Odd other cars

padgett

Have heard from several who also have Corvettes, Alf has his T'birds, I have a 70 Judge to go with the Reatta. 400 old style hp and a 4 speed. Lets me appreciate that the Reatta has "enough".

How may others have something odder than the Reatta in the garage ?

Guest F14CRAZY

My other DD is my '92 Ford Explorer XL. It's pretty unique since it's a 4 door with a 5 speed manual. Not many stickers with Explorers, and a lot less with 4 doors compared with 2. It's cool. Aka the Explorer GT.

A project I need to finish is a '49 Allis Chalmers G.

Snowmobile is a 1980 John Deere Trailfire 440.

My dad has a '57 John Deere 720 high clearance. Diesel, pony motor start, no power steering. All rebuilt. Not rusty but not painted, but mostly primed. He's selling it for a bundle. One of 40 built.

My dad also has a custom built '70s BMW cafe racer motorcyle (not a tricycle. Those are for un-real men that can't ride a real bike). Has a low compression, high performance 1915cc VW 4 banger. It's WIDE. And it's still kick start. He hasn't ridden it in a few years but it's in climate controlled storage in the barn. I havent been on it, but it flies.

Guest davidmullins

i have two olds toronado trofeo's.one 88 and one 89 with the touch screen like the reatta.both in very good condition.

Guest F14CRAZY

If you have a digital camera I'd sure appreciate being able to see what the color VIC of the Trofeo is like. I've yet to see one in person, or any decent photo at all.

My other car that is unique is a 1987 Buick Grand National which was the fastest U.S. production car in 87. I'd love to get this kind of horsepower and torque in my Reatta!!

This car looks similar to the other g-body cars of the era (Monte carlo, Olds Cutlass, Grand Prix). I still to this day get a lot of people who say: Nice Monte. Makes me cringe every time mad.gif But that is another story for another forum.

I have a 1970 AMX 390 ram air 4-speed 49K 425 ft pounds of torque pulling 2750 lbs (stock except headers)

1959 Impala 4dr hardtop 283 powerglide 49K

1976 chev blazer chalet (factory camper) 99k 4 wh dr (rusting away as I write this) Blazer chalet

(3) 1982 chev citation X-11's (2) 4 speeds (texas and kansas)and 1 auto (minnesota)

1986 pont 6000 STE new mexico car 82K

1987 pont 6000 STE fla car 52K

(3) 1985 pont Fiero GTs 1 with full koni race suspension and The really rare centerlines from the Indy pace car.

Guest DTerry

For cheap thrills topless, I picked up a '91 Mercury Capri last month. The drive home from Cleveland sure made me appreciate the Reatta. Four cylinder, 3700 turns at 70 mph, and lots of wind noise. (Well, duh, it's a convertible.) I always felt as if I should up-shift once more. Definitely not a freeway cruiser, but sure like the gas mileage. Figured it was the cheapest way to get the convertible bug out of my system. Mid-life crisis, delayed onset?

By the way, neither of the kids like to drive it...manual transmission. Have things changed, or what?

as a former Dodge dealer, my collection always has a few Mopars in it, including a 1984 Chrysler Town & Country station wagon (long live the K-car, it certainly put food on my table, and $$$$ in my pocket), a 1969 Chrysler 300 2 door hardtop (440 TNT, 49,000 original miles), two fraternal twins, a 1991 Dodge Monaco, and a 1991 Eagle Premier (both absolutely identical color combinations and equipment, even matching peeling paint), and an 03 Dodge V-10 dually pickup.

since we've started to part out one of our own 1990 Reatta convertibles, the GM field has been thinned by one. included are my 1990 driftwood coupe, a 1999 Cadillac DeVille, and an 2004 Buick Rendezvous. no Ford products are present, and none are expected to be invited home.

the most recent acquisition, and my pride and joy, is a 1983 Renault LeCar. if the make is a puzzlement, let me translate that into American: a REE-NAWLT LEEEE-KAWR.

