SURVEY: DO YOU HAVE ALUMINUM HEADS

no more

Hi Group........ALL YOU PREWAR OWNERS WHO ARE CAPABLE OF RESPONDING..OR WILLING TO RESPOND..( ALL 20 OF YOU) DO YOU HAVE ALUMINUM HEADS?? NOS..REPRO..SCOBEL OR FROM THAT MFT GUY IN TEXAS...

I HAVE A 40..BUT MY ALUMINUM HEADS HAVE BEEN TROUBLE ..AND CRACKED.....I AM ASHAMED TO SAY I HAVE IRON THAT WORK TROUBLE FREE..

JB lzoc 1232

oHIo

post-42764-143137905631_thumb.jpg

Guest delson

My '39 sedan had castiron replaced by my brother-in-law back in the '50s. (It has

been in my wife's family since 1944.) The car was "restored" in the 1980's but the

heads were not changed. I decided to on a re-restoration this year. I put alum heads

from Kearney Foundry on, but the car is still in the restoration shop so have

no experience with them.

Don

OK one more time!

I have a 40 Z too amongs others, with Aluuminum heads, they are nice to have

but it won't correct your cooling problem, Your block is full of junk in the back

and until you get it cleaned out your engine won't run cool as it should.

Thats why Henery put those freeze plugs on the engines oil pan sealing

surfaces.

I grew up with Lincolns and even though pepole that had them, and using the

best radiator solutions for cleaning the block, it still collected scale

and rust created by water etc. they stll had to take out the freeze plugs

to satifactorily clean the block.

Zman

Now adays I use denmin water with my antifreeze and both my 12's

run at normal temps, even on the hotest days

I DIDNT ASK ABOUT ALUMINUM HEAD FOR ANY REASON EXCEPT TO TRY TO GET A TOPIC THAT WOULD BE INTERESTING AND TOPICAL..I REMOVED MY ALUMINUM HEADS FOR REPEATED CRACK REPAIRS....AND I GOT THE ANSWERS I WAS LOOKING FOR...SEEMS MOST PEOPLE THAT CAN USE A COMPUTOR...AND DRIVE AN H-V12 HAVE IRON HEADS....BUT THERE ARE STILL PRICY NEW ONES..NOS ONE'S AND OTHERS FLOATING AROUND....AVAILABLE FOR DECENT PRICE..JUST NOT MY BUDGET THIS WEEK!!

OK one more time!

I have a 40 Z too amongs others, with Aluuminum heads, they are nice to have

but it won't correct your cooling problem, Your block is full of junk in the back

and until you get it cleaned out your engine won't run cool as it should.

Thats why Henery put those freeze plugs on the engines oil pan sealing

surfaces.

BUT ..MY BLOCK BELONGED TO WHELIHAN, BOUGHT IN THE 70S...OVERHAULED (HALF [censored]) THEN STORED NAKED..GREASED AND SHRINKWRAPPED IN MY CLIMATE CONTROLLED GARAGE FOR 25 YEARS UNTILL I REBUILT IT LAST FALL....IT WAS HOT TANKED AND MACHINED BY RANDY GTROST AT HARTS AUTO MOTIVE IN CECIL OH, WITH NEWFREEZE PLUGS ETC.......AND YES I AM GONNA PULL THE PAN AND TRIPLE CHECK THOSE AREAS THIS WINTER...BUT THE CAR IS VERY DRIVEABLE AT THIS TIME ...II JUST WANT TO GO 80 MPH WITH THE OTHER BIG BOYS!!

YOUR ADVISE IS APPRIECIATED AND TAKEN TO HEART..I SWEAR...I USE THIS CAR AS A CAR...NO GARAGE QUEEN HERE...

JEFF

LZOC 1232

SYLVANIA OHIO

Jeff,

Welcome fellow Buckeye football fan (ranked #1), and the best too from OSU-Ellen, from back in your micro-bus days!! Good to see you haven't lost your quick wit & humor We have iron heads in our 40 sedan as well. My Dad swapped out the alum heads before he ever got the Zeph running again in mid 70's - couldn't say why, I helped a lot with paint/tranny etc, but not heads -too young to appreciate and too busy working two jobs and college back then. Was in a Chicago older lady's garage for 17 years before her milkman bought it. Then he never moved it out of her garage for 4 more years before we bought it from milkman, so maybe heads corroded bad after sitting 21 years. Our heads now are iron, painted alum. No problems with heads, but I too overheat, and like many others, I kick in the secondary radiator often (run the heater when its 90's outside!). Sounds I need to pull rear plugs and do a full clean out. But I want to send dist out to check timing first, because that will cause overheat as well. Take care, Paul (& Ellen)