Looking for Opinions what to do - re: 1989 Cougar

dei

I know this is a can of gas question just waiting for a match but.....

I have this 1989 Mercury Cougar with only 45,000 miles (67,000 kms - corrected info) and just not sure what to do with. I thought my wife might like to drive it once she retires but has rethought that and says she wants to be in a vehicle like her Mini Van with better visibility.

I know it is not any kind of collectible car in that it only has the V6 but I find I drive my truck all the time and the car is just sitting which we all know isn't good either.

I'm the second owner, it has been factory rustproofed and after market also, never in an accident, always garage kept as she had a winter beater Dodge Magnum to use, had a complete tuneup and new alternator put on just before I got it and other than needing a new drivers door window lift (slips going back up without assistance) is in great condition.

post-36036-143142592919_thumb.jpg

I drove it a bit when we first got it and soon decided to store it for the wife.... Every year I have gone out, fired it up, drained about 5 gallons of gas (or what I could), refilled with high test and a bit of stabilizer, drove around the property to exercise the brakes and after letting it cool down, put the cover back on and here I am today.

post-36036-143142592942_thumb.jpg

So..... the question, what would you do?

Should I keep it and continue what I'm doing (storage is reasonable), bring it out and drive it like an everyday car saving my truck or just put it up for sale to who ever likes or needs it?:confused:

post-36036-14314259291_thumb.jpg

post-36036-143142592938_thumb.jpg

Edited by dei (see edit history)

Guest AlCapone

I think the obvious question is, why would you keep it if you have no plans or interest ? Sell it and buy a new set of golf clubs ! Wayne

Sell it.

Guess I'm probably going to end up doing just that.

Was hoping someone might express what I originally felt about a vehicle with factory original condition and down the road being a good example of "how they were built" kind of thing but....

The next step will be calling the insurance company, getting a temporary plate in order to get the emissions test and run that tank of gas out of her before I think about what it is worth asking.

Thanks for the feed back guys. With no real push from my wife to "get rid of it" this time, needed to read it for myself.

Originally Posted by bhambulldog

Sell it.

Guess I'm probably going to end up doing just that.

Was hoping someone might express what I originally felt about a vehicle with factory original condition and down the road being a good example of "how they were built" kind of thing but....

The next step will be calling the insurance company, getting a temporary plate in order to get the emissions test and run that tank of gas out of her before I think about what it is worth asking.

Thanks for the feed back guys. With no real push from my with to "get rid of it" this time, needed to read it for myself.

Hopefully the person that picks it up will be someone that appreciates it and will take care of it. As apparently, you are not in tight to have to sell it, perhaps you can vet the potential buyers. And cul those that don't appear ​worthy.

Edited by bhambulldog (see edit history)

Ya I am not pressed to sell her but not emotionally connected to it either.

The thing holding me back a bit is this, my 1951 Nash while having 100,000 registered miles on it with original paint and upholstery would not be the car it is today had Dad not bought it back in 1967 for 500 bucks as it was 'just an old car' then too....

He even had the President of our Car Club say to him, What did you buy that thing for? Find one today that is original like this!

I know I can't save them all so indeed will do my best to list it where someone will appreciate it for what it is.

Mean time, I have a call into the Insurance Co and will be at least getting back on the road for now...

Nice car, from the photo it looks like it has the 60/65 amp 2G alternator that has been notorious for causing electrical shorts, etc. If the car was to used as a daily driver it might be a good idea to do an upgrade. Ford also made a 100 or 110 amp alternator, some have done the 3G conversion that has 130 amps.

Just finished conversation with my antique car insurance company and because the Cougar is now 25 years old (and the low mileage) it has been added to my policy. That in itself helps to get it out and drive her. Will pick up a new battery Saturday and if time, make arrangements, go out and bring it home.:)

Nice car, from the photo it looks like it has the 60/65 amp 2G alternator that has been notorious for causing electrical shorts, etc. If the car was to used as a daily driver it might be a good idea to do an upgrade. Ford also made a 100 or 110 amp alternator, some have done the 3G conversion that has 130 amps.

Just exactly how do I verify the alternator you speak about? It was replaced in 2005 because it would not charge the battery then. I'm not familiar with Ford products.

