sounds coming form the front end.

jonlabree

I hope someone can help me with this.

I have a strange sound coming for the front end of my 90 Reatta.

It is hard to describe, but I will try.

It does not seem to be related to the front wheels, as it occurs

not in sync with them. The closest I can come to describe it is to say it sounds like something is loose inside of something else. It occurs only when the car is moving and some times is related to bumps in the road and other times not. It is coming from the front. (Not rear brake pads) The Buick dealer

could not duplicate the sound on the rack and was stumped. One mechanic said it

"might be struts" but he was not sure.

Anyone experience this problem. The car has 100,000 miles on it and I do not

know the repair record on it.

Thanks in advanec

JON... confused.gif [color:"blue"]

Could be upper strut <span style="font-weight: bold">mount</span> or wheel bearings?

Test

Drive, listen for noise, then turn right.

If wheel bearing problem the noise will increase or decrease as you load the outside bearings and unload the inside wheel bearing?

Turn left.

If wheel bearing problem the noise will increase or decrease as you load the outside bearings and unload the inside wheel bearing?

A wheel bearing noise will increase when turning one direction and decrease the other direction.

Final test. Sometimes when the front is jacked and the wheel spun you can feel/hear a slight noise. The other side will be quiet.

Strut mount is more of a squeak.

If its a low, soft, intermittant kinda like a "b bb bbb bb" replace the stuts. I had that for a while (and with a relatively new set of struts no less). Replacing the RH strut fixed it, but only after I had checked every other possibility, thinking "hey, the struts are new, can't be them".

You might wanna replace the strut mounts as long as you're there if they haven't been replaced recently.

I have similar problem. It started right after I changed out the link bushing sets for the Control Arm to Sway Bar point. My noise is kinda like heavy dice rattling around in a shaker cup. Seems to be located on drivers side only. Running over pot holes or large bumps doesn't cause it. Small washboard patches make it happen most often. It also appears when I decel. or coastdown.The very minor wheel balance I have also brings it on at about 50MPH. No CV joint symptoms and recently inspected. I have just about settled on the strut now because I have looked at sway bar bushings and tie rod ends and A arm piviots. Pulled, tapped, pried and cussed every component in the front end, even the E brake cable. I'm taking it to my local trusted shop (not dealer) and will report.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The upper strut mount as noted can be a problem as well as the sway bar mounting bushings.

The sway bar problem is fairly easy to isolate by pulling one side of the mounting. On a '90-'91, pull a wheel and remove the link between the "A" arm and sway bar. Drive the car and see if the problem goes away. If it does, the problem is probably one of the sway bar mounts. It could be worn out, loose, or the clamp might be rusted away.

Guest Reatta1

With 100k on the car and not being able to duplicate the sound on the rack I'd go with the struts. Specialy if they have never been replaced. You can't duplicate the symptoms of worn out or weak struts with the car sitting on a rack. Did your service advisor test drive the car before they put it on the rack?