found this one on ebay in December in San Francisco for a whopping $300. it's a one-owner car, and has the very desirable huge fabric sunroof that opens up about 80% of the roof. it's a one owner car that runs and drives perfectly. it's actually a very nice gold color, similar to driftwood, not one of those hideous early LeCar colors that looked like M&Ms.

now that the laughter has subsided, let me explain. roll the clock back a few years, to 1978. I'm 24, and head west to southern California, driving a brand new 1978 5 speed Cutlass Supreme that I had special-ordered in Cleveland for my move west. stupidly, I sold it a few months upon arrival in Long Beach, as this was a combination not available (the 5-speed manual transmission) in California new. however, if the car had over 7,500 miles, it could be sold there.

it was rather funny to watch the dealer's faces when I initially tried to trade it in. they ran when they saw the three pedals, and the fact that it did not have A/C. I ordered so many options (most less than $50), that the car had two window stickers...just no A/C. blame that one on the idiocy of youth. I ended up putting an ad in the Los Angeles Times with the header "don't like air?", and sold it in less than an hour. as you can see, this "strange car sickness" goes way back. even my first car, a 1965 Mustang, was weird. purchased from the original owner ($350 in 1972), it had only one option, a bench seat. not even a radio. have you ever seen a Mustang with a bench seat?

the Oldsmobile was replaced with most likely the worst car I have ever owned, a 1978 Ford Fairmont Futura. this one had a penchant for really major problems early on, including repeated engine fires, snapped clutch cables, and a nasty habit of dumping ice-cold water from the air conditioner on the passenger's feet on left turns. they just had to learn to lift their feet. one morning, one side of the rear axle came loose on an entrance ramp to the San Diego Freeway, cutting up and ruining a rear tire and wheel.

they could never figure out the engine fire problem; they just kept replacing the burned parts. finally, the next time the fire started I just pulled over on the side of the freeway. a good samaritan stopped with a fire extinguisher, but I made him wait to use it until the fire moved into the passenger compartment. this assured a total loss. good riddance.

I replaced the Fairmont with a new 1978 LeCar. everyone tried to talk me out of it, but let's face it, the #2 car on my list was a lime green new Fiat Super Brava. definitely made the right choice with the Renault. my dad assured me it would break down all the time; he had vivid memories of the delightful Dauphine of the 50's and early 60's.

three years (1981) and 191,000 miles later, I was still waiting for the breakdowns. with the exception of a set of tires and a $12 radiator repair, nothing ever happened.

I've been looking for a LeCar for a few years now, and this one I purchased in December was too good to pass up.

Mike

I have a 1961 Comet S-22. I bought it in 1979 for 50.00. It has been restored with the "three kids and a mortgage budget." It is not a Mercury yet. They became part of the Merc line in 1962. The Comet was intended to be part of the Edsel line. 60 and 61's are just Comets. The S-22 was introduced in mid year as a sporty upgrade. It has bucket seats, center console, carpeting, S-22 badging and the big six (170 CID). They produced 18k Comet S-22's in 1961.

Guest Buick Mike

I also have a '66 Corvette and a Buick GNX. While neither is odd per se, your chances of seeing a Reatta on the road are mega times greater than seeing either a mid-year Corvette or, especially, a GNX.

Mike

Guest maybe2fast

my dad has a 1965 Mustang Convet. 289 4bbl. white with a blue top and white and blue pony interior. with the GT exhaust valence. I Love that Car!

Guest checkers

My stable contains 5 reattas ( 3 coupes 2 converts), 1963 olds culass convert F 85 hurst 4 speed, 1961 F 250 Ford unibody, 1961 F600 Ford stake body 10,000 orignal miles. My daily drivers are 1996 reagal GS (wife's), mine is 2003 F 350 super duty and we are out of barn space

I have an 87 regal T-type. It is dark red metallic, which wasn't available for 87. It was an 86 colour. One of the 280 or so T-types imported to Canada.