I'd hate to have anything happen at this point.

post-36036-143142602519_thumb.jpg

And yes, it is a really nice car. Just wish the wife liked it for herself......

post-36036-143142602668_thumb.jpg

post-36036-143142602524_thumb.jpg

post-36036-143142602528_thumb.jpg

post-36036-143142602651_thumb.jpg

The 2G has a big connector with 3 wires coming out of it, instead of using a heavy cable bolted to a stud with a nut. I understand these wires can get hot, so hot that the alternator can even start a fire. The 110 amp ones I've seen have stud and nut I'm guessing for a cable, this alternator might be better and easier to install, but I just don't know much about it. From what I'm trying to remember, The 3G conversion involves running 2 of the wires together to the stud on the the 3G, then running a cable from the stud though a mega fuse to the battery and the starter solenoid, the other one is a stator wire that is connected to a connector and plugged into the 3G. I did this conversion on my '89 Lincoln, I'll look it again.

Looks like a very nice Cougar. Some people are o.k. with having multiple cars in various states of upkeep or neglect, others must have everything in apple pie order. Only you can judge what level you're comfortable with. If you tend towards the higher level of upkeep and condition, then it's probably a good idea to sell. You may want to consider advertising in Antique Automobile, since the readership is more focused on stock condition cars. While it's great that you are concerned about preserving a car for future collectors, if you sell the Cougar, any time or money you would have spent on it, plus whatever the sale proceeds are, can go towards improving or maintaining the rest of your fleet.

I had an all-original '68 Cougar that was given to me about the same time an all-original '84 Monte Carlo w/ 42k miles was left to me by a relative, which was at about the same time I acquired my '86 Olds 442 (25k miles). With a two-car garage, and two cars already, I couldn't take them all in. I declined the Monte Carlo, kept the Cougar in a storage unit and my driveway for 13 years and then sold it, and the 442 now occupies a space in the garage. I thought the Cougar was a neat car, but had no attachment to it, I do miss it a bit, but I don't miss the insurance, registration, and storage fees. And the sale proceeds went towards improving two of my other cars.

• 2 weeks later...

Well it is officially on the road as of this evening!

After putting in a brand new battery and eliminating a possible issue with an old one, things went surprisingly well on our 38 mile trip home for having been off the road since September of 2007.

post-36036-143142625039_thumb.jpg

Didn't have time to give her a decent bathing or tire cleaning but will have time this weekend to do it justice. The plan for now is to run that old gas out of the tank asap and put some miles on it the balance of this summer. I know there is one show coming up in August that I want to attend with it and then will see after that .......

post-36036-143142625057_thumb.jpg

I think the Cougar is interesting. It should be

saved as a future collector car--whether by you

or by some sympathetic buyer. After all, it's in

excellent condition, has low mileage, and is 25 years old.

Whatever happens, it should NOT go to someone who

will use it as a daily driver and eventually just drive it into the ground.

If you like it enough to drive it often then of course keep it. If it is a garage or driveway queen then selling it might be kind of difficult since not many people would want a used car of that age especially since newer cars have so many more safely features. You might take a look at donating it to a charity group either for their use, or some charity groups take used cars, tune them up, and then give them to a poor family so they can have transportation to get to work and take their kids to school and such. Such a donation will give you the full book value as a tax write-off which for some people can be more cash in their pocket than what they can get for selling it while they are doing a good deed.

Guest Tusler 49 New Yorker

Donate it to one of those "cars for kids" groups and get a receipt for much more than you could ever sell it for and right off your taxes...

Mr. Tusler 49, tax laws changed a few years ago,

so no longer can one donate a car and get an

artificially high write-off. That loophole was closed,

so now the write-off is only for the amount the charity

sells the car for.

And I don't think a poor family would take good care of

the car. I recommend the Cougar go to a collector--

whether the current one! or another dedicated hobbyist.

Thanks everyone for all the varied feed back. It is giving me something to think about including my experience yesterday at a local car show.

I drove up to the car show entrance with the Cougar and the young fellow in his bright red vest says to me, "The road is closed sir". I said, "I know, I'm here to show my car". With a look on his face like he didn't believe me he finally said OK, go park your car and please register. With that I turned right and being that the show was on a main street proceed to go between the the parked show cars and pedestrians till what is stopped in front of me? A very robust officially dressed Ontario Provincial Police man with flack jacket on, gun in holster and sitting on his bike. When he finally came up to the the window he said, "Just where do you think you're going?"

I snapped back, "I'm showing the car, was told to park and go register".

With a bit of hesitation on his part I added, "The car is 25 years old now and that makes it officially an antique" to which he said, "Ok but be careful driving in here". SHEEESH! Like I've never been to a car show before!

So based on those reactions I guess the Cougar is just an old car (not a collectable) ........even though many people did stop and take a look or two. Thinking now I'd better not get my hopes up on a sale price for a USED CAR.......

