphasis on Pre-War swap meets.  Could it be that we're finally getting tired of looking at miles of T shirts, model cars and imported tool vendors?   Hope the pre-war events do well and help us get back once again to the "good old days."  Although they are probably gone forever, I think having a few specialty events like these will give us some events to concentrate on.   Bakersfield, Luray, and others - hats off to organizers for keeping the tradition alive!   How about a comprehensive list of focussed events like these to choose from?

Terry

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I sure hope so Terry ! 

I avoid some of the monthly local meets because I am growing tired of passing row after row of re-pop and trinkets...

Unfortunately the local shoe box events are for the hotrod/ratrod crowd. Kind of makes it miserable on a pre-war purist to say the least. I do find some interesting stuff at times but the ratio is 1 out of every 12 trips I make if I'm lucky.

If you are correct and there is a trend on the east coast,  I CANNOT WAIT till it gets to the west coast  !

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

With the increase in USPS postage rates the swap meet is looking like a winner again for selling.   So the cost of fuel drops 40% and the USPS raises it's rates something like 12% go figure.  REALLY hard to sell a $5 item when shipping is $7.50

I'll be putting together my Luray Pre-War offerings this weekend and will post pics of the old stuff....

Edited by Wowabunga (see edit history)

@TerryBond that was the story at Hershey last year. That was my first time visiting Hershey. Those jake legged repop side vendors  could've had their own field. Had enough of that crap. It's called eBay if you want that crap. 

• Like 2

On 5/18/2016 at 10:58 PM, embe5412 said:

@TerryBond that was the story at Hershey last year. That was my first time visiting Hershey. Those jake legged repop side vendors  could've had their own field. Had enough of that crap. It's called eBay if you want that crap. 

Gotta say, I find all the good parts on eBay anymore.  Haven't found a good part in the flea market in a number of years now.  But I sure like the idea of a pre-war swap meet.  If there are still enough parts out there, good parts, nos parts, then it's a great idea.

• Like 1

I'm not a expert by any means on pre-war parts... but last week I loaded everything I had that looked "old" into my pickup and hauled it to Luray VA.   I was surprised that I made a profit.  ( and only have to miss 2 days of work )

The past 3 years at Hershey I've lost money vending.   ( and I miss 4 days of work )

But, but, but... people will say it's not about the money, it's supporting the hobby.  Well guess what... I have the opportunity to buy a 1953 Fruehoff Stainless 30ft Trailer this month and I need the money to save this beauty and support the hobby.  Owner will be cutting the legs off of her any day now, and to see this beauty turned into a storage shed would be a cry'n shame.

If you don't hear back from me for a while... I'll be bust'n my arse sell'n vintage stuff try'n to pocket some money...

2200x.JPG

A bit off topic, but this thread title triggers a memory: Maybe 25 years ago I was having a discussion with another old car type and he was bemoaning the disappearance of "pre-war" parts at swap meets and I was commiserating with him as I'd found that many parts for my '33 were becoming less available. It finally dawned on me that to him "pre-war" was pre-WW1 as his interests were in cars of the teens (previous century teens, not the ones we are in now) while to me "pre-war" was pre-WW2.

Funny how the a word or phrase brings up totally different connotations in different people.

Hey, I'm a buyer if you've got some good old odd-ball spark plugs!   Wish I could have made it to Luray.  Wouldn't mind trying to bring a few goodies for a table there sometime in the future.  Unfortunately it conflicted with the Vineland NJ AACA National Meet. 

Interesting observation about what's old or not.  Several years ago I was wandering around at Hershey and caught a vendor unloading some neat stuff, asked if he had "any old spark plugs."  He said yeah, and rummaged around for a few mins, producing a box of new 1960s cad plated Champions.  When I explained I was looking for "really old plugs from the 1910s, 20s, he looked at me and said "Mr, a 57 Chevy is old to me."    I'm sure for some the term "pre war" can have different meanings too.

14 hours ago, Terry Bond said:

Hey, I'm a buyer if you've got some good old odd-ball spark plugs!  

In my travels older spark plugs rarely show up.  When I find one I get all excited that I might have that one super rare one.  Yet to unfold LOL.

Am going thru a box of suspension parts from the 20-30's this weekend, thankfully I have a substantial resource library of parts books. Normally I cant afford to get into a bidding war on old parts, but them old OEM parts books time after time prove their value.

On May 22, 2016 at 6:12 AM, Dynaflash8 said:

Gotta say, I find all the good parts on eBay anymore.  Haven't found a good part in the flea market in a number of years now.  But I sure like the idea of a pre-war swap meet.  If there are still enough parts out there, good parts, nos parts, then it's a great idea.

I agree. I've noticed the good nos parts at the swap meet are mostly for cars I don't own. It's just that eBay kills the thrill of the hunt for nos & nors parts, but I have been able to find most of the parts for my project from it. 

Well.............. my experience with eBay vs Flea Markets was never so vivid as a few years ago at Carlisle Truck Show.   Brought with me 6 tubs of NOS fresh out of storage blue FORD Truck parts from the 60s thru early 80s.   For 2 days not a single person made an attempt to dig thru the tubs/stuff.   On the last day one guy took the time to root thru the tubs.

Hummmm.... I just figured that the internet ebay routine had spoiled most shoppers.   Much easier to hit a computer button and have the part delivered middle of next week.  Digging thru boxes and boxes of old parts is no longer in style.

Me personally, I'll climb up into your truck at a swap meet and help you unload just to get first crack at the treasure :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have been approached to informally inquire if members of Northwest prewar car clubs would be interested in participating in a Prewar Only swap meet to be held in Brooks OR.  Antique Powerland has several acres of swap meet space available in conjunction with the Northwest Vintage Car and Motorcycle Museum & The Branch 15 Early Day Engine & Tractor Assn.  Powerland charges a gate admission of only $6 per car and parking is free.   No busses, no modern iron for sale, but lots of prewar parts & vehicles for sale.

If you agree that a prewar only swap meet is a good idea, and would like to participate and/or have questions & suggestions to make it a success, please contact Doug Nelson dokayllc@earthlink.net

On June 23, 2016 at 2:46 PM, West Peterson said:

Yes, please. We have a 1942 Ford COE which would look good pulliing that trailer.

Have not been back to see the lady but stopped in Monday.   Since I was hauling my 1962 Shasta Compact Camper ( with wings ) I figured I could stop in and keep my name fresh in her mind.  She remembered my name, I pointed to my love of old trailers with my Shasta in tow...... and hope'n for the best the lady starts tell'n me it's not for sale.  Says "A Million Dollars" and I won't sell it.

The one bartering chip I didn't have was cash in hand.  I'm gonna be patient and give it another try later this summer with cash next try.  I did let her know that cutting the feet and wheels off the antique trailer was not a good idea.

Bumped into another lady who has a stainless trailer sitting in the woods on one of her properties.  She doesn't know if it's round or flat on front.... I'll be chasing after that lead next week.