Casting Hard Rubber

Steve Braverman

Devcon 80 has a Shore A hardness rating of 80 (comparible to the heel of a shoe) is actually in the urethane family, and molds quite nicely. There is also an additive available if you want to make the mixture softer. Mix the two part Devcon 80 by weight (grams scale on a digital postal scale (77:23) works well. It's also available from Grainger.

Chris

Guest imported_Joe Kieliszek

Hello,

Not only bubbles, but pot life (about 10 minutes after fully

mixed) becomes an issue- especially if you are trying to

make something in a fully enclosed mold. Locating and retaining

a metal part within a molded piece also has to thought about,

as the urethane does not bond to metal. Solving these issues

is half the fun though; with some trial & error, you can

get really neat results.

Thanks,

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

A friend near me made motorcycle turn signal lenses using the very same method, but with very hard plastic. When he showed one of them to me he threw it onto the concrete floor as hard as he could...not a chip or scratch...I was VERY impressed.

• 8 years later...

In 1928 certain Durant models used a rubber motor mount to lessen vibration. I need to make or cast some of these from my originals. Wasn't aware of this product and with a hardness around 80 probably would be good. My other choice was to just buy the rubber blocks from McMaster Carr and cut them to fit.  Might have to look into this. Anybody know of anyone that does this that I can send my original rubber pieces to?

Many years ago, Bill (William A.) Cannon published "How to Cast Small Metal and Rubber Parts" as an A5 size book, 168 pp. He will be familiar to not-so-young Studebaker enthusiasts.

If you can get it into a vacuum chamber you will find it easier to remove the air bubbles before it sets with them in. I am planning on using the vacuum packing pump in the kitchen.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)