I bought a 1998 L67 riviera about a month ago as a daily driver, and I must say I truly look forward to driving it every day. Emerald Green Pearl with a greenish leather interior. You don't see too many of those around. It replaced my smashed 94 LT1 roadmaster limited, which aren't too common either. Damn I loved that car frown.gif Deciding which is best between the roadmaster and the riv is a hard choice as they both kick an inordinate amount of ass.

I just bought a 1973 Land Rover 88", Left hand drive with 20000 mi from my girlfriend's father. He had a subaru/land rover dealership way back and he collected all kinds of spare parts when he closed shop. It comes with a Land rover winch, plow and all kinds of optionnal instruments! I can't say I've ever seen another one of those on the road, or off the road either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

the most recent acquisition, and my pride and joy, is a 1983 Renault LeCar. if the make is a puzzlement, let me translate that into American: a REE-NAWLT LEEEE-KAWR.

Mike </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Mike, we feel your pain. We'd all like to give you a group hug and tell you everything is going to be okay. Stay on those meds, and try not to be seen in public in that REE-NO. We're checking into 12-step programs for those obsessed with Simcas, Renaults and other automotive wannabes. Remember: We're here for you, Mike; don't forget that.

<span style="font-weight: bold">-- ALF</span> wink.gif

</span>

Guest F14CRAZY

Shelby: I just checked it out. It is cool after all. I wonder why the Reatta didn't have the "built for..." But didn't custom built Reattas have a plaque for the dash for this? It's interesting how the VIC has a few hard buttons for like radio control; unlike the ECC.

I like the looks of the Trofeo but my dad doesn't. Probably why we ended up with Reattas instead. But they ain't bad smile.gif I'll get one someday.

Mr. F14:

the Reatta did indeed have a plaque with the "specially built for" moniker. on the 1990-1991 models, it went on the front of the owner's manual portfolio, in the embossed rectangle on the lower right. it was gold, with the owner's name engraved.

always count on the "cesspool of knowledge" here. wink.gif

Mike

Guest DTerry

Probably the "oddest" car I ever owned was a Citroen GS. Four cyclinder, air-cooled, horizontally opposed as in old Volkswagen Beetle, but in the front with front wheel drive. The really odd part was the 3 level hydraulic suspension. Low for highway cruising, medium for in town (somewhat firmer suspension), and high for maintenance (I suppose, since it had no spring at all in the high position, absolutely rock-solid.) Didn't need a jack. Put the lever in high, put a jack stand under the corner of the wheel to be removed, then put the lever back to low. The wheels would retract, leaving the corner with the jack stand raised. I drove it hard for two years in the desert. Did replace the tranny once, no other mechanical problems. The overheat light would come on going up the mountain, then go out coming down. It was really a tough old machine. Not typically French...well, the design was weird enough to be French, but it was really too durable to believe it was French.

This from experience with a Renault (then REE-NAWLT; now RAY-NO) Dauphine. Had to be absolutely the worst car ever built. Twenty thousand miles and it was dead. Even the bumpers were worn out.

Had a Dauphine for a while but misplaced it (and never looked very hard. Had a friend who was obsessed with 4CVs (aka the army helemet). Think the only late one worth having was the R-5 (think one was used in "Never Say Never Again".

Do like FIATs: Had a 62 1500 for a while that could shift much faster than the clutch, an 850 "racer" that would buzz you to death, a 1438 cc DOHC 124 Spyder that was one of the most comfortable I have ever owned.

If te right 124 or 850 Spyder came along, it would be hard to resist in fact looked for one for a while until I found that you could get a much better deal on a Miata (which I did not buy anyway).

Used to really want a Facel-Vega HK-500 but think I have outgrown that now, if I buy a convertible it needs to be tiny and simple.

I setting home, recooperating from an operation and thought I would join in the post.

Like most of you, I would have many more cars but $$$, wife, and space tend to limit what we have. We recently traided our Regal GS (which I loved) for a Rendezvous (which Nancy really likes) The Rendezvous is ok once you are inside and can't see the outside. I believe it has the V6 version of the Northstar.