Doug, be aware that every single one of today's

collectible cars was once "just a used car!"

You've probably read of Classics such as V-16 Cadillacs

and Duesenbergs languishing on used car lots

in the late 1930's and 1940's. "Let's buy this old thing

and drive it into the ground! It's just a Duesenberg,"

someone might have said.

When one of our members joined our region years ago,

his 1940 Pontiac was "just a used car" to some.

But people welcomed him, time passed, and he still has

that car, cherishing it as his first antique.

Our annual car show had Lincolns, Mercuries, and Edsels

as the feature-class cars this year. Sure we had plenty

of the old stuff. But among the cars in the class

were Lincoln Town Cars from the late 1980's, and a

red 1988 Mercury Cougar XR7 coupe.

Endure the indignities. Keep your car pristine. There aren't

many low-mileage Cougars like yours in such nice shape. Years from

now, you or some other collector will be glad you preserved it.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

First, thanks John for the words of encouragement.

Second and more important:

I've had a Homer Simpson moment... DOH!

When I inherited this car and made the decision to store it for a while 7 years ago I wrote down the mileage and took a few pictures. What I didn't realize when I did this, with the dash readings being able to go between miles & kilometers, went and...... calculated the mileage thinking it was reading kms .....oopps.

Here is that actual mileage which I will correct on my signature too;

post-36036-143142629564_thumb.jpg

It is still fairly low for a car this age but does change things some. However, can't argue the overall condition.

Not only was it rustproofed from the Dealership it was also treated from an aftermarket company years later.

post-36036-143142629582_thumb.jpg

I spent a few hours Sunday checking fluids and ended up wiping down things under the hood. There is much more to do but it is a start.

Here is what I started with:

post-36036-143142629586_thumb.jpg

And not too long after......

post-36036-14314262961_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile, as you can see, the miles per gallon are not good with that old gas in it and once it gets below 1/4 tank will fill up and see if that changes. It is running smoother every time I go out and I am having fun driving her (and using the excuse I need to burn this old gas). Even took the wife out to the lake for ice cream and maybe coax her into liking it more......

post-36036-143142629569_thumb.jpg

post-36036-143142629574_thumb.jpg

post-36036-143142629578_thumb.jpg

post-36036-143142629602_thumb.jpg

Doug, I follow Buicks more than anything else, but have other cars too.

Since 2000 I've had a 1995 Buick Riviera--

similar to your Cougar situation. I especially appreciated

the fact that it has a rare 60/40 cloth front seat with column shift.

I'd estimate 98% of Riviera buyers in that era chose the optional

console and floor shift.

I drive my Riviera maybe 2000 miles a year. I haven't taken it to

any car shows, but I'm thinking long-term. It has 50,000 miles.

Low mileage implies excellent condition to many hobbyists, but

noted car author Tim Howley once wrote an article for the Lincoln

and Continental Owners' Club, pointing out that many low-mileage

cars have unseen problems because they were idle for years and

not stored properly. He wrote that if a car has reached 100,000 miles

and still runs well, it may even be a better purchase than a low-mileage car!

So don't let the odometer, or other people's opinions,

be your master in making any decisions.

You'll have fun enjoying your Cougar. 46,000 miles is still low

for a 25-year old car, but condition is more important. The Cougar

is a coupe from an era when coupes were disappearing. Appreciate the

fact that you have a future collectible!

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

• 3 months later...

Well, at this point in time I still have the Cougar and while I did not push the sale this year decided to put it back in storage for the winter. Plan on bringing it out in April when the weather breaks and once I replace the window lift will see what then what market says to me.

With the tank topped off and some gas treatment off we went the 28 miles to park for the winter.

post-36036-143142830828_thumb.jpg

Battery disconnected, dryer sheets in place and cover put on. The computer display showed that it was using only 8 L per 100km or 27 miles to the gallon going 58 miles/hr.

The odometer reading was: 69823.2 kms

post-36036-143142830833_thumb.jpg

See you in April 2015.

post-36036-143142830823_thumb.jpg

Sitting here watching the snow coming down and waiting for that first call to go out to shovel, reflecting on the past summer looking over gas receipts for the Cougar.....

I was able to register for 4 local fun type Car shows (non judged), managed one night at the Woodward Dream Cruise, drove to a good sized swap meet filling the trunk, connected with another couple who have a 78 Mercedes SL and would like to do more shows with us,

drove 2,522 kms (1513 miles) at a cost of $352.00 cdn with no major issues after 7 years storage before putting her away again for this winter......

In retrospect kind of nice to just be able to turn a key and go.