Toolshed stored 1959 Buick Electra 4 door

Bob H

1959 Buick Electra 4 door sedan parked in the shed since 1970 with a blown engine. Complete and restorable, surface rust. Car is in Southwestern Washington state. Title lost but car still with the family. Rates a 5 minus on the condition scale, which in my year old price guide shows a value of just over $2000. Reasonable offers entertained.

post-94545-143142207968_thumb.jpg

post-94545-143142207661_thumb.jpg

post-94545-143142207675_thumb.jpg

post-94545-143142207688_thumb.jpg

post-94545-143142207954_thumb.jpg

post-94545-143142207982_thumb.jpg

You should be able to apply to your state DMV for a DUPLICATE TITLE.

The license plate should match the registration , hopefully in the glove box, and may have the Title #.

In any event, knowing the owner at the time of last registration will help, especially if that person is still alive. If not, then having the death certificate and will is the next step.

• 1 month later...

I want to move this post to the top of the list. If this doesn't work a little help is welcome. There seems to be little or no interest in this car. Not really a surprise as it seems to me that project cars are in low demand in this economy. The car will eventually end up as scrap because no family member has any interest in restoring it. I'll not "bump" it again. Thanks, Bob H

Some advice: Pull it out and wash it off. Get a gallon of Marvel Mystery Oil and a pump sprayer and apply it all over the car. Let it sit that way for a week covered. Then come back and wash it off with an organic orange wash. The car's flash rust will be gone and it will shine. Have the family apply for a new duplicate title just takes the time to go to the local DMV and do the paper work and pay the fees.

Looks like a great car. Listing it on Hemmings would be my route to take. There are many old car listing sites as well. Yes the american economy has never been worse since 1932 but even then folks with the money had the money just like today and probably their descendants. :)

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. My note about the title in the original post was intended to reassure potential buyers that a title could be gotten with minimal hassle. The car isn't mine exactly but belonged to my departed father-in-law and now lives with his family of which I am a member. I have a 1939 Buick convertible project and don't have the inclination to do much with the 1959 myself. What I had hoped was someone in the Buick club might want to tackle it, need parts or want to trade for 1939 parts. The car is an hour drive from me and not handy to do any detailing or touch-up. I don't see much sense in getting a title for a parts car or to scrap it, if someone wants to restore it a title is not difficult to get. Thanks again for your thoughtful advice. Bob H

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. My note about the title in the original post was intended to reassure potential buyers that a title could be gotten with minimal hassle. The car isn't mine exactly but belonged to my departed father-in-law and now lives with his family of which I am a member. I have a 1939 Buick convertible project and don't have the inclination to do much with the 1959 myself. What I had hoped was someone in the Buick club might want to tackle it, need parts or want to trade for 1939 parts. The car is an hour drive from me and not handy to do any detailing or touch-up. I don't see much sense in getting a title for a parts car or to scrap it, if someone wants to restore it a title is not difficult to get. Thanks again for your thoughtful advice. Bob H

Bob,

That would depend on what state you live in. Perhaps in Oregon it is different, but in North Carolina it is near impossible to title a car on a bill of sale alone. For many states a pre-existing title is a necessity and would in your case certainly help you sell your car.

Thanks,

• 2 weeks later...

Man I remember shipping cross country for 600! HA !!! I don't need another project anyhow but I do have a nice running nailhead sitting here that would purr under her hood. I'll ask around and see if there's any local interest. Definitely don't want to see it scrapped!

Understandably, freight could be a significant factor when considering the purchase of any collector vehicle. If anyone is laying off this car for that reason I am offering to split the shipping costs with the buyer. Negotiate a purchase price and I'll discount that by half of the shipping cost to your destination. Proof of shipping agreement would be required of course. Thanks, Bob H

Understandably, freight could be a significant factor when considering the purchase of any collector vehicle. If anyone is laying off this car for that reason I am offering to split the shipping costs with the buyer. Negotiate a purchase price and I'll discount that by half of the shipping cost to your destination. Proof of shipping agreement would be required of course. Thanks, Bob H

That's quite the offer Bob!

• 1 year later...

I know its a longshot but is the Buick still available for sale? I would be very interested in purchasing.

Luis, the 1959 Buick Electra 225 still lives in the toolshed in Onalaska WA and seeking a happy home. Bob H

Guest Luis M.

Hello Bob,

What are you looking to get for it? I used to have one before going into the Army. My wife had to get rid of it while I was deployed. Now I'm retired and looking to make that a project. If possible I'd like to take a look at the Buick. I live locally just north in Spanaway.

Luis M.

Edited by Luis M. (see edit history)

Guest Luis M.

Hello Bob,

What are you looking to get for it? I used to have one before going into the Army. My wife had to get rid of it while I was deployed. Now I'm retired and looking to make that a project. If possible I'd like to take a look at the Buick. I live locally just north in Spanaway.

Luis M.

Luis:

Sorry for not promptly replying to your posts, we are on an extended road trip across the US and are currently in Virginia. Our home is in Rainier, Oregon but don't expect to be back there until November first or thereabouts.

We called my bother-in-law in Onalaska, where the car is stored, to set up a time for you to look at it. Surprise, after all this time he says that he sold it------maybe.

The guy hasn't picked it up or paid for it yet. All I can tell you right now is that we'll let you know probably next weekend or before if the car is still available. Apologies for the hassle.

Bob H

• 3 months later...
Guest Luis M.

Hey Bob,

I was just wondering if your brother inlaw might still have some of the engine accessories to the 59 Buick. As luck would have it the Buick came back up on sale.

Luis M.

Luis M., I live in Puyallup and work in Tacoma.  If you're in Spanaway and succeed in buying this Buick, please let me know.  We have a number of 1959 Buick owners / enthusiasts (including me!) in the area, and we'd love to get together with you.

Email:  brianL@americanconstco.com

--Brian