Since it is only two weeks old, I have not driven it anywhere except to town.

Time will tell how it preforms and if the gas mileage meets to sticker.

I have a 1991 white/red Reatta convertible that we have owned since 1992, We purchased the 1991 Maui Blue coupe last year. I own a 1965 Corvair Corsa convertible (4 carbs and 4 speed) that I purchased in 1968. My daily wheels, 2003 GMC pick-up.

The spare vehicle these days is the 1979 El Camino that I purchased for the granddaughter. However, my daughter decided that she should have a car with an airbag, so the granddaughter now has a 1996 BMW 328 convertible and I have an unfinished El Camino (anyone need one?)

My garage/workshop allow me to get 5 vehicles under roof, so I am presently one car over my limit, another reason for expediting the sales of the El Camino.

Don't even ask, "if you could own only one car, what would it be" that is an impossible question for a car guy.......there is NO one car.

Agree with Barney, there is no one *car* however there is an advantage to one *drivetrain*. I have always tended to fixate on drivertrains to a certain extent. First it was Jags (Columbo engine and Moss gearbox), after 'nam had a number of Corvairs (140-4spd Corsa conv., van, Fitch Sprint turbo) then SBC (Corvettes and Camaros), followed by 400-421 Pontiacs (still have a couple in the garage - Judge is still here but at one time also had a '70 GP 4-spd, '72 station wagon, and '67 GP convert).

Various onsies and twosies that did not last very long but still have a bunch of '67 Cadillac parts (if I ever have a garage sale, will have to advertise in Hemming's)

Now it is 3800s (Reatta, Bonneville, TranSport). Totally different vehicles but same drivetrains. Maybe this is why have not bought another convertible, all with 3800s are just too big.

Besides the nice '89 Reatta and the running but needing a lot '90, my Corvair convertible is a '63 that I have had for 25 years, my Avanti is a '78 with the Corvette 350ci V8, my Mercedes 300td diesel station wagon is an '80 converted to also run on used vegetable oil (odd enuf?), my '61 Ranchero Falcon is in mid engine swap for last several years after it spun a bearing starting for first time in 2 years. My bike is an '80 Honda CX500 shaftdrive watercooled twin. Previous vehicles include a BMW Isetta, a King Midget, 2 600cc Hondacars, a 360cc Suzuki "Brute" 4wd,an '87 Sterling w/ Acura running gear (loved to run at 100mph), a '55 Packard 400 coupe w/ loadleveling, a '51 Nash Ambassador 'bathtub','52 Desoto hemi SW, and '50 Stude starlight coupe (coming or going?), and so on. Am I getting odd enuf yet?

Dave

Guest imported_Stu Suede

Besides my 1991 Maui Blue, gray interior Reatta Coupe, which I've owned since 1995 and ironically my only GM, here's a list of my other cars, all Mopars:

1966 Dodge Charger with a 440 police intercepter, color midnight blue metallic with black interior

1967 Plymouth Barracuda Convertible, 273 2 barrel, color Copper metallic with Copper interior.

1983 Chrylser Imperial, complete with Mark Cross gift set, color Dark Grey metallic with silver leather interior.

1984 Dodge Rampage Shelby, metallic blue and silver exterior, with silver interior.

1991 Chrysler New Yorker 5th Avenue, my daily driver at 53,000 miles on her, white with burgundy interior.

1991 Chrysler TC by Maserati, just acquired with 59,000 miles on her, light yellow with ginger interior.

Thanks Padgett for bringing up the subject. The Reatta is quite a special car, the only one I own with its own craftsman signature log.

Guest geoman1

The oddest set of wheels I had was called a Pulse. It looked like a jet fighter. It was titled as a motorcycle but really had four wheels. Two of the wheels were to keep it from falling over when you stopped.They were mounted on little wings that you stood on to get in. As you started to move and pick up speed it would ride on the two main wheels only. As I said it looked like a jet fighter with a pointed nose and a smoked canopy that slid back to let two people ride tandem. It had a stering wheel and clutch, brake, and gas pedal. Shifter was on the right side of the driver and was done with a ratchet action like a motorcycle. The engine was a 4 cylinder Gold Wing. It had electric reverse. There was a small motor over the back wheel that was lowered by a lever with a push button next to the shifter. The lights were on the winglets and it had an electric pop up light on the nose. It was built and custom painted for the guy I bought it from in 1986 for $12,000. I have seen others but not like this one. I have the key chain that came with it. Made in its likeness and on the back it says Perry Motors Vineland, NJ. Turned alot of heads and not sure how many accidents. One of those things , I wish I still had!

Guest F14CRAZY

I remember seeing something like the Pulse you describe, but the outriggers retracted when it got to a decent speed. Anyone know of the name of that one?

Guest geoman1

I heard that when they stoped making the pulse that a company out west made one called star ship for a short time and maybe as a kit.

Guest tempest68

I liked my '68 Tempest when I had it. It had the OHC-6 motor that Pontiac only made for 4 years. Twas a 4-door, with the ST-300 2 speed auto (converted to 200R4 once I got it), 4-wheel drum breaks (yikes!).

Didnt have much time or money once became a homeowner, so sold it to buy the laptop I'm using right now. New owner traveled all the way from Michigan and trailered it back. Gentleman's first car was a 69 4-door in the same color (light blue). Price was right for him, knowing it needed a full restoration.

Guest MauiWowee

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> We're checking into 12-step programs for those obsessed with Simcas, Renaults and other automotive wannabes. </div></div>

My first car at 17 was the cheapest thing I could find the day I got a paycheck. It was a 1958 Simca, $80.00. I could make it sound like a French police car with the two tone horn, and the front seats would completely fold flat, turning the interior into a bed........very useful at the Drive-in. No one else appreciated these features, and after I blew the clutch I did not hesitate to junk it. It was replaced with a '57 VW which reduced the laughter somewhat.

I feel no regrets about not having it tucked into my garage now, like my '67 Camaro SS-350 project is.

Guest Gomer

Well my first car was a 1975 dodge dart. Wohoo. That slant 6 sure did go. NOT. Then I was given a 1974 ford country squire LTD station wagon by my great aunt. That thing passed everything except a gas station. I did love that car. Never left me stranded unlike the dart. Then came my Reatta. Great car to drive. I just wish our roads were in better shape so i could drive it more. Then I got my 1988 Pontiac 6000 wagon from my aunt. Good car but i have blown 2 transmissions and im now on my third. due to my last "car" my 1992 prostock. You have to look at the attached photo to understand. This was taken a week after i took it out for the first time. The frame is a 92 prostock for dirt track racing. It now has 35x12.50x15 tires on the rear (Diff welded) and it will soon be powered by 450 horses 350\360. Now if only I could get that much power into my reatta smirk.gif Its fun but it has taken alot of money to put together. That's all i have had for cars but im only 21 so i guess im off to a good start.

The oddest car I've had is a 1959 Gogomobile. It was tiny, but it could corner and scoot. Had a roller bearing crank, so was able to run high RPMs. Used a combined starter/generator bolted to the crankshaft. High RPMs would cause windings in the armature to seperate. It was a 2 cycle engine and had a oil pot that automaticaly mixed oil with the gas.

Current cars besides the Reatta is a Citroen SM, It has a 2.9L Maserati motor than can get it up to 145MPH. Last is a Citroen CX Prestige, it is the streched version of the regular CX. The hydraulics in both these cars give great handling, steering and brakes.

Santa Rosa: isn't that the home of ZAP , sole US importers of the Samart Car ? 3 cyl turbocharged is pretty odd. California company that cannot sell cars in California is odder yet.

They are here, but the only time I hear about them is when they are once again on the verge of bankrupcy and need a white knight. Their cars are expensive compared to the other high fuel mileage cars and they don't hold any value. They will soon start selling the Mercedes Benz tiny car. Maybe with that name they can sell some.